Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Coupe market observation

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:37 PM
Charlie1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Coupe market observation

Prices are definitely going up in the Upper Midwest. When I started looking 3 or 4 years ago, I saw nice coupes with V8s and no major problems for $6m to $8m. Really sharp ones, maybe $10m. I think prices are up 25% at least since then.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:46 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

$10m!!! You can buy a nice house out here for that price!
Old 08-31-2007, 04:41 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the great news! that means if I hold onto my 66 coupe for atleast 10-20 yrs, I'll be able to recoupe the money i'veinvested in her. Great way to start the 3 day weekend. any one up for a beer!???
Old 08-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Fordication
2nd Gear Member

Not true. I can find you 66 thru 68s all day with 289s and 302s for less then 8K. And in good shape. In fact I can tell you where there is a 68 with a 289 and Auto for ~$5500 and its in real good condition with no rust and a fairly decent paint job.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:26 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

I think it's just people dreaming in most cases. I see idiots reaching for the sky when they are selling their classics. Locally here on Craigslift there is a piece of crap 69 coupe. He is advertising it as pure muscle for $9000! I can buy a 65-66 fastback for a little more. Sure it will need some work, but that's what I like to do.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 08-31-2007, 05:42 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: valley firearms

I think it's just people dreaming in most cases. I see idiots reaching for the sky when they are selling their classics. Locally here on Craigslift there is a piece of crap 69 coupe. He is advertising it as pure muscle for $9000! I can buy a 65-66 fastback for a little more. Sure it will need some work, but that's what I like to do.
[align=left][/align]
The price for anything is governed by what someone is willing to pay,,, + tax, fees, and licensing....

Old 08-31-2007, 09:37 PM
scuf23
2nd Gear Member

of course ... but the more there are people willing to pay more, the more the prices go up .... which overall is driving the market up

Fordication, I am not sure where you are located but 66 to 68 with V8 and 302 below 8k$ all day ... I may need to spend some time with you ... I am sure there are plenty of other people that would come on the trip too

Valley, a little bit more than 9k$ for a fastback ... a rust bucket surely ... but seriously you won't find any decent one with a V8 for less than $15k .... I mean if you know where we can find them at 12-13 k$ ... well I am in for another trip! ... and I will need to build a huge garage
Old 08-31-2007, 09:47 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

Hey valley firearms,
I cant really comment seriously on this topic because I have not shopped around enough. I paid 6500 for my 68 Coupe and I think I got a decent deal. Not a steal, but a good deal. I think as long as someone does not have buyers remorse or feel like a thief, they got a fair deal.

I did want to tell you that after one of your previous comments, I checked out all the photos on your page of your complete restore... Amazing. It looks like you did A LOT of work yourself and the end result speaks for itself. That looks like one beautiful Mustang.

Unfortunately many of us (myself included) do not have the work space and equipment and time and patience to work a car quite as hard as you did with yours. I do envy what you were able to do with that Mustang though. It is a work of art and I am sure that the pride you have in it is priceless.

by the way, how did you come by the name Valley Firearms, just curious.
Take it easy... Late.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:24 PM
az1966
2nd Gear Member

here in the phoenix , az area everything is going up,, the biggest "surge" is during and after the
Barrett Jackson auction when everyone thinks they have a hot rod,,seems to take 6 months for them to come down to earth,,along with the price
Old 08-31-2007, 10:29 PM
Fordication
2nd Gear Member

All you guys have to do is look on ebay and bid accordingly. It helps that I have contacts in almost every state that can go look at cars. Look at my photos of my mustang. I paid $4000 for it and it has the original paint, engine, upholstery, everything and low miles to boot. Not a scratch other then the small ding on the trunk lid. No rust and even the original radio. The last owner kept it like he was going to keep it forever and I think I will too but it will be a much modern vehicle if I ever relinquesh the title. I turned down a 68 coupe with a 289 and auto transmission with factory AC for $5500 because I found this deal instead. That car was original with a new paint job and is still for sell if anyone is looking in Mo.

Quick Reply: Coupe market observation