Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Top is very pitted and need advise on hwo to fix it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 05:50 PM
SgtCowan

Default Top is very pitted and need advise on hwo to fix it.

Hey guys I am starting work on my roof right now and need to know if its even worth sanding off. I have sanded one of the corners and the rust has left the metal very pitted. If I sand this down how can I fill these pits and patch the holes? I know I could use bondo to patch the holes but would that do for the pits? Any other options other then bondo? I don't relish the idea of my roof being 50% bondo. I am going to put a vinyl top back on but would like it to be fixed while the top is off. Thanx for any advice.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Top is very pitted and need advise on hwo to fix it.

Sarge, you basically have 3 options. 1. replace the roof. 2. sand it down to as much metal as will still be called a roof and use an acid such as muriatic to stop the rust from further damage , then fill in with fiberglas. 3. Bondo....not good. AND, there is a fourth choice as you know. Cut the damn top off and make it into a vert. Nah, not a good idea. dOn edit: There is also a product called POR 15 that you can get from NPD that will stop the rust from getting any worse. There also other products called rust incapsulators. All can be purchased from National Parts Depot. Call them, and ask their advice on which on you need.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:07 AM
SgtCowan

Soaring, can you please explaing why its better to use fiberglass then bondo? Also to make sure I understand, I still ned to sand the roof down, then use some form of rust prevention (with products like you suggested) then use fiber glass to patch the holes. Can I use the fiber glass to fill in the pits? My uncle said something about using lead, is that an option these days? Thanx for the help. Oh i got pics of my car in the link included in my sig I can take a more detailed picture of the roof so u can see how bad it is if that would assist you with a recomendation.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:06 PM
ivanr77
2nd Gear Member

I'm actually working on my roof right now... After removing the vinyl top i had quite an exciting moment staring at all the rust that had developed on my roof, and similiar to your problem...i have huge pits and holes...SO... i am replacing my roof because my current roof is irrepariable.
ALTHOUGH, i could use fiberglass as soaring stated, but i do not plan on putting vinyl top back on, so...therefore, fiberglass isn't my best option.

WHY not to use bondo? well...lets say that if you do use bondo on your roof...you probably wont ever want to slam your doors really hard because its gonna pop right out. I've seen one of my friends do that on his Nova...Bondo is the cheap, poor qualitiy method out. You'll want to do what Soaring said if youre going to be putting vinyl back on. Sand that mother down to pure metal then use as many anti-rust chemicals as you can put on your roof since youre going to be putting vinyl back on top, you DONT want it to rust again.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:24 AM
SgtCowan

wow thats not what i was expecting to pay. I am gonna get some but how much do u think I need for the roof? I have begun sanding and I used some fiber glass after using some rust remover I thought that would be good enough but I will sand that off so I can apply the por 15. Wanted to say thanx soaring cause that is an awesome fix (the fiberglass). I can see the dimples but when I go to touch them they are not there they are filled in with the clear fiberglass. THanx for the info Ivan, explained a lot. I didn't know that would happen.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:39 AM
65_2plus2
2nd Gear Member

You really don't have to sand it down to bare metal, just get the big crap off.

I did my 68 that way back in the mid 80's. Used some stuff called “One Step†but it did the same the stuff now-a-days. It converted the rust and encapsulated it in a latex coating that was sandable and pintable. I then fibreglasses the top and bottom, making a bullet proof top that the vinyl top covered up nicely.

10 years later, I replaced the headliner before I sold it, and the roof still looked great, no rust and hard as a rock.

I did the same to my 65 2+2’s floor pans (Before their availability was cheap and plentiful). They to still have no rust and the fiberglass is hard as a rock.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 02-10-2005, 08:52 PM
meich75

Fiberglass works good but another option for small holes only is to fill it in with JB Weld and then sand it smooth and paint over it.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

JB weld works fairly well when you are bonding two surfaces together, but as a pit filler, I'm afraid it wold just not stick as well as fiberglass. Another reason to not use Bondo, is that it tends to soak up moisture, making for more rust problems. Yeah, Sarge, POR 15 is expensive, isn't it?
Old 02-11-2005, 01:56 PM
SgtCowan

Yeah I went ahead and fiberglassed the entire top but the top is looking really rough. Seems like the top layer hardened and then started curling up. Was kinda funy looking though.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Did you use the POR 15 first? If so, just get out your trusty electric sander and get with the program. Start with a medium grit, and end with a very fine grit paper.

Quick Reply: Top is very pitted and need advise on hwo to fix it.