Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

If you could have EFI without a specific computer, would you go for it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 07:10 PM
scouttrooper
1st Gear Member

Default If you could have EFI without a specific computer, would you go for it?

Check this out. There is a universal EFI computer being sold that has no real limitations as you dial it in. This gives you complete control over fire as well as fuel. It is sold as a "learning tool", probably so no one can come back on them and claim the company destroyed an engine. Here it is...

http://www.megasquirt.info/

A person would have to learn how advance affected things. You'd have to know about types of FI. But it would allow you to collect just about any parts for cheap and have them work. Fun or futility?
Old 08-18-2007, 07:11 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Default RE: If you could have EFI without a specific computer, would you go for it?

I like Holleys!
Old 08-18-2007, 07:27 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Default RE: If you could have EFI without a specific computer, would you go for it?

Lots of people use them and love them. Makes EFI a little more affordable. You can tune with your own laptop, use any sensors you want and map your own fuel maps and timing curves from scratch. So in answer to the last question. FUN !
Old 08-18-2007, 07:32 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

My lap is designed for a 125 pound blond female, not a computer.
Let me modify my statement on Holley's -
I like Webbers Too.
Jim
Old 08-18-2007, 07:43 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 66GTKFB

My lap is designed for a 125 pound blond female, not a computer.
Let me modify my statement on Holley's -
I like Webbers Too.
Jim
The money you saved in gas with EFI you could get two blondes.
mmmm, I need to fuel inject........
Old 08-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Everybody who has been a member on here for any time at all knows that I think a classic mustang with an EFI engine is just wrong. You may as well put a Toyota engine in it as far as I am concerned. It's the same thing. You are putting an engine into a classic that was not designed for a classic Mustang. I like Motorcraft carbs.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:46 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Well that was my third choice.
Jim
Old 08-18-2007, 07:58 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Everybody who has been a member on here for any time at all knows that I think a classic mustang with an EFI engine is just wrong. You may as well put a Toyota engine in it as far as I am concerned. It's the same thing. You are putting an engine into a classic that was not designed for a classic Mustang. I like Motorcraft carbs.
REALLY ?! I think that's the first time I've heard that. I kinda see it as having your cake and eating it,too. That's cool.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:31 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Megasquirt works well, if you know what you're doing, and the idea with it is too learn. I plan on going with Edelbrock's Pro Flo setup though, takes a lot of the trouble out of it, and it comes with it's own tuning module so you can fine tune the fuel/spark curves
Old 08-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I see you only have 30 something posts, so you don't know the history. I like to keep my Mustangs as factory original as possible, but with small upgrades to keep them running smoothly and without mechanical problems. My 65 is a daily driver, and I keep it up-to-date just as I do my 03 Mach1. Along with the daily driver status comes maintenance issues as well as road trash getting thrown onto the undercarriage parts.That is the biggest issue I am facing since I do not own a lift.

Quick Reply: If you could have EFI without a specific computer, would you go for it?