Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Who wants to play "GUESS THE HORSEPOWER!" ???

Old 08-31-2007, 01:51 AM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

Default Who wants to play "GUESS THE HORSEPOWER!" ???

Hey team,
I was wondering if I could tap into your expertise here and see if you might be willing to make some edumuncated guesses as to the number or horses or any other vital stats you might wish to estimate? I would really appreciate any and all guesses here as I just have no idea....
Thank you for your time!
Here are a few of my stats... relevant or not, here they come.

302 - 347 Stroker w/ 18k miles
625-cfm Demon Carb
Ford Motorsport Aluminum air filter
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap Intake
Hooker Competition Headers
Flowmaster American Thunder dual exhaust
MSD Ignition & coils
C4 Automatic Transmission - TCI Street Fighter - also with 18k miles
Summit Racing Protorque (Mini) Starter
Griffin Aluminum Radiator
Ford 9" Rear End
KYB Shocks
Mobil 1 oil and filter

If anyone wants to offer any thoughts on this outfit, I would love to hear it. Or if you want to suggest any upgrades that won't break the bank but boost performance & longevity... Would love to hear it!
I didnt do any of the work so I dont know if what I have here is solid or not. Seems decent but I am just your classic newb. Thanks, all.
Peace!

Old 08-31-2007, 05:39 AM
blueovalboy7
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Who wants to play "GUESS THE HORSEPOWER!" ???

Sorry no help from me on this one, just wanted to say that is an amazing looking engine compartment. Very nice, very clean. Just overall a very nice car.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:42 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

we would need to know compression, which heads you have (they look like ford castings but could be worthless stockers, early 351's. they are not gt40's i can tell from looking at the ends of them). also what your cam specs are. then we could give you an idea.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:00 AM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

Thanks BlueOvalBoy! Appreciate the comments. I sacrificed a little in the cosmetics to make sure the Mustang I bought was mechanically sound. So thats why I have stupid questions.

Case in point:
My77... I know it sounds stupid, but how would I go about finding out the compression and what kind of heads. I know I have flat tap cams but dont know more than that. Thanks for your time here!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:35 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

You can't know the static compression unless you know what's inside. Could be 8:1 could be 11:1. Hard to tell without knowing the heads and cam. Could be 320hp, could be 420hp. As far as boosting performance, you already have a good intake, add a nice hydraulic roller cam(unless you have a decent flat tappet, but roller cams are better anyway, but cost more) and some heads and it'll spit out over 400hp without much difficulty.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:37 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

well, its cam not cams just for some classic edjumukashun (newer DOHC or SOHC V8 cars have more than one)

you really wouldnt be able to see a casting number without removing the heads, but IIRC you could pull a valve cover and the older heads had 302 or 351 cast into them, that could be a good place to start. as for compression you could use a gauge to see what your readings were, but i dont know how that trasfers over to a understandable ratio (im sure there has to be a formula)
Old 08-31-2007, 12:41 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

Okay folks, I got a little more information....
This is Greek to me but hey its all I got...

Proform Extruded Aluminum Roller Rocker Arms Rocker Arms - Stud Mount - Full Roller - Aluminum - 1.6 Ratio - Fits 3 - 8 in. Stud - Ford - Small Block - 351W - Set of ...

Does this help at ALL?

Hey it is okay to ignore me, I will just go away. Sorry for being so CLUELESS. (I have to point that fact out before someone else does!) [sm=smiley5.gif]
Old 08-31-2007, 04:27 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

1.6 ratio is stock, try 1.7 roller tip rockers, they're less expensive. it should help to emphasize your cam profile. also consider a double roller timing chain with a 2-3 degree advance/retard, it takes the cam and advances it 2-3 degrees ahead of the crank/pistons, causing the values to open earlier. . .more fuel & power. these two items should definately make a difference in the seat of your pants. side note, don't try the 1.7's if your running a high compression engine. you can check byinstalling one rocker and rotate the motor by hand, slowly, and to make sure you don't have a valve to piston clearance issue.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:39 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

330 to maybe345HP with 351 heads and a mild performance cam???

My best Guess!!

No need to go away, and we won't ignore you, even if we are a little perplexed from time to time!!

There is no shame in not knowing much about engines, stick arond here and you will learn...
Old 08-31-2007, 05:50 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

You could calculate compression ratio from compression tests, but you'd need to know when the intake valve closes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who wants to play "GUESS THE HORSEPOWER!" ???