Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Having an oil filter problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 12:58 AM
SCRATCHY30
2nd Gear Member

Default Having an oil filter problem

Anyhow, everything is good except for my oil filter, it always want to come loose at random times. It actually happen yesterday and I ended up losing like half my oil. So I took it back to where I got my oil changed and they tightened it, and I asked what could cause it to do this and they said they have never seen it before. I have asked other people as well, and they don't know what is wrong. This is like the 3rd or 4th time it has happen, what could it be?

I know for sure it is the right size filter. the threads were the filter goes on aren't stripped, otherwise it wouldn't go on tight like it does.

I did notice though, that before when it was tight on there the logo on the oil filter was facing up, this time when it came lose and I tightened it the directions were facing up. So perhaps the threads are like worn out perhaps they are too deep, and this creates some unwanted spinning?

Well I am gonna take it to a shop on Monday and see if they can replace the little metal piece where the oil filter screws on.

I think it must be that, your guys thoughts? I have gone over everything else and it is all good, right filter, on tight, it has to be the threads were it screws on.

Some people said maybe it vibrates off, but I know people with cars that shake more than mine and they never even have to check their filters. So hopefully on Monday I can get this problem fixed, cuz it is bugging the crap outta me!
Old 11-14-2004, 01:53 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Having an oil filter problem

Did you wipe the contact surface clean and just barely smear some oil on the gasket before tightening? You should tighten it as much as possible by hand, worst case use a strap wrench or filter pliers to remove later.
Also, K and N filters come with a feature on top that allows you to use safety wire to keep it tight. They also filter better than most...
Old 11-14-2004, 04:28 PM
SCRATCHY30
2nd Gear Member

Yes, I did all that you said there.

K&N sounds like the real deal, I should get one of their filters, I'll do that for sure if I can't get this problem fixed on Monday.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:23 AM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

I think you may be on to something with the mounting threads. Check them closely as you should not have to uase a wrench to keep the filter tight. FWIW, I have used Motorcraft oil filters on all my Ford's for years.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:48 AM
SCRATCHY30
2nd Gear Member

I guess the problem was actually my oil pump and some kind of gasket, the oil pump isn't getting like congested and then it sorta all blows out at once making the filter come off and it damaging it.

So it is gonna be 450 to fix and I get it back in a few days , but owell atleast it will be perfect then.

lol, this is going to be like the 5th time my oil as been changed in the last few months, o well, atleast I know what it is now!
Old 11-16-2004, 11:03 AM
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

Never would of guessed that one
Old 11-17-2004, 11:00 AM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

That's a bit different than loostening up. Sounds like the oil pressure relief valve.