Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Question for Mustang Rodders.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 05:58 PM
67coupe
2nd Gear Member

Default Question for Mustang Rodders.

I have the front end removed from my 67 body shell now. I am going to replace the firewall do to a botched floorboard replacement done years ago. I have some other things I will do while it is a bare shell so here are a few questions maybe some have encountered before. I had this posted on another board for two weeks with no response.

1. Has anyone moved the rear springs inboard and mini tubbed the wheel housings? It looks like I can gain an inch of tire clearance without shortening the back seat

2. Has anyone moved the engine back and if so are there engine mounts available with an offset to the rear? There is a lot of distance between the back of the engine and the firewall so I figured by moving it back 1-2 inches that would be an easy way to transfer some weight.

This car is going to be a cruiser, but I am going with a 427W and want to get good traction for the occasional times I want to get on the throttle.

Thanks for any insight, Jim
Old 01-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Question for Mustang Rodders.

A 427 huh? Good luck with puttng that engine in there.

a
Old 01-30-2005, 12:08 AM
67coupe
2nd Gear Member

Don't understand your response. It is the same engine that came out of it. Why would I need luck with it to put it in?
Old 02-03-2005, 02:31 AM
Syntax

Not to bash, but I don't understand the reply either.
I want to mini tub the rear end on my stang. Don't know what's involved in doing it. All I know is I want some fat meat behind me!
I've seen the engines moved back so the mustang 2 suspension would fit. What size engine do you have in it?
I would like to see a few more responses to your post.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:37 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

I think soaring did not see the big W behind the 427...big inch small blocks rule
Old 02-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 69mach1377

I think soaring did not see the big W behind the 427...big inch small blocks rule
AHAAA! Sorry.....How can you move the firewall back to get the engine further back? I have heard of it, but have never seen one, or talked to anyone who did it. Maybe that is why you got no response. Obviously, I can't help you.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:18 PM
67coupe
2nd Gear Member

I wasn't needing to move the firewall back. I am replacing the firewall, but the engine is so far foward of the firewall I could see the trans bellhousing so I figured going back a few inches shouldn't be a problem. I just have to move the brace welded to the floorboard back the correct amount for the trans crossmember to relocate to the right spot. I was just hoping somebody knew an easy way to space back the engine mounts.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:00 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Let me ask a serious question. How much track racing are you going to be doing with the car?

Moving the engine back is an old trick but unless you are planning to really try and run a competative class of racing not worth a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

As for mini-tubing, tubing, and just wide tires....how wide a tire do you want.
You can put some pretty big meats in there in stock form with the proper backspacing on the wheel.
What is your intended use...straight line racing only, twisty racing only, street driving?
Old 02-04-2005, 12:37 AM
67coupe
2nd Gear Member

Main goal for this car is a cruiser for my wife and I to enjoy. I also want to have outstanding acceleration. I am going with the 427 stroker so I can stay milder with the cam and convertor for driveabilty. I already have a 9" with 3:50 gears to put in it. With that much engine I don't want a traction problem. I have to replace the left inner wheelhouse anyway and so I thought about the mini tub idea. I enjoy doing this kind of stuff and am in no hurry to get it all done. I don't like having to raise the car or having tires stick out past the wheel well. I have worked on 65-68 stangs that belonged to friends in the past, but this is my first. I have a 69 F100 I have owned for 27 years and done about all I can do to it. My cars before that were Mopars, a 23T I built and Olds 442's. The goal is just for this to be a fun project and have some of my personality in it when done.