Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Cost estimate for rear frame rail replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Niteshade
1st Gear Member

Default Cost estimate for rear frame rail replacement

I am going to get both the rear frame rail sections replaced that support the trunk because they are rusted and won't pass inspection. I have purchased 2 new ones and I got the sections that are about 30 inches long which is more than long enough to replace the offending sections.

I went to a local shop that restores Mustangs to get a quote on the work. I advised them I already have the 2 frame rail sections and I want to get them both replaced. The quote they gave me was for 40 hours of labour (@$50 per = $2000). He mentioned that they would have to remove the rear end, and drop the drive shaft which seemed like overkill to me. He said the frame rail would have to be "sectioned" or else the first time I hit a bump with a tank of gas the rear of teh car would sag.

I have read the article in Mustangs Monthly about how to do this, but I don't weld. The job though didn't seem that involved in terms of tearing the car apart.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds reasonable?
Old 06-18-2007, 03:14 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cost estimate for rear frame rail replacement

Well....just out of curiosity how did you think they were going to replace rear frame rails with the rear in there?

They should also prob. drain the tank and remove.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Niteshade
1st Gear Member

Now I know where teh "Smartarse" tag comes from.

I know they will have to release the leaf springs from the rear portion of the frame rail to lower it, but not remove it entirely like I was told.

The gas tank has to come out. I know of this from even my limited welding experience.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:36 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Niteshade

I am going to get both the rear frame rail sections replaced that support the trunk because they are rusted and won't pass inspection. I have purchased 2 new ones and I got the sections that are about 30 inches long which is more than long enough to replace the offending sections.

I went to a local shop that restores Mustangs to get a quote on the work. I advised them I already have the 2 frame rail sections and I want to get them both replaced. The quote they gave me was for 40 hours of labour (@$50 per = $2000). He mentioned that they would have to remove the rear end, and drop the drive shaft which seemed like overkill to me. He said the frame rail would have to be "sectioned" or else the first time I hit a bump with a tank of gas the rear of teh car would sag.

I have read the article in Mustangs Monthly about how to do this, but I don't weld. The job though didn't seem that involved in terms of tearing the car apart.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds reasonable?
Actually it does seem reasonable for a quality job. It is not hard for me to imagine an averageprofessional welder spending an entireweek on this job, a welder experienced in this type of work could probably pull it off quicker, but this just goes to prove the point that experience pays!!

Frankly, IMO, the more stuff the welderremoves to do the work, the better the job will be. The "sectioning" the welder is talking about will allow them to spread the welds over a greater area, (laterally)which will make the repair much stronger, more percise,and more stable.

IMO the guy talks like he really knows what he is doing, if he produces a repair as good as he talks, you are getting a good deal, (once again, IMO).

Good Luck!!

<< + The "sectioning" of the repairmay allow the repair to be made without "fishplating", which will make for a cleaner looking repair. >>

<< On second edit,,,,, things always look easy in a magizine!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:18 PM
DanJ

The work involved with frame rail replacement can run into some big money. I did this same work about ten years ago and it is time consuming. With mine I also did the trunk drop offs, rear quaters and outer fender wellsso it can get really involved. At 50.00 an hour It seems realistic.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:02 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

2grand is kinda cheap its not easy to do right takes alot of bracing and messuring and welding
Old 06-19-2007, 12:29 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andrewmp6

2grand is kinda cheap its not easy to do right takes alot of bracing and messuring and welding
Yep, miss a 16th of an inch here, and it is off an inch there.....[:@]
Old 06-19-2007, 07:32 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

yulp had a friend do the same thing on a early camaro and messed it all up took me 3 days to get everything straight again
Old 06-19-2007, 09:21 AM
KTM
2nd Gear Member

If frame rails are rusted so badly what is codition of the trunk floor? When old frames are remowed is there really something where they can weld new frames?

Actually rear axle remowing is not so big thing and drive shaft removal is about 5 - 10 minutes job. When all that is away then body man can do very best job.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:04 AM
deebo68
1st Gear Member

Why not take the $2000 grand you were going to spend, buy a welder ($450), spend some time learning, then do it all yourself.

In the end, you learn to weld, you have a welder, you learn to install rear frame rails and you have the satisfaction of doing the job yourself.

Just find a knowledgeable friend that is willing to oversee and check the quality of your welds.

I think in the end you'll have more job satisfaction and you'll know that you and your welder can tackle any job and you'll save a ton of money.

Quick Reply: Cost estimate for rear frame rail replacement