Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

289 cid 1966 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 07:13 PM
arthur
1st Gear Member

Default 289 cid 1966 upgrade

i have a C - 289 ci 2V V-8 engine in my fastback 66 and trying to find out what would be usefull upgades and would make not much difference in performance but only cost$$$
the car is for street use.. i don't care much increasing max speed but i like the idea of having better acceleration.

i have alot of "what if" questions :
first of all.. i want headers... still no idea which but that is for later worry

i am thinking about edelbrock performer intake dualplane ... from what i read everywhere i best also get a 4v carb (holley) and for that i should be aware to get the right intake that fits with a 4v carb.

BUT what if i wanna upgrade my carb in a later stage... will the old 2v carb still fit on the new (ready for the 4v carb) intake ?

f
or a new carb i was thinking about 600-650 Cfm holley although somewhere i did read as long as i don't put in a new high performance cam a 500cfm would give the same result????

will add above setup already give a noticable increase in power for the money put in it..or should my first attention be on new cam ? ( i am thinking about the edelbrock performer cam (i think even in edelbrock performer cams there is already different choices to make?))

will all above need additional cooling power for engine? ( i have a new 3 row heavyduty replacement radiator from cal-mustang)
would give a high volume waterpump extra cooling with incombi with my radiator ? ( i did read here somewhere i must not forget to add a high volume thermostat?)

all in all.. would give the performer intake , 4barrel carb and performer cam much extra fuel consumption... or is it more effective fuel use in comparisson with my old 2v carb setup/??

ofcourse i will put in a new oilpump... first idea was a high volume.. but i did read that can have some risks too????

thank you
arthur

Old 03-21-2007, 07:23 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 289 cid 1966 upgrade

Arthur, check the FAQ for carb calculator 650 cfm i think might be a little high if memory serves me correctly. I would go to an autolite 4100 carb myself or a demon but I am sure loads of people will tell me I am wrong!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

No Paddy, you are right. The 4100 has 480 CFM and with just an intake and carb change, it should be just right. To answer the question about the 4V intake fitting a 2V carb.....no it won't. Your biggest gain in street performance after gettin that 4V carb on there will be to add gears out back. Most likelyyou have 280's and an upgrade to 355's will make a lot of difference in launch power.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:46 PM
arthur
1st Gear Member

hmm..autolite 4100 carb .... i was soo focussed on a holley.. .. now i have to reconsider it all again heheheehhehehee

but reading above replies... means no new performer cam suggested? wowww finally i can save some $$$$ hehehehehe

arthur

Old 03-21-2007, 08:07 PM
mikethebike
3rd Gear Member

Ok..here goes....I promise you this combo WORKS on 87 octane, goes very well from idle to 6000 and gets pretty good mpg:

1. flat-top pistons
2. Crane Fireball-1 hydraulic cam/lifters
3. Erson roller rockers (fit under stock vavle-covers)
4. Tri-Y headers
5. Either a Cobra or Elelbrock F4B manifold with ploenum devider cut down 3/4 in with a 1in spacer
6. Regardless of what you hear elswhere...650 double-pumper Holley with a large enough electric pump at the tank with a filter before the pump and one AT the carb with a fuel regulator (Summit has a dual fuel line with regulator/and guage for a very good price).
7.Mallory or Accell electronic distributor with fully adjustable vacum AND mechanical advance.

With a 3.25 gear and 215/60-15 Comp-T/A's I could get mine to 60 in about 5.8.The mpg was around 15/21. Throttle responce was go-to-hell good. When my best friend in Charleston, SC drove the car he coulcn't believe a 289 could go THAT quick. (He drove a 1973 Z/28 with a 427 oval portBUILT motor with 3.90 gears!!)

Rule of thumb for carbs....double the cid and add 50 to get cfm for your carb. Noticehow engine builders rcommend 750 cfm double pumpers for 350 cid Chevy's? And the 850 double pumper was the direct replcement carb for the 396/375 and 427 Chevy motors.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:50 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Barry Grant Road Demon, 625cfm, Vac Secondaries, Electric Choke, Ford A/T Kickdown...... Like a Holley, only better....

