Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Lincoln Versailles brake mounting hole positions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:36 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

Default Lincoln Versailles brake mounting hole positions?

I don't have my car here and want to order currie's Cobra rear brake conversion for my Lincoln Versailles rear end. Does anyone know the style I should order Small Bearing, Early or late large bearing? Thanks for the help I really want to get the parts ordered today.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

I'm going to raise this one from the dead.

My understanding is that Versailles have big bearing ends (NOT the Torino/Late big bearing ends.)

In other words, The big bearings ends have a 3.5" x 2.375" pattern such as the Versailles end.

The Late/Torino big bearing ends have a 3.56" x 2" pattern which to my understanding is the same as some Explorers.

I bring this up to see if anyone can confirm this or correct me. I'm getting ready to order rear disc brakes and cannot make my way down to my shop for a couple of days to measure.

Fred
Old 05-06-2010, 12:43 AM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

You are correct. I went ahead and ordered the Currie brakes and they would not work. I ended up eating shipping both ways. It sucked. My flange bolt pattern is 3.5" by 2 3/8". I plan on doing the Cobra rear brake conversion, likely next winter, and will use the brackets from Mustang Steve dot com. Good luck and hopefully this helps. At least I can answer my own question from almost 3 years ago.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:26 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

What are you going to do with your old Versailles parts like calipers and hoses? Just wondering.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:07 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

oh man. flushisng down money for shipping sucks. i can't afford this living in Europe. I always need to quadriople make sure I have the right parts, which usually ends up taking a month before I order anything ...

anyway, check those out:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=11789

I have them in my car. I have a quickperformance racing rear. And from the mounting pattern you describe they could fit you. See specs on the webesite.

Someone once said (several people actually) that those brakes are the exact same as the ones from a Ford Explorer. maybe you can get them cheaper this way (just getting rear brakes for a ford explorer).

To get the handbrake going you need the lokar handbrake cable set (with attachment for explorer type brakes)

doublecheck with Lokar, but I believe I have one of those (no receipt with me):
http://www.lokar.com/product-descrip...ake-cables.htm
either of those:
EC-81FU Ford Explorer/Wilwood Explorer Style Rear Disc Cable Kit, Black Housing
EC-81FHT Ford Explorer/Wilwood Explorer Style Rear Disc Cable Kit, Stainless Hous
they should have the explorer clevis with it already

good luck!

Last edited by kalli; 05-06-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:03 AM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

Coupe, not really planning on doing anything with the old stuff. I did cut up one of the brackets but everything else is fine. Its yours if you want it if you pay for shipping.

Kalli, actually I believe that kit will not work for the housing ends in question. I did read somewhere that people were able to fit the explorer kit by enlarging the mounting holes a bit and using washers on the mounting nuts.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:46 AM
htwheelz67
3rd Gear Member

I got the currie cobra brackets for my versailles, for the early and they seem like they will fit fine, I havent completely put them on but mocked up one side. My problem was the holes on the brackets were larger than the holes on the rear, you cant drill them larger either, I have a buddy who runs an aircraft machine shop and he made me some titanium bushings with a collar that work perfect.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:49 AM
htwheelz67
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
What are you going to do with your old Versailles parts like calipers and hoses? Just wondering.
I have brand new unused rotors, calipers, brackets,dust sheilds, ebrake brackets, and used hoses if you are interested.