Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New to forum, new to rebuilds

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 06:33 PM
1stTimeBuilder

Default New to forum, new to rebuilds

Hello folks. My name is Robert. I don't have a Mustang yet, but I am planning on building a '67 Fastback starting probably some time next year. I am getting an early start here because I want to learn from the experience of those of have been there and done that.
The plan as of now is an all black '67 Fastback. I like the Eleanor GT500E style kit and I plan on either building or purchasing a high output motor. Initially, I'm thinking 347, but I am open to suggestions.
I am posting here for discussion of my plans, and I would like to get input, especially links to great Mustang equipment sites (OEM and aftermarket). I especially like checking out the pictures of your cars, in progress and finished. When I finally get started and get a car, I will of course be posting pics of my progress here. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Robert
Clarksville, TN
Old 11-30-2004, 09:48 PM
fast83gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New to forum, new to rebuilds

Good luck finding a '67 Fastback. The fastbacks are often hard to find and expensive
Old 11-30-2004, 10:29 PM
Frank_Bullitt
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums Robert. 1967's are my favorite year and enjoy all classics aswell. I am working on a All Black 67 right now. (pictures in my sig if you haven't looked already) I am working on a rebuild as of right now and playing with what motor I like the best. As of right now she has a 429 and I like it alot. Only thing is as it makes the front a bit hevey so I am working on lighting it up.
Depending on what type of stang you want, such as Drag, Road corse or just a daily driver. I would look through a couple of sites and see what you like best.

TotalControlProdects.com
Mustangsunlimited.com
Mustangsplus.com
mustangdepot.com

are all good ones. I like mustangunlimited for cost, they have the best price and do the best stuff I think. I am working on a few things to get ready for track use at this time since she is going to be a road corse girl. But something I would do for sure would be a Fuel Cell and Fire wall divider for the back seat. To make it alot safer. Also Simson makes very good seat belts and other prodects. I am doing alot of the saftey upgrades to mine so if you have any other questions about some stuff I might be able to help out more. Well hope this helps some, take it easy!
Old 12-01-2004, 01:07 AM
1stTimeBuilder

Frank,
Your car looks great. I like some of the subtle things you've done. Thanks a lot for the links, I will check all of them out and add them to my favorites.
One question. Did your interior look that good when you got it? What kind of suggestions can you offer in that area? Interior is probably going to be the most "farmed out" part of my car, since I can't even begin to cover it. Thanks again.

Robert
Old 12-01-2004, 02:20 AM
Frank_Bullitt
1st Gear Member

Thank you for the complements on my car, very kind Robert.
That is a older picture of what my interior looked like. As of right now the hole thing is gutted out and is being coated with a rust stopper and repainted black. Also just getting done putting in new front floor pans cuz they were rusted out a little thin and I want a solded body I can work with. I have been taking pictures of what has been done to the inside so fair so if you like I can post some of those pictures up.
Not to sure on what you mean by Farmed out. Thinking you mean not sure what your going to do. Well for interior I would start with a couple simple questions you should ask. Do you want it to be a 2 seater or 4? Mine is going to be a 2 since I am going to have a roll bar and 6 point harness's on both seats. Also took out the old seats cuz they are not very safe with just the lap belt and not very good for turns. I did alot of looking around for seats and came up with some good buys and nice fits. I am also planing to build a new sound system in the car for daily drives and work on covering the inside with new car instillation. Whish will make the car sound alot better. Another good idea is look into new car AC, that can up the value of the car later on. I feel that the safer the car the better, no mater what your using it for, better seat belts, seats, gas tank, fire wall and any other add on's. My goal is to have a cruse car that can go to the track and hold it's own. Not sure what your plans might be. Also have alot more ideas for the interior that I am cooking up that will make it stand out and feel better. So still working on that part.
Hope that helps more, fellow 67 dreamer!

Old 12-01-2004, 02:21 AM
2001_SaleenS281_08
5th Gear Member

Old 12-01-2004, 11:18 AM
1stTimeBuilder

Thanks again for your reply Frank. My goal is to have a hot streetable car. On sunny days, it will serve as a family car for rides, but I will also want to see what kind of times I can pull down at the track once in a while.
You did answer my question about the interior. It sounds like there are decent deals to be had out there without going through the hassle of having someone else redo the upholstery. The only thing that might change that plan is the vision I have for Mustang logos in the seat. I am thinking of a two-tone theme for the entire car, with the engine compartment, interior, and trunk all colored the same. I envision a mostly black interior, with Mustang logos and a few pieces of trim in the other color.
Has anyone out there done something similar? And more importantly, do you have pics or links to pics of Mustangs done in this way? I like black and blue, the wife is thinking black and red, but we may compromise on black and yellow. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

Robert
Old 12-01-2004, 01:55 PM
Frank_Bullitt
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you have a good goal for yourself. I say go for it! The interior is something you can do all on your own, only thing is you might need to order out for a custom seat through a compony like you said. I am going to start out with some mustang plus racing seats that I got in a couple weeks ago.
I have seen tons of pictures of all sorts of things done to them but off the top of my head I would go to mustangplus.com look through there members cars, Total Control has there rides too. Also another good place just to look through and get idea's on looks is...http://www.carmemories.com/cgi-bin/t...m/Ford/Mustang they just got a bunch of color combo's on mustangs. Also if your thinking of a elenor they have alot of pictures of them through total control and mustangplus.

I like Black and red myself, but I am going to be doing a Black, silver and red combo with mine so when it's all done I will be happy to show it up here. (but thats probably next spring)
Old 12-01-2004, 08:38 PM
gtrplyr52786

frank that car is awesome, i have a 67 coupe myself that im redoing, but i love that hood scoop, and have been tryint to find sumthing like that without spending a fortune on a fiberglass elanor hood, could ya send the company name or website my way.

tom

ps thanks
Old 12-01-2004, 09:11 PM
Frank_Bullitt
1st Gear Member

Boy I'm getting lucky on the replys, every time I go to look you guys are online so you can see my reply to your questions fast!
The scoop on mine is from a 69-70 Mach 1 still (Or GT) you can get it at http://mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalo...ood_scoops.htm that link should take you right there.
Getting more 67's in here lately which is cool to see, always fun to talk about the same year car that I own. Feel like I can really help for once. lol

Thanks for the complements guys, she really likes them. Sometimes if she gets enough she will stop burning the tires and take the HP to the road! lol