Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Stupidest thing you have ever done with your Mustang....

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:18 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Default RE: Stupidest thing you have ever done with your Mustang....

ORIGINAL: solidGas

The stupidest thing I have done was put the baby seat in the back.
I'm with you on that front brother. My wife makes me keep a baby seat in the '02 Vert and the Fastback. Ehh, keeps me honest I suppose. That's OK, I'm jiggy with it.

It's the french fries tossed about, melted crayons and general sticky kid goop that bums me out.

How much trouble would I be in if I make the kids ride in the trunk until they are old enough not to make a mess inside the car?
Old 12-13-2007, 11:18 AM
JohnCalvin
1st Gear Member

Sophmore year of college, attempting to drift in unison with my buddy around a corner. I was on the outside he was on the inside, he started to lose it and slide towards my car, so i got out of the drift and out of his way, which put me into a spin which landed me over the curb and onto the college sports field. front rim totally bashed up and some suspenison messed up, but the rim had pinched the tire so it didn't go flat and i was able to drive away. Also, because of a different car related incident,my buddies and I are the reason there are now video cameras in the main parking lot ofthat college. I miss being young and dumb :-)
Old 12-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Fastbackin1970

1981 I was a junior in high school. My dad bought me a 1970 Mach 1. In six months I got 21 moving violations and almost thrown in jail. My dad sold the Mach and bought me a 1978 Dodge Magnum that was a complete peice of crap. Lesson learned!

In 1986 I bought a 1969 Mach 1 the car had been Sedona, Arizona it's entire life it looked like it had come off the show room floor. I moved from Kansas to Oregon and for a new job. Met my future ex-wife there. In 1991 she was pregnant with our first child and I decided to take here to Wal-Mart to do some shopping for baby stuff. We come out of Wal-Mart and there is a business card on my car with an attorney's name on it with a note on the back that said "Name your price" I put up with 5 months of her hounding me every day to call the guy. I finally called him and told him I really didn't want to sell the car but if he had $15,000.00 it was his.

He showed up in two hours with a cashiers check. I actually cried as the car drove away.

She blew the money on everything from maturnity cloths to jewerly.

To this day I still kick myself for selling the car. It didn't help it just sold on ebay for nearly $50,000.00

November 2007 sitting in my garage is a 1970 Fastback. I have already explained to the current wife that she goes before the car goes. Good thing she loves the car too.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:46 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

i have 4 point harnesses in my 65. i pulled into my6 garage after school one day opend the door, reached down to unlatch the simpson locking belt and...whats this? its STUCK! well...im 180lbs guy...i have these belts tightned to hold me in place, no one is home, my cell phone is out of battery, and my seats dont recline...i loosend the belts as much as a i could and still couldnt get out, luckily i had some tools in the back seat (just bought a new toolbox!) and i was able to unbolt the top shoulder harnesses that are mounted to my roll bar...what i learned from this? keep WD40 in the console...ive done some other REALLY dumb **** in my mustangs...i dunno if i should share...i might tell yall a few more
Old 12-13-2007, 05:36 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

... And Chicken is back with us!!!
Old 12-13-2007, 06:51 PM
mustang289
2nd Gear Member

Haha I just remembered one, my father and I bought a 74 Nova years ago with a nice little 350 in it...and it really didn't want to run that well, and it sounded like a cylinder was off, after messing with the HEI for about two weeks we decided to pull the intake and valve covers off only to realize there were two bent pushrods and another MIA, in addition to that i pulled the lifters for grins and they were domed like no other. So we pulled the cam out, threw new lifters, pushrods, the whole nine and dropped the tank to get the wandering pushrod, and we put the intake, and covers back on, we get it started for about 3 minutes, at this point we were only trying to get rid of the car, so the next day its raining and we get a knock on my door, theres a guy who wants to drive the car, so we let him drive it around the neighborhood and we get about halfway through it and the car just absolutly dies and it is the most god awful sound i have ever heard... couldn't get it started again and my dad trying to save the sale said "its the battery, it died" so we're halfway across the neighborhood in the rain pushing the car home, needless to say the guy didn't buy it, but we get it back home and that next weekend we decided just to rebuild it and call it a day, well we took the engine out, and the first head comes off with no problems, the second, we see a nut sitting on top of the #6 piston, cracked the block, had to have it sleeved, evidently either my dad or myself dropped a nut down the carb when we were putting the intake back on after the cam swap, god what a headache that was....
Old 12-14-2007, 11:36 AM
fantastic
1st Gear Member

Well I traded my '67 Cougar for a '70 Boss 302. I liked the Mustang better despite the fact that the Cougar was in much better condition.

The Mustang had terrible alignment problems and was tearing through a set of perrelli's on the front once a week. I had a heavy foot and was tearing through a set on the back once a week. But I worked at a shop that exchanged tires on warrenty when they had a slight blemish so I had lots of free tires.

I finally got together enough cash to buy some ball joints. Got em installed and took her out for a high speed test drive without so much as an alignment. 19 and stupid I'll tell ya.

I survived the high speed traffic weaving by some miracle and desided to go for coffee. The local coffee shop required patrons to make a tight U-turn to enter. I made the turn but hit the gas at the beginning, then realized I was not going to make it and hit the brake. The result was an awkward low speed skid that tapped the curb flat against the front passenger tire. The entire assembly buckled and the wheel folded in under the car.

Not happy with that bit, I got the car home and stripped it all apart to replace the broken pieces. I didn't have the money to fix it so it sat in disrepair for months. Then I got a call to go off to boot camp and had to dump the car, so I sold off my 1970 Mustang Boss 302 for a whopping $200 to a scrap dealer.

I'm hoping I've gotten smarter over the years, but my current '69 FB is making a lot of local people laugh at my foolishness.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:31 PM
19coupe65

I was rebuilding my carb in my garage, with the garage door open, and my 65 about half way in the garage. The garage door has these stupid sensors where if you interrupt the signal in the door opening the door wont close, so me not thinking that it was my car in the opening manually dropped the door...and it free fell on to my hood, taking a pretty large line of paint out and denting the hood and fenders...i nearly killed myself.

After that whole deal I was driving to get a new paint job and asI was getting on the freeway I laid into the throttle...and snapped the shaft for my oil pump and my motor seized I bought a 302 from my dad's friend and after putting it in i discovered a rod knock! now its been a year an im still working on putting in a 5.0 EFI...and still waiting for a paint job
Old 12-14-2007, 06:12 PM
jaw66
2nd Gear Member

Back in 95 I had a 65 coupe. I took a saturday and put a 4bbl carb and intake on, a set of headers and new exhaust, and a fresh c4 with a shift kit. I got everything up and running. She sounded good. I plled off my street and let it rip. Smoked up up good til I came to the 90 degree turn and the air cleaner held it WOT. Needless to say I had to be pulled out of a ditch. Blew the engine the next day flogging it.....
Old 12-15-2007, 07:40 PM
d_ford
2nd Gear Member

Stupidest thing I've ever done with a mustang.....
I sold it. I had an original67 Shelby GT500 that I sold to settle a divorce...right before the prices went through the roof. If I'd had a crystal ball I could've bought her out of it for probably 15K and kept the car.
I sure miss it.