Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fuelling up without spilling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 06:26 AM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Fuelling up without spilling?

I have the Mach 1 Gas cap, so i'm forced to fill sideways and i cant go full flow or it will spit back out at me any time. Both hands holding it in the right spot right angle right pressure bla bla work. It looks like i'm having **** sex with my car at gas stations...
Old 06-21-2007, 01:02 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 66GTKFB

We are so lucky here in on the 'Left Coast' aka California. We have 'Vapor Recovery System' gas nozzels. They fit over the gas filler pipe so no, I repeat, no gas fumes or gas vapors can escape into our precious atmosphere and kill bunny rabbits and stuff. As a result, no surge when you reach 'da full limit'. There are notices all over the place, 'Do Not Top Off' and 'Save the Whales' and 'Free Huey Newton' (you had to grow up in the 60's) so if you toe the line and don't eat French fries cooked in trans-fats - the world will be saved. I use the gas station paper towels too (which brings up another problem - don't cut down our precious trees). Bull Pucky - Col. Potter, MASH.
Jim
C'mon, don't you want to preserve the world for generations to come?We always have a bunch of tree huggers coming to Central Oregon and protesting.One of them actually told me and my brother that WE were responsible forglobal warming. Enviornmentalists are so funny!
Old 06-21-2007, 02:23 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

I love global warming. More people die as a result ofcold weather - as in winter, than from the heat (except in France). With an increase in the temperature, Canada will become the crop growing region of North America. Storms are a result of temperature differences, so with less cold in the far North, less storms in the US, hear that guys in the Gulf States. And the big secret is, the sun is causing it all. When confronted by a member of the 'Chicken Little Sky is Falling' crowd, ask them 'why are the polar ice caps melting - on Mars?'
Jim
Old 06-21-2007, 02:56 PM
67Stang68
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 69coupe415ci

i dont have a problem with it spilling when full.. i have a problem just fulling it up.. kinda goes liek this... shhh CLICK... shhhhhh CLICK.. shhhh CLICK! DAMNIT!!! had my car for 5+ years now and i just found the right angle to put it in so it will fill up in one shot... upside down and toward the pump so like 2 oclick or 10 oclock depending on which side i parked..

JOSH

+1 holding it sideways at 10 or 2 oclock position, And its a pain in the ***** inNJbecause your not allowed to self serve and the dumb attendantthinks he can do it and winds up wasting some on my bumper and making a mess. You usually have a 50/50 chance of him letting you pump it yourself.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:43 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

I wonder if you could vent the filler neck. Attach a piece of hose on the top of the tank and then put another fitting on the top of the filler tube. You would have to make the filler tube modular to get it to fit. I have been kicking this idea around for about a year but I have so many other projects going on I don't have the time to explore yet. Has anyone ever tried this type of thing?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 PM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

I think it was on this forum that someone was going to fabricate our old filler necks so they would vent like newer cars, preventing the overfilling problems. I sure wish someone would come up with something. I hate bending down and trying to listen for that sound of the gas getting ready to overflow.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Rorin67
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 68EFIvert

I wonder if you could vent the filler neck. Attach a piece of hose on the top of the tank and then put another fitting on the top of the filler tube. You would have to make the filler tube modular to get it to fit. I have been kicking this idea around for about a year but I have so many other projects going on I don't have the time to explore yet. Has anyone ever tried this type of thing?
Been curious about this as well. I've even considered going "slightly" Eleanor and moving the filler to the rear fastback pillar, with a Cobra gas cap, venting it like you say, and making it functional. This is waaaayyyyy loooowwww on the priority list though.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:55 AM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

I am waiting on the body man so this may give me a project I can work on. I was thinking of taking a 3/8 steel fuel line and bending it at a 90 then welding it to the filler neck by the rear panel. Then running the 3/8 fuel hose down to a nipple on the tank . Do you guys thing that I would have to put the nipple on the top of the tank next to the hose or do you think I could get away with it on the filler flange on the tank (where the hose is clamped to which would be easier)?
Old 06-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Rorin67
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 68EFIvert

...do you think I could get away with it on the filler flange on the tank (where the hose is clamped to which would be easier)?
This is exactly how the filler neck on many modern cars are designed. Actually - on many modern cars the vent tube starts at the bottom of the filler neck and ends at the top of the filler neck. I have no experience in this myself, but after perusing several used filler necks for my mod idea, I noticed this design for many modern vehicles.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:44 AM
snydes65coupe

i have yet to fill my car up with gas the car is still in the garage and will be for some time needs a lot of work.I was thinking that could it be that the size of the gas nozzel could be different size,because i was told that theleaded gas nozzel is bigger and unleaded is smaller, not by much though. just a thought because they went smaller so that you could not put leaded gas in a unleaded car.

Ken

Quick Reply: Fuelling up without spilling?