Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Bullitt............Not that impressed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:51 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Bullitt............Not that impressed.

The movie may not be much to people these days, but back then I'm sure it was all its hyped up to be. I still thought it was entertaining.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:48 PM
jcomp
2nd Gear Member

I thought it was an OK movie.

What was interesting about the car chase was watching that fat lumbering mopar plow through the turns like a derailed train.

I read somewhere that they tore up a few Mustangs filming that chase but only used one charger. Too bad.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:26 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I have a new issue of Mustang and Fords or something like that that says that they have found the only surviving original Bullitt car.

Ford supplied two for the movies. One was trashed making the movie and the other one was sold off, went through a few owners and is in this guys garage and he said that the ONLY way he will bring it out is to go into an official Mustang museum.

The people who filmed that last Charlies Angels movies hounded him relentlessly to use the Mustang until he finally threatened legal action for them to cease and desist.

The guy isn't even a Mustang head. He's just a dude that bought a fastback 25 years ago and kept it. Seems like he's kinduva dick.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

I thought they trashed at least 4 fastbacks and similar number of Chargers
the interesting thing about it at the time was that Steve McQueen did all his own driving - no stunt dude.

Imagine launching a new car off one of those SanFran jumps...it would probably desintegrate on take off, airbags would blow, ABS, traction control and those elevator alarms[:'(].

For a movie made 40 years ago, the chase was pretty spectacular. Even bytoday's standards it stacks up because all the new chase scenes (like Ronin) involve computer generatedstuff.

I agree the rest of the movie is a bit of a snoozer.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:54 PM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fastbackford351

I have a new issue of Mustang and Fords or something like that that says that they have found the only surviving original Bullitt car.

Ford supplied two for the movies. One was trashed making the movie and the other one was sold off, went through a few owners and is in this guys garage and he said that the ONLY way he will bring it out is to go into an official Mustang museum.

The people who filmed that last Charlies Angels movies hounded him relentlessly to use the Mustang until he finally threatened legal action for them to cease and desist.

The guy isn't even a Mustang head. He's just a dude that bought a fastback 25 years ago and kept it. Seems like he's kinduva dick.

the dude is a dick, i hope he reads this, he wont even let the car be photographed, yet he is going to let his 16 YEAR OLD SON drive it
Old 08-09-2007, 07:02 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 90lxstang

The movie may not be much to people these days, but back then I'm sure it was all its hyped up to be. I still thought it was entertaining.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:24 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dcohen

ORIGINAL: fastbackford351

the dude is a dick, i hope he reads this, he wont even let the car be photographed, yet he is going to let his 16 YEAR OLD SON drive it
Yeah I'm hoping that the kid let's enthusiasts get a look at it and it gets photographed etc. It was in Mustang Monthly by the way. People have to remember that the chase scene isn't much today...it's completely unrealistic. Not only did the 390 keep up with the 440 but the Mopar somehow went through more than 4 hubcaps. It's just like Jaws - great for it's timebut nothing to be impressed with now.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:45 PM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

The movie was not a real technological masterpiece, but it deserves its' classic status. Not for the storyline, not for the cinematography , not even for the actor McQueens' presence. It deserves its' classic status because of what it did for the American performance car scene. Sales of Chargers and Mustangs were brisk in the months following the movies release. A whole generation of kids grew up fascinated by the wheel hopping, tire frying , hump jumping antics of one green Mustang. The Charger and the bad guys only cemented the competitive vein which was underlying in the storyline. Don't forget this was the first year of the new bodystyle Charger.

Along the same era there were a host of other " car " movies which were really not all that spectacular but aided in the mystique of the muscle car marketing efforts. Who can forget the Challenger in "Vanishing Point " ? What about the 73 Mustang in the original " Gone in 60 Seconds" ? How about " Eat My Dust" , " American Graffiti" , " Two Lane Blacktop ", " Macon County Line " , "Return to Macon County" etc ... ? "Sail Rabbit " is a term I still use today.

