Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

The dreaded front leaf bolts!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 09:32 AM
iamdiffrnt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: The dreaded front leaf bolts!

I used a Sawzall on mine, major pain, a few bruises, and a few blades but it can be done!
Old 09-02-2007, 11:05 AM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

Wow, I can't believe you guys are having so much trouble... I changed my leafs and it was so easy that I don't even remember what you guys are talking about...
Old 09-02-2007, 08:31 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: restomod@16

ok I did this myself without the help of power tools, because well... i have none [:@]... anyways, what i did was jack up the leaf itself (as close as possible to the eye) this will take the tension off the bolt, and will make it easier to drive out in the end. Then i took a sledge and drove out the bolt.

Take a sledge to that puppy and beat it out, you could pound it from above (would not recommend as it could destroy the mounts + you may not have the clearance to hit it with enough force) or push it thru the hole with the screwdriver and a hammer (i would try this one first because it worked for me ) I have gotten used to taking the long way to do things such as this simple task, and it can get very aggravating but don't give up on it. I once spent 2 whole hours trying to get a single brake line off of a splicer [:@]. LoL goes to show u that stupidity and determination CAN go hand in hand. Also i would recommend spraying some type of lubricant (ie WD40) 15 minutes before you try to "pry" it out.GOOD LUCK, and let us know how it goes!
Update: Leaf springs are STILL on the car but I plan on doing alittle more tonight before I hit the hay and some tomorrow if I dont get it tonight(which I doubt). You other guys better feel lucky that your bolts came right out! Soon as get it all out Im going to collect up all the bolt peices, curse them, and throw them as hard as I can down into the woods

These CANT be driven back out the hole they came into. The bolts have long seized to the bushing sleeve, so now the bolt is physically bigger than the hole its in...
Old 09-02-2007, 11:49 PM
jaw66
2nd Gear Member

Gotta love East Coast corrosion............................
Old 09-03-2007, 11:04 AM
easttennmotors
2nd Gear Member

I cut the springs off below the mounting points and that way there was no tension what so ever on the bolts and 3 days of penetrating blast later they came out...Its never as easy as it is on those shows on spike tv or speed is it
Old 09-03-2007, 11:35 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: easttennmotors

I cut the springs off below the mounting points and that way there was no tension what so ever on the bolts and 3 days of penetrating blast later they came out...Its never as easy as it is on those shows on spike tv or speed is it
Lol, those 30 minute shows probably take 5 hours to record. And they arent working on 40+ year old cars most of the time.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:58 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I got the bastards off the car. Someone please find me the suspension engineer's name so I can backhand him a good one.

I WOULD NOT suggest anyone follow my approach as to getting the bolt cut. My 5" cutoff wheel couldnt reach the bolt between the inner eye and frame rail, so I took the protection shield off and put a 6.5" blade on it. Very careful with the fingers. Buzzd it off real quick. A sawzaw would probably work great.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:29 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Didn't you just try to unbolt them first? When I did mine the passenger side came right out. Unbolted the grade 8 bolt and dropped the spring. Unfortunately the drivers side blot was bent and it couldn't come out. I took off the nut but had to use a sawz all to hack the bolt into two pieces in order to allow it to pass through the holes.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:28 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: baddog671

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I got the bastards off the car. Someone please find me the suspension engineer's name so I can backhand him a good one.

I WOULD NOT suggest anyone follow my approach as to getting the bolt cut. My 5" cutoff wheel couldnt reach the bolt between the inner eye and frame rail, so I took the protection shield off and put a 6.5" blade on it. Very careful with the fingers. Buzzd it off real quick. A sawzaw would probably work great.
Lucky!! I took two days off and I am gonna try to mess with it again tomorrow.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:50 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bodyputtyless
Didn't you just try to unbolt them first? When I did mine the passenger side came right out. Unbolted the grade 8 bolt and dropped the spring. Unfortunately the drivers side blot was bent and it couldn't come out. I took off the nut but had to use a sawz all to hack the bolt into two pieces in order to allow it to pass through the holes.
These CANT be driven back out the hole they came into. The bolts have long seized to the bushing sleeve, so now the bolt is physically bigger than the hole its in...

Quick Reply: The dreaded front leaf bolts!