Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
68SCode4speed
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear Main Seal leaking

Car is a '65 with the original 289 / C4 setup.

I was hoping that it was the oil pan gasket leaking at the back but after replacing the pan gasket the leak is still there. So it is the rear main seal leaking - no surprise since it is as old as the car.

Plan A: Pull 289 motor and replace rear main seal, put 289 motor back in car.

Plan B: Pull 289 motor and replace with a built up 302 spare motor that I picked up. What I want in the long run is a reliable driver with a little lope in the cam. Nothing wild or stroked since I will be spending money on the other Mustang this fall.

Anyone else been in this position? Insights ???
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

1968 Mustang S code Fastback 4 speed
68SCode4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:14 AM   #2
JMD
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 39 Ford
Default RE: Rear Main Seal leaking

Make sure that your intake manifold is not leaking out the back, if so, it will look like a rear main seal leak unless you check right at the back of the intake...

Also, you have another option,,, you can replace the main seal with the engine in the car, which is what I would do if I were in your shoes...

JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
blue66mustang
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1966 Coupe

+1
I just did this Yesterday. Pull the cross member and disconnect the pitman arm and the pan will come out. Remove the #5 main CLEAN EVERYTHING and put the new seal in place. I used the FEL PRO silicone seal. Torque to 70 foot pounds in 3 stages. The hardest part was getting the oil pan back on , its a little hard to glue the pan gasket in place then place the pan up an bolt it down ( darn gravity) . Make sure you have a helper to hold the pan.
This really only took about 3 hours in my garage and I only needed air to remove the cross member.

Nightmist Blue 1966 Coupe.
FORD STROKERS 347. Holley 650. Edelbrock Air Gap Dual Plane. Twisted Wedge FAC190's TRI-Y headers & Glass packs. C-4 B&M Shift Kit, Kevlar Bands. Billet Servo. PowerTraX Auto Locker. 1 1/8" front 1" rear ADCO sway bars. KYB Gas-Adjust Shocks. Export brace and M/C bar. CSRP KH Disc Brake Conversion. Torq Thrust D's w/ B.F.G TA Radials.
blue66mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #4
68SCode4speed
2nd Gear Member

After removing the #5 Main how do you get the seal around the backside of the crank? Is it a rope seal or a rubber seal?

1968 Mustang S code Fastback 4 speed
68SCode4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
JMD
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 39 Ford

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 68SCode4speed

After removing the #5 Main how do you get the seal around the backside of the crank? Is it a rope seal or a rubber seal?
They make a tool to remove the rope seal, called "jake the snake",,,, it screws into the rope seal and pulls it out. If the engine has the rubber seal, it will come out easy enough..

rope or rubber?? If someone has been into the engine in the last 20 years it is probably rubber...

If it is rope, there will be a small pin in the cap that will need to be removed to replace with rubber.

LOL Ok, so it is not called "Jake the snake",, it is a "sneaky pete" the "sneaky Pete" tool is still available (Lisle). Link with pic.

Outdatedlink = try this one http://www.usatoolsinc.com/index.asp...=GO&Page=1

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_32261..._2/key_/tm.htm

JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:26 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2000, 289, 600, ford, leak, leaking, main, mustang, rear, replacement, replacing, seal, tko, tremec, v6