Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fuelling up without spilling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Fuelling up without spilling?

ORIGINAL: royal68

ORIGINAL: solidGas

I just manually do it, I don't put on the clip for free flow. I also put my key to "GEN" or "ALT" which ever year you have and watch the fuel gauge through the back window. I also only put in about 12 gallons each time, and that gets me over the F line and no spills. I do get distracted though because there is always someone who wants to talk about my car, so mistakes happen from time to time.
bingo

plus if I spill any, I just pee on it to wash it off
You guys are very lucky to have a fuel gauge that actually gets to the F (full) line with the needle. When I am full, the needle point to about 3/4 full.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:42 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

We are so lucky here in on the 'Left Coast' aka California. We have 'Vapor Recovery System' gas nozzels. They fit over the gas filler pipe so no, I repeat, no gas fumes or gas vapors can escape into our precious atmosphere and kill bunny rabbits and stuff. As a result, no surge when you reach 'da full limit'. There are notices all over the place, 'Do Not Top Off' and 'Save the Whales' and 'Free Huey Newton' (you had to grow up in the 60's) so if you toe the line and don't eat French fries cooked in trans-fats - the world will be saved. I use the gas station paper towels too (which brings up another problem - don't cut down our precious trees). Bull Pucky - Col. Potter, MASH.
Jim
Old 06-20-2007, 10:17 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Last time I filled up I had it sideways, and it clicked at like friggin 5 gallons. and it was close to empty before. Then after about 10 clicks later (not exaggerating) I figured it should be full, because gas kept comming out. Turns out it was only 3/4 of the way full. Very annoying!

I'll figure it out one day....
Old 06-20-2007, 10:29 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 66GTKFB

We are so lucky here in on the 'Left Coast' aka California. We have 'Vapor Recovery System' gas nozzels. They fit over the gas filler pipe so no, I repeat, no gas fumes or gas vapors can escape into our precious atmosphere and kill bunny rabbits and stuff. As a result, no surge when you reach 'da full limit'. There are notices all over the place, 'Do Not Top Off' and 'Save the Whales' and 'Free Huey Newton' (you had to grow up in the 60's) so if you toe the line and don't eat French fries cooked in trans-fats - the world will be saved. I use the gas station paper towels too (which brings up another problem - don't cut down our precious trees). Bull Pucky - Col. Potter, MASH.
Jim
Sounds like you need to move to Texas Jim where folks are friendly, house prices are a fraction of what you are paying and gas prices are not ridiculous as far a national standard. I have a sister-in -law who lives near San Francisco and her meager 3 bedroom house is worth more than a million bux. BS.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:31 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 66GTKFB

Jim
Tree-huggers, pff.. I once dumped a gallon of old gasoline on the ground and it didnt even hurt the tree...
Old 06-21-2007, 12:38 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

soaring i keep a pack of shop rags in the truck if i have to use one i throw it away.yes the fill tube is short so its easy to over fill only way i know to fix that problem is to move the gas cap to the side of the car or fuel cell you fill in the top of it.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:43 AM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

I find it helps if you tilt your head just right...
Old 06-21-2007, 02:12 AM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Yo, Glen: House is paid for; humidity is low; I can travel about 120 miles to some very tall mountains for the snow; no hurricanes - and when there is one, the surf is up; there's this rather large pond (same one that has the hurricanes) - where, with some patients - you can land some good size king salmon; no tornados (well, maybe every ten years);the people in my neighborhood are friendly - even those that came here legally; I'm four miles from the old San Jose assembly plant; and I enjoy 'sticking' it to the Berkeley 'libs', especially with their own 'logic'.
Jim
Old 06-21-2007, 02:19 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ORIGINAL: Soaring

ORIGINAL: Mustangdemon67

u just keep a rag in my trunk so when i gas up i put it on my bumper and if any drips the rag absorbs it. but the thing is if i spill alot the rag smells so bad and i put it back in the trunk, the fumes get into the car and i get a headache [&o]
Bad idea. Can you spell KABOOM! Never ever have a gas soaked rag in your enclosed trunk. If you do happen to spill some gas on the bumper, use the windshield wiper water scraper to wash it down, then hit it with the paper towels that most stations furnish.

thats why i dont use those things at gas stations use one thats been in oil or gas and the windsheild will be frugged and buggs and streaks[:'(] no a good idea id say go for the disposable rags or just dont spill any
Old 06-21-2007, 03:33 AM
69coupe415ci
1st Gear Member

i dont have a problem with it spilling when full.. i have a problem just fulling it up.. kinda goes liek this... shhh CLICK... shhhhhh CLICK.. shhhh CLICK! DAMNIT!!! had my car for 5+ years now and i just found the right angle to put it in so it will fill up in one shot... upside down and toward the pump so like 2 oclick or 10 oclock depending on which side i parked..

JOSH

Quick Reply: Fuelling up without spilling?