Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Transmission gasket leak, again

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 01:40 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Default Transmission gasket leak, again

Well, I put on the gasket the first time, and it leaked.
I posted on here, and I got that I should use weatherstrip adhesive (between pan and gasket) and axle bearing grease (between gasket and transmission). So I did that, and it still leaks. No idea why. What am I doing wrong?

Also as a note, I "wiggled" the part of the gasket that I could touch, and a drip of tranny fluid formed. I bet this isn't supposed to happen. Should I suck it up and go to a tranny shop? I hate that they charge you like 100 bucks, then if it's screwed, they make you pay for a rebuild.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:43 AM
JamesW

Default RE: Transmission gasket leak, again

Have you tried one of the high quality Fel-Pro rubber coated steer gaskets yet? They make them for oil pans, valve covers and intakes...not sure about tranny pans.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:08 AM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

If that's the bottom pan, the bolt holes are 'dented' upward and need to be flattened. This happens to that type of pan when it is overtightened. Thicker gaskets get torqued down even tighter so back off on the wrench. It's 12-16 foot pounds so use a torque wrench.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:36 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

James,
All I could find was this

I did torque it correctly, but it just leaked everywhere. It wasn't tight enough, so I did it by hand, and it stopped leaking for about 12 hours. Then it started again.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:48 AM
dozierstang
2nd Gear Member

Try this, just get a cork gasket from Autozone and use silicone sealant on both sides. Apply sealant to the pan as consistently as you can. Gently lay the gasket on top of the sealant. Apply a consistent small bead of sealant on the gasket. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. Make sure the pan flange on the tranny is clean and dry ( no oil residue), then torque it down in a criss cross pattern. Before you put the gasket on the pan, lay it on a flat surface and check for any inperfections or warping. You may need a new pan if the one you have is stock and warped. Oh BTW, C4 pans are cheap...like $20. Like your ID by the way.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:57 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Thanks dozierstang - I didn't know the C4 pans were cheap. Heck, I'll get a new one, just to be sure.

I am having a problem with the mating surface on the transmission. I let it drain for like 2 hours, but it was still dripping. I wiped it down dry, then put the pan on there.Hopefully, that will keep it dry enough while I get the gasket and pan on there with the silicone.

Which brand of sealant do you think I should use? I have heard RTV isn't as good as everyone makes it out to be, but who knows...that's what I've always used.

Thanks,
Old 06-28-2007, 12:33 PM
dozierstang
2nd Gear Member

Yea, I picked up a heavy duty chrome pan for my 67C6 for like $26. The stock pans are thin and tend to warp on the mustangs. I got a Ford Motorsport one at Mustangs Unlimited. Check em out. I usually don't use silicone on my tranny gaskets. Mainly because it is a pain to cleanwhen you have to take it off. If your pan is bent up then that is your problem, don't use any gasket dressing or silicone. I usually use the orange high heat stuff when I do use silicone. But check the pan out first. You are lucky to have a C4, I have an FMX in my 69 and I cannot find a pan anywhere. I have a bad leak and just hope that it isn't the pan.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:45 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

I've heard that 'nine out of ten doctors that have tried camels prefer women'. RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) adhesive is one of the modern inventions and works fine in the applications for which it was intended- so your 'hearsay' is bogus. The biggest problem people have with RTV is not reading the surface preparation instructions. Again, your problem with the bottom pan is that its mounting surface is warped. Getting a new pan is a good idea, as trying to straighten out a 'warped' one is at best - iffy.
Jim
Old 06-28-2007, 01:46 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

I like the Ultra Black RTV for the pan. I dont put anything between the gasket and the case. grease there is a bad idea. RTV between the case and gasket will work, but its a pain to clean off when you change fluid or service the trans.

Can stress the flat pan enough, the holes are always pushed up from overtightening of the bolts. Its only around 12ftlbs of torque for pan to case bolts. Most people crank em down supertight and that makes for more leaks.

Also check the shift quadrant seal, they will start leaking there and most people will assume its the pan. Accumulator, servo, and governor covers are also a common source of leaks make sure its the pan doing the leaking.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:58 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys,

A friend and I got under there last night and checked EVERYWHERE for leaks, all over the trans, and determined it was only coming from the gasket. Hopefully I can get this thing taken care of once and for all this weekend.

Quick Reply: Transmission gasket leak, again