Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A few perormance gain rumors? are they true?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 06:52 AM
SCRATCHY30
2nd Gear Member

Default A few perormance gain rumors? are they true?

Anyhow, I was talking to this guy that works on cars, he has done work on mine. He has a 66 fastback, he looked at my engine and commented that I was losing power due to how my battery was hooked up, I dunno what he was talking about? is there a certain way or thing to use to hook up your battery to get max power? he said a connector I had was too small, sounds kinda fishy?

Also, he said K&N air filters are the best, but isn't the only advantage with those is that they are washable? I mean how can an air filter add HP, if it can, can someone please explain it to me, thanks.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: A few perormance gain rumors? are they true?

I've never heard of the way a battery is hooked up would make you lose or gain power. I have the positive side on the right side away from the fender so it doesn't accidentally spark in case I hit the fender with it. Regarding the air filter, hell if you could increase hp with a different filter, then just take the damn thing out when you race. Sounds fishy to me too. [:-]
Old 01-15-2005, 11:31 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

the battery thing is bs..after the car is started the battery isn;t in the picture..a ford paper filter out flows a K/N for about the first 500 miles...then the k/n out performs it...reason the paper get clogged with dirt the cotton one doesn't....
Old 01-16-2005, 12:05 AM
f8lpony

a performance filter lets the engine breathe more, if you have a cheaper filter or a clogged filter wont let the engine breathe as much, its kinda like you trying to breathe threw a straw. they claim a k&n filter can give you 10-15 more hp. a performance filter will definately help your motor out, how much it helps will depend on what is already done to the motor, it will probably not be a noticeable difference until you get the times.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:46 PM
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

Go back ank ask him more about the battery thing. It could be that your hot wire going to your coil is to small or something like that.

I heard that K&N airfilters don't clean the air as good as a paper filter. I think a fram Airhog is like a K&N. I think I will stick with my paper filter.