Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Lets have some sholders to cry on...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 12:42 AM
Frank_Bullitt
1st Gear Member

Default Lets have some sholders to cry on...

Well I was kinda thinking that us old mustang lovers here haven't done much bonding and that I just won't have. (No I am not a frut-loop)

I was thinking a good way to start this out would be to talk about things that has happend to us on the road, buildings, and work shops. I mean I have had tons of things go wroung when doing a upgrade or trying to restore a part. And sometimes it's just a major downer. Maybe we can find ways to help one another in these down points and make re-doing a oldie not seem so "Bad".

Well I guess I would start off by saying that I have been real down lately about my baby. I have been totally working the inside and so fare things have been going as plained but not being able to drive it has been killing me. Heck I don't even have the gas tank in it right now so I can't fire it up to hear that sweet engine of bless. It's been like that for a while and boy it's tough. Also been reworking the front floor pans and thats always hell if you know what I mean. But hopfully things will be looking up with the interior and when its all done and looking like gold (I'm hoping). I'll be more then happy to show some pictures to you guys!
If you have done some nice things with your interior that would be cool to see, always like new ideas!

well anything you would like to talk about feel free to, I am a sholder to cry on[][].
Old 10-31-2004, 02:58 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Lets have some sholders to cry on...

ok heres how it goes. I have a 67 coupe that is just a piece of chit right now. Its was all nice until I decided to redo my vynil top. (my dad does upholstery) so I riped it off and now it looks like someone took a big rusty dump on my car[&o]. but I need something to drive to work and school so i cant just leave it in my auto shop at school. Then my heater core broke and a niagra fall of antifreeze poured on my brand new carpet.Its freaking freezing outside and I have no heater or defroster at night.[sm=smiley19.gif]. (it gets worse) so in order to completely take off the vinyl top you have to take out the back seats and some the headliner. Then 2 days ago it snowed and in the morning I got in my car with no heater and scraped off all the ice to find a big lake where my back seats used to be (since there is three small holes exposed when I took off the piece of crome that seals the vinyl.
I figured out that I cant keep ruining my car like this it needs to stay in a dry warm clean shop that it can be continuously worked on without any inturuptions. So my auto's teacher found this this 1986 HONDA accord for 350 bucks that im going to drive while my mustang is going through a semi restoration i cant wait until its fixed and done. also when im done with the honda were gonna build a ramp and drive it off it and stuff ill post a vid so you all can see! So thats my sobbing sad story.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:00 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

by the way you 67 is seeeeeexy!
Old 10-31-2004, 10:56 AM
Frank_Bullitt
1st Gear Member

Man that was a sad story. I mean finding rust is one of the worst things a mustang lover must go through. One thing I would do is get a rust stoper paint right away when you see those spots and areas and get some on. works wonders and really helps stop anymore heart brakes. Also if you have to do any new parts or such look through Mustangunlimited.com, they have the best stuff and haven't seen anyone beat there prices.

So fare I haven't had to drive my stang in the snow, but I can amagin what you must be going through. Keep your head up and never give up on a classic. You will love the day when you can take your girlfriend(s) for a ride in her. They always tend to melt in old mustangs for some resion. lol

Thanks for the kind complement, would love to see some pictures of yours if you have some.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:16 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Frank, I haven't had any disastrous events with my 65. I bought her in west Texas so she is rust free. I did, however do a total body restoration a few years ago. And, upgraded the wheels and tires. I also added the dual Rav mufflers with an X pipe. I replaced the rear leaf springs last summer, and got a big squeak from the passenger side, but realized later that I had the car up on jacks whenever I cinched down the bolts on the rear shackle. I jacked her back up, loosened the shackle bolts, then put her on the ground......then tightened the shackle bolts. That solved the problem. I have also replaced the old two-row radiator with a four row, and added a 6 blade fan as well as a shroud. Other than that, I have replaced the fuel pump and of course changed out the spark plugs, wires and distributor and new points and condensor. Other than that, Old Yeller is all original.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:49 PM
Frank_Bullitt
1st Gear Member

Well sounds like you did some real nice upgrades to make it my enjoyable to drive! Car looks great by the way! Hard work really pays off and your car is sure proof!
Hopfully your sholder is one we can count to cry on. [][&o]
Old 10-31-2004, 09:28 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

when im done with it ill post some pics up
Old 11-01-2004, 08:46 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah Frank, as we all know, we are never done with it. This summer, I plan to upgrade
the front drum brake system to disks. And of course, a dual master cylinder. After that
I'll prolly start on the engine. Pertronix and flame thrower, JBL shorty headers, aluminum
intake, 4v carb, etc.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:39 AM
Frank_Bullitt
1st Gear Member

Yes, we are never done with our "Old Yellers" are we? But I feel with every part that gets fix, with ever new item that gets replaced, it bings all the closer to our motor friends.

Lets keep this post going so all us old classics can get to know everyone and there rides much better!

P.S. Soaring, Sounds like your on the right track to make yourself a sweetheart with dash of divel on the hood if you know what I mean.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:04 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Nah, I'm not completely into the resto mod scene. The body will stay just like it is. I just want to make it safer to drive, and add a few more horses to keep me out of trouble when entering the freeway. I really like my 03 Mach and the power sensation I get with it, but have no hopes of getting that from "Old Yeller."