Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Electric issue with LED tail lights.... (Mustang Project) Help, please?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 01:05 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Electric issue with LED tail lights.... (Mustang Project) Help, please?

Hey people,
If anyone is paying attention to this thread, here is an update...

I just reinstalled the right side tail light and a few of my little issues were solved but it was still not working right. So I replaced the wiring all across the rear and finally after thinking about the original brake lights......... what could be wrong?!?! So I thought maybe the wires on the right side simply needed to be switched. That was it! So simple. I had assumed the wires would work properly either way. See, I had to replace the light housing on the right side because the LEDs sat too close to the light bucket. When I hooked up the wiring for the new light, I just hooked them up and assumed the functions would fall into place. But apparently not.

Anyways, I hope all this info helps. I want to send a special THANKS to Rick at Mustang Project for providing such good customer service with no attitude. The LEDs look awesome and are a huge upgrade. Cheers!
Old 09-04-2007, 01:39 PM
66 Restomod
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Electric issue with LED tail lights.... (Mustang Project) Help, please?

ORIGINAL: ldollar

Hey people,

I just reinstalled the right side tail light and a few of my little issues were solved but it was still not working right. So I replaced the wiring all across the rear and finally after thinking about the original brake lights......... what could be wrong?!?! So I thought maybe the wires on the right side simply needed to be switched. That was it! So simple. I had assumed the wires would work properly either way. See, I had to replace the light housing on the right side because the LEDs sat too close to the light bucket. When I hooked up the wiring for the new light, I just hooked them up and assumed the functions would fall into place. But apparently not.

Anyways, I hope all this info helps. I want to send a special THANKS to Rick at Mustang Project for providing such good customer service with no attitude. The LEDs look awesome and are a huge upgrade. Cheers!
When I had a similar problem on the right light of my 66 after installingthe MPLED board,I found that twisting the tailightpigtail that plugs onto the back of the passenger side tailight housing solved it. I think it wasn't a solid connection in the housing itself (repro housing I think).
Old 09-04-2007, 02:12 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ldollar

Hey people,

Yep, unlike bulbs that will illuminate with reversed current. LEDS must have the proper polarity or they won't bias. (electrical term fora diode conducting electricity). I would think that the electronics package as a whole needs proper polarity. You given a good tip for the folks who will do this in the future, connection matters.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:04 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

Right on!