Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Just finished install, Flaming River column

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 10:02 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Default Just finished install, Flaming River column

A couple of photos of the install (if they load) and info. What I thought would take a couple of hours turned into about 10. My old tilt away column was on its last leg with the electrical. It could easily be fixed with a new switch (maybe) but I decided to go with the Flaming River unit due to the cost. So I picked one up at show, the verder said it was a easy nuts and bolt install.So I did'nt buy the install kit (useless). Boy didthis guy have "Brown Eyes", or what? The first difference I noticed was the shaft size is 1/4 inch smaller. So, since I did'nt buy the install kit, I fabed the mounts. This was fairly simple. Just when I thought I was in open ground, I had a fit with the steering adaptor. Either I fowled up or they did. It just did'nt fit. Well ends up, I had to use the adaptor I had set aside for the 65 Fastback I plan to do next(fall project). After test fitting using the plastic cam signal canceling device, it wuold not fit. So I brought out the wiz wheel and grinder and went to work cutting off about 1/8 of the inner lip that is nearest the column. I guess all in all it was worth it. The signals and brake lights work great as well as the Emergency flashers. The wiring was simple, however I did have to install a Relay for the horn using the original power feed and return.As a note, the wiring diagram they sentwas off. The signal power and emergency flashers power was reversed (color code).So the ole probe went to work.Has anyone else had difficulty in installing one of these or is it just me? It does look pretty good though.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture017.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture016.jpg
Old 07-27-2007, 10:04 PM
takeoutexodus
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Just finished install, Flaming River column

What does that little red button do ?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:18 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Thats the Dynitrogen monoxide switch, activator, button, makes it go faster. Greatfor grinsand giggles.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:33 AM
rogula

The console where you mounted your stereo, did you fabricate that yourself? What is mounted under it?
Old 07-28-2007, 02:06 AM
xian67
2nd Gear Member

holy **** that is freaking nice man
Old 07-28-2007, 02:20 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67 evil eleanor

A couple of photos of the install (if they load) and info. What I thought would take a couple of hours turned into about 10. My old tilt away column was on its last leg with the electrical. It could easily be fixed with a new switch (maybe) but I decided to go with the Flaming River unit due to the cost. So I picked one up at show, the verder said it was a easy nuts and bolt install. So I did'nt buy the install kit (useless). Boy did this guy have "Brown Eyes", or what? The first difference I noticed was the shaft size is 1/4 inch smaller. So, since I did'nt buy the install kit, I fabed the mounts. This was fairly simple. Just when I thought I was in open ground, I had a fit with the steering adaptor. Either I fowled up or they did. It just did'nt fit. Well ends up, I had to use the adaptor I had set aside for the 65 Fastback I plan to do next (fall project). After test fitting using the plastic cam signal canceling device, it wuold not fit. So I brought out the wiz wheel and grinder and went to work cutting off about 1/8 of the inner lip that is nearest the column. I guess all in all it was worth it. The signals and brake lights work great as well as the Emergency flashers. The wiring was simple, however I did have to install a Relay for the horn using the original power feed and return. As a note, the wiring diagram they sent was off. The signal power and emergency flashers power was reversed (color code). So the ole probe went to work. Has anyone else had difficulty in installing one of these or is it just me? It does look pretty good though.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture017.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture016.jpg
Is this a tilt column?
Old 07-28-2007, 06:28 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Its a tilt column, works great.The panel that holds the stereo and A/C controls is made out of a refrigrator door (old one) and is grafted into the dash. This is a much betterlocationfor the controls vs where Ford put it. The little black box is the Accel DFI Gen 7. Its the ECM thatcontrols the engine and is fullytunablevia the laptop (brain box that runs theengine). I plan to add an Innovate LC1this week and loose the narror band. Its a wideband O2 sensor and will give more percise control of the engine as well as aAFR gauge to see how clean the combustion is (stoichiometric). Just for fun.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:19 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

what radio is that?
Old 07-28-2007, 10:41 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I installed a Flaming River column a while back, no real issues. I had forgoten that the "wire by color" instructions were not even close to correct. I had to isolate the stock wires by function, not color, and then make the connections.

Since we never intended on running a stock 66 wheel, we ordered a more "generic" version, so we never had any adapter issues.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:12 AM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Great job. Interior looks really unique I like that. Now get ascreen over those blue speakers.

Quick Reply: Just finished install, Flaming River column