Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Hard Brake Decision

Old 04-23-2007, 05:44 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Default Hard Brake Decision

I recently got the enigne on my stang running so I am now looking into getting the front drums converted to disks. The two primary setups I've looked at so far are Dennis's www.diskbrakeswap.comsetup and the Master power setup with original style calipers. Here is the issue...

1. I contacted Dennis and it appears that my 14" are going to be too small for the swap. Therefore any savings from running the Granada swap would be countered by the requirement of purchasing new wheels.

2. I can get the MP setup for around $700, manual brakes with no master cylinder.

Do you guys think it would be a better idea (money wise and functionality) to go with the granada swap and larger wheels or stick with my 14" outlaws and the MP setup.

Thanks,

Parker
Old 04-23-2007, 05:53 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Hard Brake Decision

How in love are you with the Outlaws and how much tread is left on your tires? If it were me, I'd bag the 14" Outlaws and move up to some 15" wheels and tires and get the granada discs. That is easy for me to say because I'm not thrilled with the Outlaws and it is not my money.

So, if you want to keep the wheels, I think your choice on brakes will be made for you.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:03 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

i would say get bigger rims

on a side note, was it you or P zero that i gave those little rims too?
Old 04-23-2007, 06:12 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

You gave those rims to me. I'm really sad they won't work with the granada swap. I will however give them to another member on forum or return them if you like.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:20 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Just out of curiosity, what would your guess be on the price to rebuild the stock front drums?
Old 04-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

Depends, hwo much needs rebuilding? To replace the front wheel cylinders will cost $20 for the cylinders and $5 for brake fluid. Add in new hoses and you add about $25 more. That's all I've had to work on so far; so, I don't have an idea of prices for drums, etc. I'm assuming that you will supply the labor, since you were originally talking about installing disc brakes.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:51 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

I just ran some pricing and I can get all the drum brake stuff I need for around $100.

Are the drum brakes really that bad....
Old 04-23-2007, 07:12 PM
koesterca1
2nd Gear Member

When I first got my 67'it had 4 wheel drums. I rebuilt the front and the back and it stopped ok. At higher speeds if I had to slam on brakes it got alittle hairy. The drums stopped ok they just werent reliable. They were hard to keep balanced and to get the car to stop in a straight line everytime. I changed the fronts to disc and never looked back. Its a night and day difference and I like knowing how my brakes will function everytime I need to stop.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:12 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PReal
It depends on if you need to stop quickly in an emergency. Drive reasonably and they should be just fine. If you drive aggressively or spiritedthen discs are a good idea.I grew up hearing go fast cars need stop fast brakes. Now for the question, do you have a go fast car?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 68EFIvert

ORIGINAL: PReal
It depends on if you need to stop quickly in an emergency. Drive reasonably and they should be just fine. If you drive aggressively or spiritedthen discs are a good idea.I grew up hearing go fast cars need stop fast brakes. Now for the question, do you have a go fast car?
It really doesn't matter if he has a go fast car. I almost T-boned a lady a few months ago. I was traveling 60 MPH on an open road, and was coming around a curve when all of a sudden there she was in her SUV right in the middle of my lane making a turn., I slammed on the brakes and Ol' Yeller was squalling to beat the band. All for brakes locked, then the rear came around and I wound up in the ditch. Fortunately nobody got hurt.
The problem that most of our young Mustangers are facing is that they are not made of money, so buying a set of wheels for $1000, then another 5 or 6 hundred for tires, then another 6 hundred for a disk brake kit is out of reach money wise for a lot of them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard Brake Decision