Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

brake lights stay on

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:05 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

Default brake lights stay on

well ever since ive had my car ive had electrical problems with my tail lights and turn signals. after taking my car cruising last night i found that my brake lights just stay on. it just started last night and i am terrible at electrical so have no idea what is causing it. i was just hoping you guys could give me some ideas. thanks
Old 08-12-2007, 07:51 PM
scuf23
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: brake lights stay on

You may want to start checking the switch at the brake metal - maybe it is stuck ... if that is not it, well you need to check the circuit and make sure the switch is set up as such i.e. if it is not closed, circuit is opened and no power to the brake lights ...
Old 08-12-2007, 07:54 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

same thing happened to me, the spring in the brake light switch was rusted up bad and got bent and stuck on, simple fix
Old 08-12-2007, 07:56 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

how can i tell if its stuck? and how would i check the circuit? sorry for all the questions but im not very good at this stuff.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:01 PM
scuf23
2nd Gear Member

Go ahead and it out from the brake pedal axle and plug it back - then go and check your brake lights - you will also see that there is a spring in the mechanism and that there is one part that should be able to travel and compress the spring, and when you release with your finger it should come back ...
Old 08-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

The best thing for you to do is find some one who can check it for you. It's a very simple process for a knowledgeable person.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:17 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

when i unplug the switch it does turn off. the switch doesnt look stuck, it actually looks pretty new. my mom was just telling me about this electrical engineer who has a 67 mustang convertable so shes going to try and call and see if he'll work on it.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:23 PM
scuf23
2nd Gear Member

Did you take the switch off the pedal or did you test it in place? if it was in place, maybe the installation is not correct and it stays closed even when you are not touching the pedal - if it was out of place, did you play with it to see if it was moving? I mean it sounds that the issue is in-deed around the switch ... either wrong installation or faulty
Old 08-12-2007, 08:34 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

i guess it could be installed wrong but im not sure. i did take it out and play with though and re-installed it the way i found it...when i press the pedal down i can see the spring compressing. maybe its just a bad switch? would a regular auto parts store carry the part or would i have to order through a catalog.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Looking new means nothing in electrical parts.
Give it a visual inspection.
Push and pull the pedal up and down and see if the plunger of the switch is moving in and out.
If not it may be frozen or attached incorrectly.
If it is the switch is NG and broken inside.
At this point take the switch off, plug the connector back in and actuate the switch to be sure. When the plunger is released the lights should be on, when it's depressed they should be off.

I guess I'm a day late and a dollar short.
Plug it in to test it.
You'll have to order it.

Quick Reply: brake lights stay on