Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How rare is a "California Special"

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 01:48 AM
67fastback

Default How rare is a "California Special"

I noticed this old car sitting in front of this guys house a couple miles from my house and I finally had a chance to take a good look at it the other day. Ive always loved the old fastbacks, and mach 1's and when I seen this car I was in love. It looks like a mix of a gt-500 and a mach 1. My dad says that its a torino not a mustang, but ive never seena torino that looks like that. I was suprised when I looked at the car and on the back it said "California Special", it also says "Cobra428" on the hood scoop. I became really interested after that and I took some pictures and did a little research on it. From what I could find on the internet it seems that the California Specials are very rare, I couldn't even find any info about the fastback version.

Im going to go talk to the owner soon and see if he'll sell the car. Im wondering though if its really a "california special", if its a mustang or a torino and also are they as rare as they seem to be. "ANY INFO" about the California Special's that you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Adam

Here's a link to my pictures

California Special
Old 12-31-2004, 02:38 PM
tornado
1st Gear Member

Default RE: How rare is a "California Special"

that looks exactly like my 1968 fairlane, i just got it and dont know much about the history so i dont really know anything about it other then thy look nice, ido know that in 1969 they made a cobra 428 fairlane thats probaly what that is, but i might be wrong.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:43 PM
fast83gt
3rd Gear Member

They did make a california special Mustang, but that's not it. That looks like a Torino to me. (a torino and fairlane eventually were the same car) Maybe they made a CA Sopecial torino also
Old 12-31-2004, 02:45 PM
fast83gt
3rd Gear Member

CA Special stang:

http://www.mustangdreams.com/california%20special.htm
Old 12-31-2004, 04:20 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I may be wacky here, but besides some dress-up items on the body, didn't the CS also have some early polution controls on the engine, that only the San Jose plant could put on?
Old 01-01-2005, 02:07 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

The California were only sold by dealers in California so they probably have all the California equipment as it was back then. Rare, Don't really think so as thousands were built. I think they were all built in San Jose.......
Old 01-01-2005, 02:11 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

BTW, I've been told that those cars could have had ANY engine/drivetrain. There could be 390/428 cars in the world but I've never seen one...........
Old 01-01-2005, 05:22 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

one of my friends that lives a couple miles from me thats got 2 of them!!! he's also got a 66 shelby and lots of other stangs. btw his shelby is in this months issue of mustangs and fords and one of his cs is in lasts months issue.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Logan175

U should pop the top. See wat engine is inside (if one) those where old staock car racers. it might have got dumped. it unlikely but anyway it'd be sweet it it had the 429.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:22 PM
Trannyman
1st Gear Member

I have one (GT/CS) check my sig. They only built 4000 of them. There is also the High Country Special, sold in Colorado. Sales of Mustangs were lagging in southern Cal, so some Mustangs were sent to be gussied up. They were built and sold in sothern Cal. They are also known as the "Poor mans Shelby" as it has the Shelby tail lights/Fog lamps/brake scoops and the GT-350/500 convertable rear deck, and the horse/corral were deleted. Mine has the 289 and a very rare few had the 428 CJ. They came out Mid production in 1968 thus it is a 1968 1/2.

As far as early pollution control, I have no clue as mine doesn't have all that gear on it. (probably stripped off) It has been driven from west coast to east coast and when my father and family were sent to Germany to serve an overseas tour, it was shipped with us. It has been in the family since atleast 1970. My uncle owned it first and sold it to my dad. When I got to driving age, it was mine.

The first pics are a Torino. Fast83's link are pics of a GT/CS. *EDIT* Just notice that the one in that link is a clone, watch out for these. The 68 body has side marker lamps on the front fender.

Quick Reply: How rare is a "California Special"