Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fan Shroud Temp Difference

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 01:46 PM
adr3naline
1st Gear Member

Default Fan Shroud Temp Difference

Okay, this is a very broad, general question, but I'm curious...

How much should a fan shroud help with cooling in degrees?

My 70 coupe currently has no shroud, and it gets hot, and everyone has suggested getting a new shroud (which I am). But what kind of temperature differences should I see once it is on? 15 degrees cooler at idle? Or what?

Also, does anybody know... is a 2 row radiator original for a 70 coupe with no AC?
Old 08-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Fan Shroud Temp Difference

I really can't give you a specific answer because I also added a 4 row radiator and an overflow tank when I put my shroud on. Mine went from overheating to not getting above the 1/4 mark on the gauge. Most likely you will gain about 10 to 15 degrees, but that is just a guess. That 2 row radiator is what needs to be replaced. It just doesn't have enough capacity to properly cool that engine.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:53 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

It is my understanding that a fan without a shroud is between 35% and 55% less efficient than the same fan with a shroud...
Old 08-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: JMD

It is my understanding that a fan without a shroud is between 35% and 55% less efficient than the same fan with a shroud...
Wow! That much, huh?
Old 08-15-2007, 02:56 PM
adr3naline
1st Gear Member

Question now about the actual radiator...

Cal Mustang says that the original size for my radiator is a 20", but when I measure it... it's 21". If I buy the 20" shroud, is it going to fit? Meaning... is 20" just a name for the radiator that actually measures 21"?
Old 08-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

The 20" shroud will work just fine. It is round and not square so the 17" fan blade will fit just fine inside the shroud. The 20" is a measurement for the inside of the round hole, not the outside diameter of the square part of the shroud. You want half of your fan blade inside the shroud and 1/2 outside it. So, you may have to get an adapter to make that happen but hopefully you will luck out. I hope you know that you are going to have to take your radiator out of the car to mount the shroud, so plan accordingly.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:12 PM
adr3naline
1st Gear Member

Really? I thought I just needed to remove the fan... and the shroud bolts into the side mounts of the radiator... then re-install the fan.

Why wouldn't this work?
Old 08-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

If your fan is set up properly, it is about 1-2 inches from the radiator. Now, if you want some really scraped knuckles and learn some new 4 letter words, it is much, much easier to remove the radiator. Your fan bolts are longer than 1", so they won't come out enough to get the fan off anyway. If your fan is 6" away from the radiator, then that has to be corrected with a spacer to get the fan about 1-2 inches from the rad so that the fan will fit 1/2 in the shroud and 1/2 out. Hey, there are only 4 bolts and unhook two hoses to get out, and I guarantee you will thank me for this advice.
Save your coolant in some cleaned out milk jugs.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:09 PM
adr3naline
1st Gear Member

What is the best way to drain the radiator in a controled method? When I drained my radiator the last couple times for a flush, and to replace my thermostat, I unscrewed the drain ****... and it's located just above the lower frame. So all my fluid was dripping out at like 7 different places.

Is there a good hose to pull that wouldn't be too messy, and allow me to cleanly empty the radiator?
Old 08-15-2007, 04:17 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Put a short chunk of hose over the drain so you can 'select' where it splashes.
Jim

Quick Reply: Fan Shroud Temp Difference