Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Getting serious about my 66 GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 06:00 AM
SCRATCHY30
2nd Gear Member

Default Getting serious about my 66 GT

Anyhow, I was planning on buying a 98 camaro z28 as an addtional car, but today when I found out that insurance was going to be 263 a month, I said forget it[:@]

so now I have my Mustang for several more years, was going to keep the mustang still but not drive it as much, so now it still remains the daily driver.

anyhow, I have a few questions, lets see, I have an 8" rear end, upgrading to a 9" possi and getting different gears is more for racing right? Like if drive normal there would be no difference right, only if I were to do a fast take off or go all out? This wouldn't be like upgrading a carb or intake and stuff where the power is right under your foot at all times? So ya, this is the only upgrade I am considering, thought about new heads or a supercharger, but nah....

Then I think my motor is having a few problems, it seems that like 1 to every 2 weeks about half the oil is gone? this may just be how it is, old car, 302, a lot of performance, so I was thikning that it may be normal? how often do you guys have to oil up your old stangs this will give me a better idea? and after I drive it for awhile, oil is in the creveses of my manifold, thought it was the valve cover bolts that were loose, they were tight, and I checked the carb everything looked ok, it is an edelbrock 600cfm, could this oil just be seapage (sp) and be a normal thing?

Then I need to do some suspension work to the front, it squeeks and it is a rather loose ride I must say, any good set to buy for front suspension, how about that Grab-A-trak kit? last but not least adding an export brace and a monte carlo bar? does it really stiffen up the front that much more, or do they just make the engine bay look better.

Ya, so that is that for the stang, just gonna buy a few more things for it to dress it up a bit still, thought about changing the rims to some TT2's

Hope someone can give me some advice sorry for the super long post.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Getting serious about my 66 GT

If this is a daily driver, I wouldn't go through the cost of putting a 9 inch locker in it. As far as your oil problem, you are most likely burning oil. I burn about 1/2 quart in 3K miles on my 65 with a 289 with 120K miles on it. So, I never have to add any. Check your pcv valve, and always change it when you do a tune-up. You're probably getting some blowby, so make sure the ventilation system is working properly. As far as the export brace and MC are concerned, yes they will stiffen up the front considerably, especially the export brace.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:20 AM
f8lpony

like soaring said if it is just a daily driver i wouldnt worry about the locker or even the 9 inch for that matter, (if you are not looking to be puttin down alot of ponies) . as far as the oil problem it is not normal to have to put more oil in it every week or two, check it over make sure your not leaking oil anywhere, it may also be the result of alot of mileage. the export brace definately stiffens up the car, the monte carlo bar will also but not as much as the export brace. a lower gear would be more for racing or if you wanted a street machine, it gives you faster acceleration, but it will kill gas mileage, it will make it feel like you have more ponies depending on how low of a gear you get.

hope this helps
Old 01-16-2005, 02:29 AM
SCRATCHY30
2nd Gear Member

Well I looked over everything, I am going to put some oil treatment in and go from 10-30 to 10-40, I just think it is getting burned up, it isn't leaking half a quart every 5 days you know? so ya, hopefully this will help a lot.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:36 PM
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

10w-40 is what I run. I don't drive my mustang much any more so I don't use much oil. Check your pcv valve like soaring said

I think I would leave the 8" in for now.

Export brace and a monte carlo bar is a must. Your shocktowers cave in overtime. Get a bigger front sway-bar and a rear sway-bar, front spring (I think 620lb), and ladder bars. You can also get subframe connecters. They help stiffen you sub-frame up.

I'm 32 and my insurance for my mustang is about $100 a year.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:25 PM
SCRATCHY30
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info man, I just put in some oil treatment as well yesterday, and I am gonna start using 10-40 again, I'll keep an eye on it and keep you guys upgraded, the pvc valve seems to be fine.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:02 PM
MustangLuvr

People do change gears for racing, but will have an effect on your daily driving as well. If you put a higher gear ratio, (from 3.86:1 to 4.11:1) you will get quicker response off the line, top speed will go down. Also, your fuel mileage will more than likely go down since your engine will be turning at a higher RPM. If you go to a lower gear ratio, (3.86:1 to 3.56:1) you will get worse response off the line. But your top speed will increase. Also your mileage will more than likely go up since your engine will be turning at a lower RPM.

Eric
Boise Id

Just threw out those gear ratios out there as examples. Don't reply calling me an idiot because I used Chevy ratios or something like that. I really don't care. Just don't remember which companies used which gears.