Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Another Title question. VIN # on title missing last digit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 06:42 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Another Title question. VIN # on title missing last digit?

You're stewed? You have the title, correct? Is it signed, releasing ownership? If so, you should be golden (you would be in CA). The bill of sale is so that you can prove what you paid for the car so the state can get their sales tax out of you. []

Oops, I just looked up change of title in TX and it appears to be a whole different process than here in CA. Ours is handled entirely at the DMV whereas it looks like you have to go to the County Assessor's Office.

http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/title-transfers.php

Looking at their instructions, it looks like you can correct the title at the same time.

ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-...ms/130-uif.pdf

Wow, it is complicated there. Maybe you are stewed!

Old 10-14-2014, 11:01 AM
ness1up

Default same problem

My daughter just bought a 2002 altama.the vin on the title was missing last 2 numbers.the seller messed up title while signing it over so they had to get a new one.the new title also was missing the last 2 numbers on the vin.surprisingly she had no troubles getting it transfered into her name or getting tags.she's all legal.with a title missing last 2 vin numbers.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:08 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

So you came on a mustang board, with info about a Nissan and replied to a thread that was 7 years old??? How'd that come up on a search query?

Welcome to the group?
Old 10-14-2014, 08:49 PM
cashs mom
1st Gear Member

We're in Houston, too, so I asked my husband about this. He bought and sold a lot of cars and I thought he'd run into this problem before. He said that it's not a big deal to get a replacement title. As to whether you do it all at once or do one thing at a time, that's up to you but it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:29 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

In Ct. you need a Bill of Sale from the title holder. Only way the DMV knows it is not stolen. I had a Model A where the title holder was dead and had to have a notarized Bill from the estate.
In PA, you make a tracing of the actual number when you apply for a title. The tracing is kept on file. Also in PA the paper work is done by "Tag" vendors who handle this type of stuff for a fee, and have runners that take the applications overnight to the capital where the titles are generated. You get 24 hour service and don't actually go to a Motor Vehicle location. Only DMV locations are for new license and picture license.
Don't know about Texas, but you might have a long trail ahead of you if you can't get a Bill of Sale from the title holder.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:10 PM
72Chevy_Man

Default How did It turn out?

[QUOTE=65Raven65;3013417]Hello all. The VIN # on the inner fender of my '65 and the # on the title match exactly, until the last digit. It's missing on the title. The last group of numbers on the car is 6 digits, where on the title its only 5.

I have not transfered the title into my name yet.

Anybody else run across this?
Should this concern me?
How much of a paperwork nightmare will this be to fix?
Should I transfer it to my name first then try to get it corrected?

Thanks a million in advance.
[align=left] [/align][/QUOTE
Im in the same boat, how did it go for you?