Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Who wants to play "GUESS THE HORSEPOWER!" ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 06:51 PM
jcomp
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Who wants to play "GUESS THE HORSEPOWER!" ???

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

Who cares how much horsepower it has, all that matters is how fast it goes!
I think this quote most definitely applies in this situation.

Based on what is known it sounds like you've got a respectable engine but if you don't know the cam, piston, and head specs, any estimate of your HP is just a WAG (wild-*** guess). Unless you're willing to tear the top end of your engine apart it will be hard to know for sure what it's made of. If you've got a pile of paperwork from the engine build you should look through it for the cam specification card and the engine machining receipt.

I say just drive it like it is and enjoy. If you need the numbers for the 'internet drag race' then get it run on a dyno. Better yet, run it down the dragstrip and have a little fun. [8D] You can calculate your HP from your ETs (or MPH) and vehicle weight.

BTW: from the pic it looks like your rubber fuel line (from the pump to the carb) might be rubbing in a couple of places. You should keep an eye on that. Replacing the rubber line with some metal line might be a good idea.

Oh, and don't worry about knowing everything... We all start somewhere. And most of the time I think I've gone nowhere since then.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:15 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Just drive it, yeah. If you want more power then put some spray on it
Old 08-31-2007, 09:40 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

Thanks for the kind words all of you. I appreciate the encouragement and the insightful comments.

One thing you mentioned, jcomp was about the fuel line. I will need to look into that one, I hadn't noticed what you are talking about. I wonder if that is a simple job? Thanks again.

Hope you all have a great weekend! Thanks for being so willing to help. I keep raving to everyone about how everyone that I come into contact with concerning my new Mustang is so nice and helpful. It is pretty amazing. Even here in the Bay Area, where I come into contact with as#holes every single day of my life, I still find the nicest people when it comes to my car. It is awesome. Cheers!
Old 09-01-2007, 10:20 AM
jcomp
2nd Gear Member

From the picture it looks like the line might be rubbing against the radiator hose clamp and against the fuel pump. If it is touching, then it is rubbing as the engine vibrates. You can look at the fuel line to see if there is any damage. If it's really not rubbing against anything then I wouldn't consider it a priority to replace. But IMO, a metal line would be safer and look a lot cleaner. Even Ford spent the money to use metal fuel line as much as possible.

Installing a metal line is pretty simple, you can buy brake line at the parts store and then cut and bend it to the shape you need. The rubber fuel line you already have should have a size on it, like 3/8 or 5/16, and that's the size of brake line you need. You can connect the ends of the metal line to the fuel pump and carburetor with some short pieces of your existing rubber line.

Here's a pic of LCC's engine compartment from the "Here's a picture of my engine bay, where is yours?" thread:

Notice the metal tubing.