Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

water issue wet floor

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 03:03 PM
gumballer

Default water issue wet floor

hi lads. i have a 1966 coupe and my problem is,

I have noticed that there has been alot of water leakin into the cabin ofthe car and it is soakin the carpet on both passenger and driver sides floors. i have figured out that the problem is the run off water from my windshield is not been drained away properly inthe vents in the bonnet infront of the window. what is happenin is the water is makin its way into the vent but it is not draining out from there, it sits in it and eventualy drains into the cabin causing the wet floor. there are 2 pipes on either side of the vent leading under the bonnet which look to be used to drain the water but they are useless because there a good 2 inches fromthe bottom of the vent, Also it seems a tricky task to take off the panel which incorporates the vent as the windshield is sealed around it and there is no visable nuts or screws to remove it so i cant have a good look whats goin on with the vent.

What do u think lads. whats the easiest way to fix the problem, i am not great with cars i just love them and i want totry learn how to fix them myself rather than make my mechanic rich.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks eamon
Old 03-08-2007, 04:06 PM
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: water issue wet floor

Uh oh, not good. If you determined its not the windshield gasket but the cowl instead, then the easiest way to fix it is a cowl cover. Many of the vendors sell one. It's simply a rectangular piece of plexiglass or magnetic film to cover the cowl vents, ie, those slat openings right in front of the windshield. The hardest, but most permanent fix is to remove the cowl cover, which you noticed is not held down by anything obvious. It's held down by spot welds, about 130 of them. It requires removing the windshield, fenders, hood (bonnet) and removing the paint around the perimeter of the cowl to find the spot welds, then, using a spot weld cutter, cut each one to free up the cowl to be able to lift it off. That's only half the job. Then, you need to fix the rusty areas in the lower cowl that is allowing the water in. Prime, paint and reassemble.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:12 PM
rmtaylor78
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gumballer

hi lads. i have a 1966 coupe and my problem is,

I have noticed that there has been alot of water leakin into the cabin ofthe car and it is soakin the carpet on both passenger and driver sides floors. i have figured out that the problem is the run off water from my windshield is not been drained away properly inthe vents in the bonnet infront of the window. what is happenin is the water is makin its way into the vent but it is not draining out from there, it sits in it and eventualy drains into the cabin causing the wet floor. there are 2 pipes on either side of the vent leading under the bonnet which look to be used to drain the water but they are useless because there a good 2 inches fromthe bottom of the vent, Also it seems a tricky task to take off the panel which incorporates the vent as the windshield is sealed around it and there is no visable nuts or screws to remove it so i cant have a good look whats goin on with the vent.

What do u think lads. whats the easiest way to fix the problem, i am not great with cars i just love them and i want totry learn how to fix them myself rather than make my mechanic rich.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks eamon
get that fixed ASAP!
no kidding, my wife's VW had a problem with the sunroof...there are drains that run from the roof to both front doors and pours out like halfway up the doors. the very bottom of the drain got clogged and every time it rained, the carpets got soaked. we had a huge problem with this horrible mildew smell. it took a huge argument with the dealer but the eventually pulled out and replaced all the carpet and fixed the drains. we won the argument because nowhere does it say that you need to do maintenence on those drains. that mold will spread quick if it's not taken care of.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:53 PM
dnswwood
2nd Gear Member

From what i understand this is the #1 reason for the floorpans rotting out in the mustangs it is definatley a must fix .If you cant afford to go with the cowl replacement at this time at least put a cowl cover on it like gjc is talking about, but it sounds like some of the damage may already be done if itsleaking into the cab. remember if the cowl has already rusted up insidethen it will do nothing but get worse even if you put a cowl cover on it.Be sure to check your floorboards for rust and get rid of it ASAP too
jeff
Old 03-08-2007, 05:01 PM
boeing747arowair
3rd Gear Member

do some research on here there are tons of threads and information about your cowl. like every other car, they are shot. from factory they were never protected so they rust out. leaves and other debris also is a cause of this. yes it is not an easy job. and if ur gonna pay it, i think u should jus get a saw and chop of ur arm and give it to them since it is soo expensive. i redid mine myself but it was defintely alot of work, stress, and sweat + money. i guess u have it a bit easier now since both the upper and lower cowl pieces are available. but get ready to take 100+ spot welds to separate the 2. if u have any questions or concerns let me know
Old 03-08-2007, 05:08 PM
gumballer

good new is ita a new floor in it soit wont rust i gonna try get one of those covers thanks lads and place online i could get they covers ye know of
Old 03-08-2007, 05:15 PM
boeing747arowair
3rd Gear Member

ebay, National Parts Depot, cjpony . good luck sir
Old 03-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

Any place that supplies parts for classic mustangs will have them as rusted out cowls are probably the number one problem with 60's Mustangs, and a lot of people buy the cowl covers to keep water from entering the cowl. As far as the floor pan, was it well protected from rust on the inside? If it wasn't coated I would be worried about rust from the wet floor carpeting and mat. Also as a previous poster pointed out, wet floors will lead to mold, which is no fun. So, in addition to a cowl cover try to get those floors good and dry.

Good luck.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Unfortunately, it rains a lot in Dublin, Ireland. So telling you to not drive your mustang in the rain is not doable. If you take the cheap way out and just cover the cowl, then you won't have any air for the heater or for the fresh air vent. Open your heater vent on the passenger side of the car and look up in there to get a view of the "hat" of the cowl. If it is only the hats that are rusted out, you can get plastic hats to replace them. If it is also the cowl that is rusted through, then it will be a very costly job to repair. Sorry bud.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:07 PM
UBY289
2nd Gear Member

I agree with Soaring he is right on.

Quick Reply: water issue wet floor