Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mustang II IFS

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:02 PM
RGH69
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang II IFS

Does anyone know of any articles or tests that discuss the benefits or problems with the Mustang II setup? I was under the impression that it improved the road handling performance.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:43 PM
IM RICKY BOBBY
1st Gear Member

this question has been brought up a few times, once by me. 80% of the concencious here is that the MII is for show, as you can see above most people will say you can get a much better handling suspension for cheaper when you go with one of the combinations mentioned above.

having said that i know the 69 engine bay is huge, but as big as it is i still dont like the tight fit between the shock tower and the engine(cleveland or bigger) i myself want to and probably willget the MII kit, IMHO i feel its a pritty good deal to get r&p 11" disc brakes and the suspension for $2000, though i have never looked into what the granada kit cost but from what i have found is they range from 1000 and up which leaves you with 1000 to pickout a R&P set up and suspension.

when i asked people about this kit i tell them i want my car to corner and handle as good as a new mustang, or as close to it as i can.some of them say go with the MII other say no thats not a good suspension... as you can tell im into restomoding its hard for me to say which you should go for but you know which way im going to go. hope this helps... lucas
Old 08-23-2007, 03:45 PM
RGH69
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, we are looking into getting more space in the engine bay because we are wanting to do a turbo setup on an EFI 302. However we don't want to decrease performance of the suspension. We have been planning on the IFS from Heidt's. We are still at the body repair stage of a ground up restomod so we have time to do more research.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:37 PM
IM RICKY BOBBY
1st Gear Member

well ive gone down to a few mustang shops around my place and have asked them about that same IFS kit from heidt's and they all say its the best IFS kit out there and its also comparable to the combos' such as the ones listed above as far as handling is concerned . then again im not sure if there just trying to sell me one[:@]...
Old 08-23-2007, 06:41 PM
tarafied1
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andrewmp6

id only do the mustang 2 if it was a drag only car it kills the handling of the car.a 69 engine bay is huge you can shove a 460 in there easy. 67mustang302 i dont like tcp top mount looks kinda weak to me.i love global west coilovers they are worth the money. if i had to notch the shock towers id use http://www.rrs-online.com/ coilovers and there shock tower notching kit.but you dont have to touch the shock towers for a little 302. look at tarafields car hes got a 460 in a 68 with out touching the shock towers theres more room then you think.
andrewmp6 has a good point, the RRS set-up will give you more room without major surgery. I looked into that for my car but the 429/460 does fit with no cutting. Lots of $$$!!!
The big advantage of the Mustang II set-up is space but the original suspension geometry is not so good. Also the body/chassis flex is a problem. The Mustang II removes the shock towers so you would want to add more strength back into the front end. Anyway I would expect that you would have to be on a track to tell the difference for sure.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: usmc69mustang

I am rebuilding my 69 fastback and I want to upgrade the front brakes and suspension so I thoought this would be a good all in one package. As I am also looking to put in a 5.0 EFI it would also allow more room in the engine bay. I was wondering if it was a good idea or not. I am new a this so I am looking for the advice from more seasoned entusiasts.

Thanks,
Wade
Story on the M II control arms is that they're short, so the geometry changes faster as the suspension moves. That means it will "go away" on you a bit sooner when you start pushing it through the corners. It worked well enough in a stiffly sprung 2250# Pinto but won't be nearly as good a fit for a car that's several hundred lbs heavier. And crutching poor geometry with really stiff springs isn't the best answer for all-around driving.

On the springs, get progressive rate springs if you're oriented more toward ride comfort and cruising, linear rate if hardcore cornering has greater appeal. The first takes a little of the sting out of small bumps and normal pavement texture. The latter goes to more predictable handling up around the limits of lateral tire grip (think auto-X or serious open-track driving).

Norm
Old 08-24-2007, 02:30 AM
IM RICKY BOBBY
1st Gear Member

ok so the major plus for the MII is space....aside from that everyone seems to be against it, from the way everyone makes it sound this kit should be taken off the market, its so terrible...i just dont understand how it could be that bad for the car and handling..

and as far as adding strenght couldnt you add subframe connetors and other things such as this??
Old 08-24-2007, 04:24 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

yeah its mostly for room or a showcar. if you do use a weld in mustang 2 kit make sure you run a support bar on both sides from the front of the frame rail by the core support to the firewall if not youll find out about unibody flex.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:04 AM
usmc69mustang

I was looking at the setup from Rod and Custom because that one does not require any frame notching. Has anyone looked at that particular setup?
Old 08-26-2007, 09:03 PM
jp51mustang

I've got the Rod and custom kit. Just a 65 coupe, not a show car and I'm just putting the 289 back in it. Check out Reenmachine he like the Heidts kit. But I didn't want to notch the frame. I went this route as it's a modern suspension that gets the brakes, steering and coilovers. Should be great, I've never heard of anyone being disapointed after the install.

Quick Reply: Mustang II IFS