Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

tons of info need for a 351 C Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:34 PM
pbrous8@lsu.edu

Default tons of info need for a 351 C Mach 1

OK, Ive seached around the web and found next to nothing useful.
So what I'd like to know is:
what is the facotry HP and Torque ratings for a 351 C from a 1972 Mach 1
how hard is it to rebuild the engine and where can I get a relatively inexpesive rebuild kit and how much should I expect it to cost?
can the 2 barrel carb that is currently on it be replaced with and 4 barrel and how involved is it?
where can I get some mach 1 seats
what do you recomend for redoing the apolstry and panneling?
where can I get "big rubber" tires for a 1" rim at a low cost?
would it be cheaper in the long run to up the rim size?
where can I get replacement parts such as a new trunk, steering wheel, and radio system.
what is the best way to fix rust holes.
what type of paint do you recomment for the engine and car body?
what manual trans. can I replace the FMX that it currently has with and where can I find one for a good price?
what companies should I go to for getting replacemnt parts for the suspension.
what performance parts can I get for it that will still allow it to retain it's original to to a certain extent?
is it worth trying to find the parts for a shaker hood?

I know this is a lot to ask but I thank in advance to those who take the time to respond to this post.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:07 PM
pbrous8@lsu.edu

Default RE: tons of info need for a 351 C Mach 1

I take it I've asked too much then?
Old 08-29-2007, 09:08 PM
opie2@aol.com
1st Gear Member

Wow, OK well I've been in your spot before so I'll give you a little advice here...Tackle one issue at a time or plan to have the car apart for years and do it all right the first time by replacing body panels, motor rebuild, trans rebuild, etc....Plan on spending tons of money too.

The 351 Cleveland can be a very powerful reliable engine if done right. Pick up the magazine How to build high performance fords on a budget.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

For me, I spent about $2200 on parts and about $700 on machine shop work. My engine didn't run when I started though...I would increase compression a little...Put a new intake and a 4bbl carb. add some headers and cam and see where that gets you...

Your gonna be looking at close to $3000 to convert to a manual transmission...The FMX can be rebuilt to be extremely durable for alot cheaper...It's a bullet proof transmission so I recommend sticking with it. When you decide what individual project you want to tackle first, let me know and I'll give you advice there.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:13 PM
pbrous8@lsu.edu

I want to take on the engine first, can't get it insured without it running properly. Right now it runs ruff at idle (~1500-1750) and you have to feather the gas to keep it running from time to time. So after ~33 years its time to rebuild this thing.
Also, I'd like to know what kind of HP and Torque this thing has to start with.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Fordication
2nd Gear Member

Pbrousard. Hey do you have a local shop that rebuilds engines and if so how much. If you do not and this is good info you can get your engine rebuilt to your specs for about $900 in Houston. The company is T-bolt or Precision. Either one is good and both build engines for local racers cheap. We race anything around here. If you take them the parts you want and tell them what you want the price will come down completely but they can order whatever you want at a very good cost. They have done 4 engines and 3 auto transmissions for me over the last 20 years and I have never heard anything bad about them. If you are interested let me know. Ed
Old 08-29-2007, 10:02 PM
pbrous8@lsu.edu

there are some local shops that do rebuilds but I have no clue what they will charge or how good their reputation is. last time I checked it would be around $1200 to get the parts and pay for the labor, but that was awhile ago.
If houston will do it for cheaper then perhaps I could go with them but that's up to my dad. He hasn't been sepparated from his car in over 30 years, I don't know if he's willing to send it that far. It's about an 8 hour drive from here.
All the same Im still fairly interested in this place in Houston. How much would it cost for me to have it rebuilt parts included and maybe shipping and handleing as well?
Old 08-29-2007, 10:04 PM
pbrous8@lsu.edu

Does anyone know what the average 351 C 2 barrel engine that was put in the 1972 Mach 1 had in terms of torque and HP. Im trying to find out so that I can plan ahead for future engine part replacements and mods.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:14 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

for the power i need the door tag info to tell you the truth .2 barrel to 4 is easy just need a new intake manifold 4 barrel carb and air cleaner.rust if theres no holes por 15 over it youll be fine if theres holes you gotta weld them up or replace the part. engine paint they sell it in spray cans for high temp the body any car paint will work fine. you want a stick best way is a t5 swap its a 5 speed with a overdrive great on the highway http://www.moderndriveline.com/catal...conversion.htm
Old 08-30-2007, 12:15 AM
hyena429
1st Gear Member

{what is the facotry HP and Torque ratings for a 351 C from a 1972 Mach 1 }

well,,it counts on the code of your mach 1..q..h..m and many otheres..but being you have a 2 barrel carb..you proubly have a 2v cleveland..which pushes about 180 horse i think in that year..maybe a tad more....2v clevelands are great motor for the street...4v more is more pure race motor launch at about 2,500 too 3,000 rpms due to the large intake valves...up too about 2.19 and bigger...so they have to launch at high rpms..2v clevelands have smaller valves so the gas atomizes a bit better and gives ya more bottem end...counts what you plan to do with it...if you wanna go full race.pick you up a set of 4v cleveland heads on ebay for about 500bucks..and build the snot of out it...lol...4v cleveland heads are good up too about 600 horse or more...but if you plan to run the street..stick to the 2v heads it has and build it up and put some 10.5.1 pistons so you can run regular pump gas still..but all counts on what you plan to do with this car race or drive it alot?
Old 08-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Fordication
2nd Gear Member

Here is the link and to have yours rebuilt with no additional hot rod parts its $950 plus tax. I like to keep my original block and heads so I take my core and have them rebuild it. It tells you everything they do and if you substitute your parts thier price will come down accordingly. They also do custom head work and balancing if you want that.
http://www.tbolt.net/

Quick Reply: tons of info need for a 351 C Mach 1