Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Plastic Radiator Overflow?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:26 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Default RE: Plastic Radiator Overflow?

Well Soaring, I suppose you are correct as usual. All cars after 76 had overflow tanks that looked like ***.

What year is that Mustang of yours? 197?

The differenece is, one looks like *** and the other just kinda disappears hugging next to the radiator.

Just bustin' your chops man.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Jakaru
2nd Gear Member

I've got that big white jug but what I don't have on my car is that black fomoco bag sitting next to it. Can you guys tell me what that thing is? it seems to be missing from my car.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:32 AM
az1966
2nd Gear Member

made mine out of heavy duty 3" PVC tubing and caps,,built it just like they said above, then used 2 - 3" pipe hangers to mount it right next to the radiator, the tube is clear PVC so I can always see the fluid level and works like a champ,,,you can get the heavy duty stuff at a pumbing supply store
Old 08-16-2007, 01:08 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

the blackmofoco bag is washer fluid

dont forget if you get an overflow tank - *** or stainless - you need a recovery style cap!
Old 08-16-2007, 01:29 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Maybe I just approach a daily driver in a different way than some of you guys. I want it to be functional, and easy to work on. Mine is not a show car, and has never won a prize ever, but it starts and runs efficiently all the time. It may be a classic Mustang, but it is also a driven Mustang. I drive it hard and expect it to function just like my Mach1. That big *** white plastic overflow tank works just fine thank you.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:45 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

I have one question... If the overflow hose from the cap goes to the bottom of the recovery tank... how does the fluid get back into the radiator? Does the pressure make the fluid go back UP the tube or what? or is this tank simply so we don't hurt our precious asphalt with antifreeze?

I just don't see how it gets back in the radiator, maybe I'm dumb or its just late.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:09 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

yeh its simple as heat causing expansion of the fluid which forces it out of the tank into the overflow/ recovery tank.

when you switch off and everything cools down, the fluid in the rad contracts creating vacuum that sucks the balance back out of the recovery tank.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:11 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Awesome thanks I knew it had something to do with pressures and vacuums. I go to a math and science school. you would think I would know this
Old 08-16-2007, 02:14 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Aussie66Fastback

yeh its simple as heat causing expansion of the fluid which forces it out of the tank into the overflow/ recovery tank.

when you switch off and everything cools down, the fluid in the rad contracts creating vacuum that sucks the balance back out of the recovery tank.
That's a good explanation Aussie. You are now officially the expert on how to explain how fluid gets back into the radiator after is spews out.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:18 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

hahahha high school physics is actually pretty handy. not sure about math!

one tip
if you fit an overflow bottle, don't rely on it as an indicator of fluid level in your radiator.
example - pin hole leak in a hose. Car gets warm, loses some coolant through the pinhole, sucks air back thru same hole when it cools down. Level is slowly dropping but overflow bottle still shows ok.

if you really want a good warning device, install a low water sensor in the rad as well as having a working temp guage.

Quick Reply: Plastic Radiator Overflow?