Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Heidt's Superide II IFS

Old 05-24-2007, 03:06 PM
restomod67
1st Gear Member

Default Heidt's Superide II IFS

Anyone have any experience with the Superide II IFS vs the regular Mustang II IFS ? It's about $700 bucks more so I'm wanting to know if it's "worth" it.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:43 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Heidt's Superide II IFS

id ignore the weld in crossmember only types and go for something like this http://www.martzchassis.net/page3.htm
Old 06-01-2007, 05:01 PM
boss_dude_429
3rd Gear Member

hey manmy dadused the mustang II IFS (with some goodies like the drag front shocks ect...) onmy moms 66 coupe and she says that it's like driving a caddilac
Old 06-02-2007, 05:45 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

the problem with the weld in crossmember types is it puts the whole load on the frame rails not the firewall like ford designed it for basicly youll break the car in half over time and the mustang 2 kits handle like crap
Old 06-02-2007, 08:41 PM
boss_dude_429
3rd Gear Member

[:@]they do not handle like crap!!!!!
Old 06-03-2007, 12:59 AM
mikethebike
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: restomod67

Anyone have any experience with the Superide II IFS vs the regular Mustang II IFS ? It's about $700 bucks more so I'm wanting to know if it's "worth" it.
IMHO NONE of the II IFS's are worth squat. Nobody at Heidt's will talk to you about 'Ackerman'...you know, that unimportant little bit of geometry that allows your inside tire to turn on the proper radius? A front end designed for a 90" or so wheelbase will not work on a 108" wheelbase. Period. If they change the spindles to work they screw-up the bump-steer that they all brag about.
I called them a few years back to ask about that and they said 'Ackerman' was not important. They also called the relationship between the upper and lower control arm (as viewed from the front) as an 'unequal parallelogram' when in fact it is a trapezoid. By it's very NAME a parallelogram CANNOT be 'unequal'!
After that I didn't think I should be investing money in any IFS they built/designed.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:34 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

boss dude i race alot in scca auto cross the last solo 1 here a 67 coupe with a 4.6 ran 6 secs slower then my 68 with a small block and tcp coilovers. i even took it for a lap it bumped steer bad couldnt keep it on a straight line cornering. restomod67 why are you asking about them are you going to use a mod motor or trying to be different
Old 06-03-2007, 06:32 AM
supraman408
1st Gear Member

i was looking into the heidits mustang II IFS as well. i went to their web site and they had a kit fo $2,000 with everything you need to install. i figured this was a good deal because it would cost more if i was gonna replace my front susupension with a kit like grab a trek from mustangs plus and get a rack and pinion (im told a must have) which alone is #1,500+ for a 67 mustang.

would you guys recommend rebuilding the front suspension with a kit such as grab a trek and buy rack and pinion OR do the mustang II IFS from heidits?
Old 06-03-2007, 07:45 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

supraman read all the post in this one youll understand why you shouldnt use the mustang 2 kits
Old 06-03-2007, 02:56 PM
mikethebike
3rd Gear Member

If I spend a lot of money on a fancy front-end I'll either buy the new Global-West tubular system or have Chris Alston build one for me.
If you look at the G-W unit it installs an aluminum cone under the shock tower where the original spring seats. Their coil-over bolts to this and places the load on the factory point. Some others use a plate that bolts in through the top of the tower and uses the 3 little bolts that hold the shock bracket in place as the total load point for the front. They even went back and designed a brace to install under the tower because the bolts were pushing through the top of the tower. When I asked them about that they said the bolts were not loaded!!! This was Total-Control products. BTW
I bought a G-W modifications unit about 17 years ago that lowered the stock arm 1.75" and added a 15 degree wedge to the ball-joint to prevent binding and ALL the dreaded undeersteer went away! I run a 1 1/8 front bar and a 3/4 rear bar with Traction-Masters and a modified Granada v-8 front spring (I used that and cut-and-tested until I got the ride height where I wanted it). I have Koni's (set dead center), export brace and M-C bar and the car takes bumps and dips like my 123 chassis (240-d) Mercedes-Benz did. I really like the G-W design.
For all of you hard ride guys...BTDT....I now favor what I call the Earndhart Sr. set-up....moderate strength spring and shock settings and BIG bars....I would have used bigger but couldn't find them. Anyone know where I can find a 1.75" front and a 1.125" rear?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heidt's Superide II IFS