Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Legalizing my mustang

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 03:16 PM
Joe5688

Default Legalizing my mustang

Well i just realized that the car i bought a few years back when i was dumb, doesn't have matching vins.

The vin on the dash is screwed in and is for a 68 coupe. I have a 67 coupe. The title i have is for a 68, but the vin on the door and on the fender are for the 67.

Anyone know how i can go about getting this fixed? I'm in Illinois and i dont really know how i could take care of something like this.

Any info is appreciated,

-Joe
Old 06-17-2007, 03:38 PM
royal68
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Legalizing my mustang

so the vin on the dash, and the vin on the title match - and they are for a 68

but the door and fender vin's match, and are for a 67

and you have a 67?

i think it'd be easier to get repro. vin plates for door/fenderthat match the vin on the title and dash.. but that doesnt help much if you have a 67 since the vin would indicate a 68

getting a new title based on a title w/ a different vin could be "interesting" - your states DMV would probably be the best bet to correctly answer this

maybe an anonymous call asking about the situation - or go in person and pose it as a hypothetical question regarding a car you don't own yet....
Old 06-17-2007, 04:12 PM
Joe5688

yeah, i'm just trying to see if anyone has had to go through this before.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:18 PM
five pt oh
2nd Gear Member

maybesomeone wrecked the drivers side of your 1968 car and found a new door and fender off of a 1967 to replace the busted up parts.

I assure you that it's easier to quit telling yourselfthat it's a1967 than it is to get your your state's DOT's to change their records.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:05 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

why is there a vin on the dash? i thought there were not any till 1969? the vin in the engine compartment is the only legal vin that can be used for registration purposes. honestly id have an officer run a check on that vin(just tell them you intrested in purchasing the car no need to take them the whole car) if its a clean 1967 vin then check into broadway title services to secure a title for that vin number
Old 06-17-2007, 05:16 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

When I was preparing to sell a '65, I noticed that there was an error on the title. I brought the car down to the DMV, had a visual inspection to verify the VIN, paid a small fee and filled out a form and a new title was mailed to me a few weeks later. You should be able to tell pretty easily whether you truly have a '67 or '68 no matter what the vin and/or title says.If you have indicator lights on the rear quarter panels = '68. If you have "simulated air intakes" behind the doors = '67. Figure out what you have and then contact your DMV so that you can fix it.

Good luck!
Old 06-17-2007, 05:50 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

You apparently have a chop job, a little of 67 and a little of 68. There should be two more VIN numbers that you should check before getting the DMV involved. Both of these are under the front fenders hidden by the edge of the fender that is coveredby the hood. They are near the the hinges. You must remove the fenders to see these but in your case, it's in your best interest. My 66 hardtop had the left front fendor apron replaced, the section with the VIN number on it, and I pulled both fenders to verify the hidden numbers to the registration. Mine all matched, including the door data plate, I was just missing the visible one.
Jim
Old 06-17-2007, 06:01 PM
Joe5688

yeah i'm going to have to take off my fender. I have a VIN imprinted in the metal but it is not actually on the fender. It's on the engine bay metal right where the fender bolts on.

The car is a '67 i know that for a fact.

Anyone else know for sure that they didn't have dash vins till '69 cause if so i'll just take it off lol.

Also, I brought my mustang to a mustang restore shop and everything about it is a '67. There is nothing '68 besides the vin on the dash.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:02 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ORIGINAL: Joe5688

yeah i'm going to have to take off my fender. I have a VIN imprinted in the metal but it is not actually on the fender. It's on the engine bay metal right where the fender bolts on.

The car is a '67 i know that for a fact.

Anyone else know for sure that they didn't have dash vins till '69 cause if so i'll just take it off lol.
yes that is the correct vin for the car unless the car was hit and the fender apron replaced
Old 06-17-2007, 06:04 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

And the 68 VIN was in the window on the right side.
Jim

Quick Reply: Legalizing my mustang