Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Coupe market observation

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 07:21 AM
scuf23
2nd Gear Member

Default Coupe market observation

The other day there was a post about how difficult it is to find a coupe with a manual transmission

Well, over the last couple of days I have been looking around and it seems that

1) V8 Coupe prices have been going up pretty good - looks to me that one ina good condition now runs for about 13 - 14 k$

2) Very few A codes on the market - lots of C but really not many A codes

Any thoughts / further comments on that?
Old 08-31-2007, 07:26 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Coupe market observation

its a old car the price is only going to go up over the years. there some people that care what the cars got from the factory and theres the restomod type like me buy the cheapest one they can and build it there way. when you get bored look up the production numbers on each code see which ones theres more of.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:27 AM
blueovalboy7
4th Gear Member

Not too surprising to me, before we decided that we were going to swap my I6 out for a 302, I was trying to find a V8 car, and this was a few years ago, and cars needing a lot of work were asking 5k or higher, just because it had a V8. Where are you located? Different areas sometimes have a generally higher price than others.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:31 AM
Arcticspook
2nd Gear Member

Same here in the D.C Area. For a V8 that is not a rust bucket and mostly restored (either back to "original" style or restomod) you're going to pay around 13K for it.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:54 AM
derwin66
1st Gear Member

Is that the same for a 65 T code that has been converted to a 302W.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:54 AM
LPlum
1st Gear Member

I agree with your observation. I beleive people in our hobby are finding out how restoring cars has gotten so expensive. So if you buy a car that's done, you willthousands ofdollars ahead of the game.
Lowell
Old 08-31-2007, 10:15 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Assuming the economy stays good, coupes will continue to appreciate. They are great looking cars, and when "done right" (like blueoval's) they can give fastbacks a run for their moneywith regard topopular appeal,, IMO of course....
Old 08-31-2007, 10:21 AM
scuf23
2nd Gear Member

To be honest I was thinking about selling my coupe (A code) so I can use the money to work on the FB, and maybe buying a coupe again down the road ... but having seen the market I think I am going to hold on to it and figure out a way of financing the work on the FB
Old 08-31-2007, 11:09 AM
Mr. Classic EFI
2nd Gear Member

The "A & K" code cars have been recognised as The collecable Mustangs, since this hobby really started in the 70's. They've been tracked & hunted down for years. So of course they're almost extinct in the wild.C codes are the next most desirable, just because of the V-8,and its supporting components are already there. I think its gotten to thepoint, that just finding a solid rust free car, has become the most important criteria.
Especially if your goal is to have a "HotRod" or "Restomod", which means most of the origional running gear, is likely to be replaced & upgraded anyway. Now that the hobby has turned to greater acceptance of modified mustangs, the finished product is much more important, than if you started with aC or T coded car. Its the Mustang you end with, that determines the value, not especially what you started with.
Thats true for Coupes and 2+2's.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:11 AM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

I think that regardless of the state of the economy, these cars will continue to appreciate. Sure, very few of us buy these cars for profit, per se. We buy them for fun, right? But at any rate, as these cars get older (and poor unfortunates continue to wreck them), they become more and more scarce. And aside from the lemon or the scam, I can't see how a classic can be a "bad" investment! If you are happy with the price you pay, that is all that matters.

The classic Mustang seems to gain more appeal to a broader audience every year. I have liked them for years but I had no idea how much head turning my new love...er I mean car....would do! And now that I am looking out for the classics all the time, I realize how few of them there are on the road still. There is not much better than watching people get all excited about your car on the street and waving or giving you thumbs ups....or the cute blond waving at you all flirty like....

A married man can look at the menu, but he's gotta eat at home. Have a great weekend, all of you!

Quick Reply: Coupe market observation