Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

If it's not one thing it's another

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:57 AM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Default If it's not one thing it's another

Well I should be driving my Mustang by now but everything just keeps going wrong.

First it was the whole cosmetic restoration (paint, interior, etc...), which had its set backs but went fine none the less. Then we started doing the gauges, heater and stereo among other things, that also had it's set-backs but went fine. So I take it to the car show and I figure that it's ready to drive now. Wrong. I start getting an exhaust smell in my car, turns out I need a new exhaust system. So I get a new system from the headers back, there goes another $350.

Then it starts jumping when you try and start out in first, so I talk to a mechanic and he says that the clutch probably just needs adjusted. Wrong again. He test drives it earlier this week, takes it apart and what does he find? The clutch has burn marks all over it and even some marks that he couldn't seem to identify. He also had to resurface the flywheel. So he did all that, put it back together, goes to put the spacer plate on the bellhousing and has to grind down the edges to get it to fit with the headers. Then he puts the starter on and it grinds really bad. He takes it off and all the teeth are ground down, so I need a new starter. He gets the new starter goes to put it one and it won't fit because it's to big, so he's been trying to grind down some of the spacer plate so that it'll fit. Now there goes another $850.

This whole ordeal has lead me to believe that I infact have the car from hell[sm=badbadbad.gif]. I know that people on here have had or are having MUCH worse problems than I am, but I'm bored and I just wanted to vent. But even though so many things have gone wrong, I guess that's the business of car restoration and I wouldn't trade my car for anything else (well maybe a Boss or a Shelby). Thanks for listening guys.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:16 AM
plcdude
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: If it's not one thing it's another

I hear your pain.

If it makes you feel any better I have been in the middle of the same thing for a while now. Just keep plugging away.

After all it is just money and you can always make more. However, Ford is not making any more 60's stangs.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:21 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

All typical issues for a 40 year old car!! Except for the starter not fitting, I don't understand that completley... The old starter must have fit,, right?

Maybe he is trying to fit the wrong starter???

Oh,, and the burn marks on the clutch/flywheel,,, might they be the result of doing burnouts???
Old 08-22-2007, 10:30 AM
fast65
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JMD

All typical issues for a 40 year old car!! Except for the starter not fitting, I don't understand that completley... The old starter must have fit,, right?

Maybe he is trying to fit the wrong starter???

Oh,, and the burn marks on the clutch/flywheel,,, might they be the result of doing burnouts???
I neither confirm nor deny these accusations. The orginal starter fit but it didn't work in there which is probably the reason that the PO didn't put the spacer plate on. He ordered a starter for a '65 Mustang and he's an old Ford guy that my dads known for a while so I'm pretty sure that it's right, but then again anything is possible.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:42 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

I just got her back from the shop and she drives great! The starter sounds completley different (in a good way), the clutch is easier to push in, and it's easier to shift. Finally I can drive her around town.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: fast65

I just got her back from the shop and she drives great! The starter sounds completley different (in a good way), the clutch is easier to push in, and it's easier to shift. Finally I can drive her around town.
Yayyyyyy Team. Now, don't do any more donuts in the school parking lot.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:57 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

ORIGINAL: fast65

Yayyyyyy Team. Now, don't do any more donuts in the school parking lot.
Who told you, I didn't think anybody could see me through all the smoke?!"I love the smell of burning rubber in the morning, it smells like...victory."
Old 08-22-2007, 05:43 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: plcdude

After all it is just money and you can always make more. However, Ford is not making any more 60's stangs.
That is the best statement I have heard so far. I am gonna tell that to the Mrs. next time I need something.

As far as constant problems, that is the name of the game. I am sure that when I am finished installing all of the parts in my garage, something else will screw up.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:50 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

That is awesome to hear you are back on wheels and as for the up grades starter and such.... at least you caught it before something major happened you never know... I also agree burnouts do smell like victory.....
Old 08-23-2007, 09:41 AM
fast65
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 66JameStang

That is awesome to hear you are back on wheels and as for the up grades starter and such.... at least you caught it before something major happened you never know... I also agree burnouts do smell like victory.....
It is great to be driving it again. I was coming out of a traffic circle in first last night, and since I hadn't been driving it for a couple days my foot started to get a little heavy (if you know what I mean). So I romp on it and I seemed to have a hard time getting traction for about 20 feet when I let off. So now my car has other issues...traction issues that is.

Quick Reply: If it's not one thing it's another