Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Carb Tuning/Hesitation problem, autolite 1100

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Pmac1234

Default Carb Tuning/Hesitation problem, autolite 1100

I have a 66 mustang coupe, 200 6 Cyl with what looks like an autolite 1100 carburetor from the pics I have seen. The car idles great in park and in gear, but when revving it up it wants to cut out completely. I have tried to adjust the carburetor but nothing seems to work. A couple weeks ago for a little while it was running beautifully. I just replaced the fuel filter and even tuned the carb again with a vacuum gauge. I have a peak solid steady 20 on the gauge, but still when you rev the engine there is a hesitation where it wants to die. I really don’t want to replace or rebuild the carb if I don’t have to. Anyone have any suggestions? Is this a carb issue, a fuel supply issue, maybe even a spark plug issue? Suggestions on tuning the carb if that is what the problem is. Thanks for the help
Old 06-25-2007, 05:19 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Carb Tuning/Hesitation problem, autolite 1100

How is the regular driving, say at 40 and 65?
Jim
Old 06-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Pmac1234

It's hard to tell, I can't really drive it the way it is. The hesitation I'm getting causes the car to jerk/cut out. The problem has been intermitent in the past, I thought I had the carb adjusted great and then all of a sudden it started to cut out again. Now it seems like I can't do anything to get it to go smoothly. When I do get brave enough to take it on the road, sometimes once I get past the cutting out part it seems to run ok at higher speeds most of the time right now it putts though. Getting it up to any speed is a problem, if you floor the gas it will die, if you go smoothly it will putt putt it's way up to speed. I've been trying to adjust the carb and then run it up and down the driveway to test it out, but I can't really open it up like this.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:41 PM
crunchyskippy
3rd Gear Member

Is your accelerator pump working (for instance, can you see it squirint in the venturi's when you push it by hand)? What about checking your float level (sounds like it could be REALLY low).

My last thought is this: Any chance your vacuum advance is out of whack and is advancing too far under acceleration? I suppose you could check this by unhooking the vacuum to the distributor and capping it off while you test for acceleration. (Don't expect it to run too smoothly like this, but it may indicate your problem.)

Can you get the engine to revup if you increase the speed slowly (as opposed to a quick acceleration)? I'm assuming all of this is occurs when the engine is warm.

Let us know.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Pmac1234

Thanks, I'm going to try all of this tonight. The one thing I don't knowis how to check the float level in the carb. Do you know where the float is on this carb? How would I go about checking it. I'm a rookie when it comes to working on the carb. Thanks for the help
Old 06-25-2007, 07:33 PM
restomod87
2nd Gear Member

What condition are your spark plugs and cables in? Problems like these, look at the basics...Air, fuel, and a spark...inspect those and let us know what you find...I had a similar problem and went ahead and replaced my carb with a holley 570 street avenger carb, and it screams good luck
Old 07-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Pmac1234

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to this. It looks like I have an issue with the accelerator pump. The diaphragm in there is pretty hard. I don't see any gas squirting in when I push it by hand. Anyone know where you can get a rebuild kit for this carb. I believe it's an autolite 1100, if it's not it's extremely similiar. Also, on the one suggestion about the holley 570. Is this an easy swap? Is the 570 a single barrel carb? I have a V6 200 engine with a autolite 1100 carb. Any Suggestions on a new carb that would fit right out of the box? Thanks for the help

[IMG]local://upfiles/49972/1F9AD81BF3E047BAA21190EE9C575507.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-04-2007, 12:48 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

If you go to the http://www.Ponycarbs.com site you will see that they have to do some special things to get those crappy 1100 carbs to behave. Consider getting one from them after they have worked it over.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Psiclone

As for a rebuild kit, I know you can get one for the 1100 at Autozone for about $15. It includes all the gaskets, bb's,pump diaphragms and a needle/seat. If you happen to have something other than the 1100, say a Carter, they should have the kits for those, too. Just make sure you identify what carb you have because Ford used different ones throughout the production of the I6. There's also a difference betweenthe carbs for an automatic versus a manual tranny.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:52 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

There is acommon flat spot on these carbs. However itshould not die. Try to retune it without the vacuum gauge as this carb is far from new.And ifit don't improve.And like Soaring said, you may want to try "Pony Carbs".

Quick Reply: Carb Tuning/Hesitation problem, autolite 1100