Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Stupidest thing you have ever done with your Mustang....

Old 03-22-2007, 10:57 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Default Stupidest thing you have ever done with your Mustang....

OK. This might be a tough post but I believe that we are all big enough to pass on our dumbest, most stupid, idiotic thing we have ever done with our Mustang or any other car that we may haveowned.

Mine, unfortunately can not be blamed on thestupidity of youth.

Recently.....
After 2 years offof being out of commision, due to an engine, transmission, front end, rack& pinion conversion I finally got myfastback back on the road and running GOOD!!! I drove it for less than2k miles when it happened.

When you are hanging with your boys and you go to leave and one of them says "Hey why dontcha'...." And you reply "K!", keepit below 7500 rpm and don't be doing a right hand turn while baking the crap out of your right rear tire. (9 inch trac-loc setup is on the bench awaiting a rebuild). Man it sounded good.

Then came the dreaded bottom end knock. Long story short, scorched piston, slightly goobed up cylinder wall, rod-bearings down to copper.

Anybody else have the stones to admit their dumb-*** moves?

It will be back on the road soon but man do I feel stupid.

(Thank you Lord for this lesson in humility. Amen)
Old 03-22-2007, 10:59 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Stupidest thing you have ever done with your Mustang....

i let my wife drive the mustang II to work once. *shudders just thinking about it*
Old 03-22-2007, 11:05 PM
ACADIST
2nd Gear Member

I sold it...to my little brother!
Old 03-22-2007, 11:08 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I think I might win this one. When I first got my mustang, I was inside of it looking around and the door shut on me. There were no interior door or window handles, so I was LOCKED INSIDE my car. I had to yell very loud till my step momfound me.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:08 PM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

I almost wrecked my 5.0 because I was trying to show off in front of my friend's hot *** girlfriend. Man did that one backfire...

The fastback has never ran since I've owned it so I guess the stupidest thing I've ever done with it is not working on it sooner.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:11 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Damn baddog...that's rich. Locking yourself inside your mustang is a good one.....

I blew Captain Morgan through my nose reading that.....
Old 03-22-2007, 11:27 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Yea, it was very embarassing but Im glad someone was home.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:11 AM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

I ca see this going to be a hilarious tread. The dumdest thing I can think of right now of the many is before I swoped to the V8 it was a I6 with a 3 speed trans. I was about 2 miles from home when I decided to see if the 6 could catch second gear when I slamed second the trany blew and I had to walk home after I pushed the car off the road andcall a friend to help me get it back home.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:49 AM
easttennmotors
2nd Gear Member

when i got my current 69 im now restoring, it was a 12 second drag car that i paid 7k cash for, well i figured i had a pretty strong motor and a roll cage, i took it to the local dirt track and ran it in the open super stock unlimited class 68-2000 american made cars, 2800 lbs, 360 ci limit, and no 4500 series carbs and no victor manifolds...well lets just say i have the car stripped to nothing and im still cleaning dirt from that night out and gravel from when i took it to the asphalt 3/8 oval the next few weeks, but hey i won all 3 timesexcept i dented a fender, got my taillight panel crunched and damaged a frame rail
Old 03-23-2007, 01:51 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

probably buying the car in the first place...it looked so good, I contacted the local mustang club about the car and the p/o. They said "for that money, if you dont buy it we will. He's a good operator and it has been well restored". I bought it after looking in the engine bay to see if in fact there was an engine. I didnt drive it. I didnt get someone with more knowledge (or brains) than me to look over it.

to cut it short, it boiled and wheezed and farted all the way home. I spent $3k just getting it drivable but it still needed a new engine, diff, gearbox. I took it to the club. Told them the story...embarrassed they said "oh, thats not the car. thats the parts car he bought for doing up the really good one that we thought you were buying for a steal.".

P/Ojust gunked this thing together and sprayed over it to make it look nice. Me, the sucker from hell, fell for it hook line and sinker.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stupidest thing you have ever done with your Mustang....