Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Problem starting car, please advise*

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 01:55 PM
restomod87
2nd Gear Member

Default Problem starting car, please advise*

Hey guys, Over the past week my car has been running great, and i just got it last weekend. However last night i drove out to my girlfriends house to go to a wedding, and after dropping her off at her car and heading back home i couldn't get my car to start :-(...I had noticed it was a little slow to hit and needed some gas while turning the key in order to get it to catch and start up since i got it, but last night for some reason it wouldn't hit at all. It was dark and i had no flashlight or anything to take a look inside other than hooking up some jumper cables and making sure it wasn't a bad connection to the battery. What should i check? As far as I know if a car runs great but is having trouble cranking it is usually the cause of only 2 things, the battery or the starter ( or a bad connection between the 2). I ended up leaving the mustang in her garage and i'm headed back out there tonight to hopefully pick it up and get it running ...Could i please get some advise on to what to check for, maybe a guide of some kind. I know this is normal with getting a 40 year old car to have little problems, but it sucked having it happen after 1 week...thanks

~Patrick
Old 06-02-2007, 02:00 PM
73 Sportroof
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Problem starting car, please advise*

Could be the solenoid? Does it try to start or just click.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:31 PM
restomod87
2nd Gear Member

No it doesn't just click, you actually hear the starter, but the engine never hits and gets started...idea?
Old 06-02-2007, 02:38 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Does the engine turn over well? (does the starter turn the engine at normal speed, or close to normal speed?

If so, the start circuit is probably ok. If this is the case, my first inclination is to look at your ignition system for an issue.

Does your car still use a points distributor, or has it been converted to electronic ignition?
Old 06-02-2007, 02:51 PM
restomod87
2nd Gear Member

The starter seems to sound normal, but no it has never turned over well. I always have to prime the carb but pressing the gas to the floor 1-2 before cranking ( which is normal i hear) but i also have to give it gas as i'm turning the key in order to get it to turn over... I don't believe the ignition system has been converted to electric, and its the points distributer. I've seen a few problems involving a neutral switch, but i don't even know where that's located... Please any help would be great, i need to get this baby home.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:21 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

By what you have said here it sound like the starting system is ok, and if the neutral safety switch were the issue, the starter should not even turn the engine over.

I would say that you have either a fuel or ignition issue, I would start by checking to see if you have a good spark. Pull a plug wire from a plug, stick a phillips screwdriver into the socket, hold the metal shaft of the screwdriver about 3/16 of an inch from somthing metal on the car, and have someone turn the engine over, you should see a reasonably strong spark. Don't touch the metal shaft of the screwdiver while doing this or your test will be a little more direct than you would like.

If your car had electronic ignition and it failed to produce a good spark, my first recomendation would be to switch the coil, but if your car has points, I recomend that the points be adjusted first.

If the spark is good, then your issue is probably a fueling situation, either too much fuel, (flooding) or too little fuel. If you have a flooding issue it probably would have been showing symptoms prior to the "no start", such as black smoke, stalling out a stops, etc.

A simple method of checking for lack of fuel, is to get a can of starting fluid and spraying a small amount onto the surface of your air filter media, and trying to start the car. If the car starts and then dies with no recovery you might have a carb, fuel filter, or fuel pump issue.

Be very carefull with the starting fluid, a little goes a long way, if you use too much it is possible to damage your engine.

you should also pull a couple of sparkplugs and check for oil or other fouling on the plug tips.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:40 PM
JamesW

Could be weak battery
Could be ignition
Could be fuel system (carb, filter, pump)
Could be timing

Welcome to the world of driving a 40 year old car every day....Thefirst thing you need to do when you get it home is go through and give it a good inspection and tune up.

Replace Plugs
Cap & Rotor
Pertronics Ignition
Possibly new plug wires
Check timing
Go over every nut/bolt under the engine bay with a light twist of a socket to make sure nothing is loose
Clean battery terminal and cable end
Inspect positive and negative cables for conditions; replace if necessary
Clean & retighten motor ground points
Have battery/charging system checked (Autozone) to verify it is working properly
Visually inspect all underhood wiring harnesses/wires for frayed, cracked, or discolored wiring. Look for indications of chafing or overheat (burning/melting)
Ensure all wiring is secured - cannot rub against hard structure
Inspect coolant; replace if old/discolored
Inspect upper/lower radiator hoses; replace if brittle/cracking
Inspect heater hoses; replace if worn/brittle/cracking
Inspect passenger floorboard area for signs of leaking heater core (damp, rusty color, dripping water from under dash)
Flush coolant system if discolored/rusty
If changing coolant, change thermostat
Tighten starter bolts
Clean and retighten starter cable to starter connection
Check brake fluid level, refill as required
Inspect brake drums or calipers for leaks/seeps
Pull wheels, brake drums and inspect brake shoes for condition. Replace if worn
Check oil; change if discolored/dirty
Look for water or other discolorations
Change PCV valve in valve cover
Inspect all vacuum lines for cracks/leaks
Inspect carb for leaks/seeps; tighen
Inspect throttle linkage (need double spring)
Reset Timing to factory specifications
Check/reset Idle speed
Change air filter if dirty
Check transmission fluid (if auto) for proper level
Inspect transmission for leaks
Inspect exhaust system for leaks, rattles rubs. Ensure that the exhaust pipes are not rubbing on any fuel or brake lines under the rear of the car.
Inspect brake and fuel lines under car to ensure they are secure and are not rubbing against any metal
Check differential for fluid level

These are the things that cause you to usually end up on the side of the road. Be proactive and make sure your car is in good operating condition.... unless you like surprises like last night...
Old 06-02-2007, 05:02 PM
JBradley500
3rd Gear Member

the first thing i would do is go clean your battery terminals and tighten them down pretty tight....it may sound kinda stupid but it cant hurt.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:15 PM
JJ68Mustang
1st Gear Member

Could be the points in the distributor. Those things always have problems.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:31 AM
73 Sportroof
2nd Gear Member

Points can play hell with you. My 69 never had a problem with them, but my 73 always had problems.

Try a new set of points and if that gets you going I would definately look into the Petronics Ignitor.