Vac. Secondaries will be alot better for streetability, sticking with a stock cam and such a 650 double pumper is just too much.

Personally for an intake I would use a Edelbrock Performer RPM Airgap or just the regular Performer RPM if hood clearance is an issue for the airgap, someone here probably knows that answer. Alot of people say the Wieand Stealth intakes are best for what your looking at achieving, I can definately say don't waste your money on a Edelbrock Performer (they are only slightly better than a stock ford 4bbl intake)

No personal experience on Tri-Y headers but I hear alot of good things about them, so I would have to say Tri-Y's or at least some kind of long tube headers, along with an H or X pipe and some high flow mufflers. most quality mufflers will yield similar performance gains, the main difference between company A and company B is their sound.

I would think your 3 core radiator is plenty, a good investment would be a quality electric fan. This will free up some extra HP and provide better cooling at low speeds.

High Volume oil pumps put too much oil in the top of our motors without oil galley modifications, I suggest a High Pressure pump instead.

A new cam will give you a substantial boost in HP, but bigger is not always better. i suggest one of these two bump sticks....

Replica of the ford 289 (271HP) Hi-Po cam
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Very similar grind, but is more than 40.00 cheaper AND comes with lifters. I have used this cam in a mild 302 and it had VERY good low end power and took off like a bat outta hell.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
Old 03-21-2007, 11:25 PM
mikethebike
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

Barry Grant Road Demon, 625cfm, Vac Secondaries, Electric Choke, Ford A/T Kickdown...... Like a Holley, only better....

Vac. Secondaries will be alot better for streetability, sticking with a stock cam and such a 650 double pumper is just too much.

Personally for an intake I would use a Edelbrock Performer RPM Airgap or just the regular Performer RPM if hood clearance is an issue for the airgap, someone here probably knows that answer. Alot of people say the Wieand Stealth intakes are best for what your looking at achieving, I can definately say don't waste your money on a Edelbrock Performer (they are only slightly better than a stock ford 4bbl intake)

No personal experience on Tri-Y headers but I hear alot of good things about them, so I would have to say Tri-Y's or at least some kind of long tube headers, along with an H or X pipe and some high flow mufflers. most quality mufflers will yield similar performance gains, the main difference between company A and company B is their sound.

I would think your 3 core radiator is plenty, a good investment would be a quality electric fan. This will free up some extra HP and provide better cooling at low speeds.

High Volume oil pumps put too much oil in the top of our motors without oil galley modifications, I suggest a High Pressure pump instead.

A new cam will give you a substantial boost in HP, but bigger is not always better. i suggest one of these two bump sticks....

Replica of the ford 289 (271HP) Hi-Po cam
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...4&autoview=sku

Very similar grind, but is more than 40.00 cheaper AND comes with lifters. I have used this cam in a mild 302 and it had VERY good low end power and took off like a bat outta hell.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...1&autoview=sku
Well...my suggestion was for the entire package..not just the carb. The air-gap is worthless for a daily driver in that it has no provision for heating the fuel charge with a cross-over port from the exhaust. This leads to liquification of the fuel charge and than a lean condition at low-mid rpm which most people 'correct' for by using larger main jets. The fireball-1 is a hi-po 289 'cheater' cam...same specs-different profile. According to Crane it the most cam stock 289 heads can flow...period...take the valves out and they won't flow more. With tri-y headers you don't need a cross-over pipe because the tri-y's are engineered to have even pulses on each side. That is why Shelby used them. Big boost in mid range.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:32 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

whats your budget like you could stroke it to a 302 or get a 351w for it
Old 03-22-2007, 07:17 AM
arthur
1st Gear Member

thanks for the input... you guys gave mesome more direction togoogle a bit around for some more research about these setups
i am not really on a budget but i would like to have a right balance price/quality, the effect of the seperate parts on total without going for an overkill for a streetcar orbuy useless/effectless (expensive ) parts

ohh.. might sound silly but i like to keepmy eye a bit on the mpg too

arthur
Old 03-22-2007, 11:05 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

if you care about mpg keep it mild and maybe think of efi

Quick Reply: 289 cid 1966 upgrade