Then in the following years we grew up on the whole "Smokey and the Bandit" trilogy,"Hooper" ," Six Pack" , " Stroker Ace" , "Christine"," Dukes of Hazard" etc ... If you think those movies aren't still ridiculously popular... well, you've never seen Miss Simpson in a pair of Daisy Dukes !

When purchasing or viewing any of these movies try to look past the ridculous number of shifts McQueen pulls off in the Bullitt car. Don't count the number of times the hubcaps come and go on the Charger. Never mind the fact that no car could possibly jump a river and drive away unscathed. It's all of no consequence. What matters is that these movies perpetuated the life of our hobby. They drove the automotive industry 40 + years ago just as they drive it today. Don't believe me ?

Look at what " The Fast and the Furious" have done for the import scene. Look what the most recent "Gone in 60 Seconds" did for the Eleanor craze and for the resurgence of Shelby. It's my humble opinion that the last Gone in 60 is directly responsible for the current crop of Shelby/Ford efforts. The car companys are capitalizing on the fever generated by a movie, just like they've been doing for 40 years. We should all be grateful !

JMHO, Dean
Old 08-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

For a movie made 40 years ago, the chase was pretty spectacular. Even by today's standards it stacks up because all the new chase scenes (like Ronin) involve computer generated stuff.
Exactly.

People tend to forget that at the time, that was the motherfriggin' chase, man, only the French Connection matched it for years.

I rather see the Bullitt car chase scene showcasing to great classic American muscle cars than those annoying rice racers from the Fast and the Furious.

...and while the movie itself is not that great, Steve McQueen certainly was, the silent intensity of that man was legendary.

Long live the king of cool forever!

[8D]
Old 08-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RSRXION

The movie was not a real technological masterpiece, but it deserves its' classic status. Not for the storyline, not for the cinematography , not even for the actor McQueens' presence. It deserves its' classic status because of what it did for the American performance car scene. Sales of Chargers and Mustangs were brisk in the months following the movies release. A whole generation of kids grew up fascinated by the wheel hopping, tire frying , hump jumping antics of one green Mustang. The Charger and the bad guys only cemented the competitive vein which was underlying in the storyline. Don't forget this was the first year of the new bodystyle Charger.

Along the same era there were a host of other " car " movies which were really not all that spectacular but aided in the mystique of the muscle car marketing efforts. Who can forget the Challenger in "Vanishing Point " ? What about the 73 Mustang in the original " Gone in 60 Seconds" ? How about " Eat My Dust" , " American Graffiti" , " Two Lane Blacktop ", " Macon County Line " , "Return to Macon County" etc ... ? "Sail Rabbit " is a term I still use today.

Then in the following years we grew up on the whole "Smokey and the Bandit" trilogy,"Hooper" , " Six Pack" , " Stroker Ace" , "Christine", " Dukes of Hazard"

etc ... If you think those movies aren't still ridiculously popular... well, you've never seen Miss Simpson in a pair of Daisy Dukes !

When purchasing or viewing any of these movies try to look past the ridculous number of shifts McQueen pulls off in the Bullitt car. Don't count the number of times the hubcaps come and go on the Charger. Never mind the fact that no car could possibly jump a river and drive away unscathed. It's all of no consequence. What matters is that these movies perpetuated the life of our hobby. They drove the automotive industry 40 + years ago just as they drive it today. Don't believe me ?

Look at what " The Fast and the Furious" have done for the import scene. Look what the most recent "Gone in 60 Seconds" did for the Eleanor craze and for the resurgence of Shelby. It's my humble opinion that the last Gone in 60 is directly responsible for the current crop of Shelby/Ford efforts. The car companys are capitalizing on the fever generated by a movie, just like they've been doing for 40 years. We should all be grateful !

JMHO, Dean
Excellent post, man!

Quick Reply: Bullitt............Not that impressed.