Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A Psychological Assessment of Classic Mustang Owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 10:46 PM
Timelockmind
3rd Gear Member

Default A Psychological Assessment of Classic Mustang Owners

I had a long talk with some people about the pyschological underpinnings of owning a 40 year old Mustang.

We all know we could have transporation that is cheaper and more reliable.Then why do we devote all this time, attention, and money to these machines?

One person suggested ownership was a way of overcompensating for a lack of self-worth

Another suggested that, for us middle aged guys,it signalsan identity crisis. They "joked" about many Mustang owners being close to twice the age of their cars

One of the wives thought owning an "aged" car meant I couldn't let go of the past and it was sad attempt to be "cool" like Steve McQueen!

I simply said it was great fun and a very special conncetion with the past. And I do feel "oh-so-cool" when driving it!

Am I the only one that is surrounded by idiots (who dive new BMW/Lexus/Mercedes) who don't get it!!!

Old 05-27-2007, 10:51 PM
supermanzx9r
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: A Psychological Assessment of Classic Mustang Owners

amen brother.......amen
Old 05-27-2007, 10:52 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

no, unfortunately youre not the only one. no other kids around here have old cars, they all have new BMWs, mercedez, lexus'..all that stuff, they dont get it. all they care about is a nice ACd ride with a huge *** sound system.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:54 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Mustangs just have history to them, you cant say the same about most other cars...
Old 05-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Celtic37
3rd Gear Member

My response to that question is simple:
Look at the Mustangs and all other classics from that time, now look at the cars nowadays. There is no way in hell that the cars from now are going to be classics in 40 years.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:58 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

We are indeed a rare breed. "THEY" only wish they could be as cool as us. But, since they don't have the wherewithall, they'll just have to stand in the shadows and envy the lucky ones, us. Yes, we are intellegent, savvy, and mechanically inclined. They are the dreamers and we are the do'ers.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 05-27-2007, 11:02 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

I own my 1970 Mach 1 because I fell in love with a brand new1969 Mach 1 that I would walk past on my way home from the 6th grade. My first vehicle was a 1973 F100 Ranger. When I was 18 I looked at multiple 1969 fastbacks but was always outbid. I only had about $1200 and most of the others had Mom or Dad as their bank roll. I finally found my 1970 Mach 1 and paid a whopping $600. I never even drove the car. I started it up, and told the owner I'd buy it. He wanted $900. I've had it ever since. I simply own the car because it looks beautiful. I sit in my garage sometimes and just admire the lines. If I really dig deep for some profound reason, I can say that it remains proof that I set a goal and I achieve that goal. The reason your friends don't "get it" is exactly why they "drive" the cars you mentioned. They never open a knuckle while wrenching on the car. They don't have floor jacks and jack stands and air compressors in their garages. I bet if you looked into it you'd find that people who own classic cars generally own the same home for a long time. In comparison, folks who own Beemers, and Lexus, Toy and Hon's move. They like there cars can't find their way because they have forgotten their past.

I still remember the smell of the air when we would leave my grandparents on a summer night and my Dad would turn on the headlights of the 1964 Galaxie 500 to see if any rabbits were under the apple trees. The glow of the dashboard was magical. The smell of the interior. Standing on the transmission hump while hanging on to the front seat. A time when we as a people and country were free. Something I'm sad to say we no longer are.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: supermanzx9r

amen brother.......amen
+1. That's all someone has to say to tag this.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:13 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Well put Puttyless! Love your car too...
Old 05-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Timelockmind
I had a long talk with some people about the pyschological underpinnings of owning a 40 year old Mustang.

We all know we could have transporation that is cheaper and more reliable.Then why do we devote all this time, attention, and money to these machines?

One person suggested ownership was a way of overcompensating for a lack of self-worth

Another suggested that, for us middle aged guys,it signalsan identity crisis. They "joked" about many Mustang owners being close to twice the age of their cars

One of the wives thought owning an "aged" car meant I couldn't let go of the past and it was sad attempt to be "cool" like Steve McQueen!

I simply said it was great fun and a very special conncetion with the past. And I do feel "oh-so-cool" when driving it!

Am I the only one that is surrounded by idiots (who dive new BMW/Lexus/Mercedes) who don't get it!!!
Yeh, and apparently the red ones compensate for small ***** size

I like the stang because I cant get past the sound of a V8 and the car has to be driven.

The modern cars do most of the driving for you. This is not a bad thing especially considering that 50% of the population is below average intelligence and 50% below average coordination. The subset of the 2 are the kind of drivers who got their licence from inside a box of Weeties.

Quick Reply: A Psychological Assessment of Classic Mustang Owners