Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I'm starting to hate my pertronix....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 09:20 PM
blane17
2nd Gear Member

Default I'm starting to hate my pertronix....

I installed a pertronix a few months back, replacing the old points. Car ran great for a few days. Then had trouble starting it. I checked the spark and it was orange, not hot enough. I then decided to bypass the pink resistor wire and get a ful 12V. Car ran great and had a blue spark. So, a couple months later, the car has troouble starting again. I figure it either needs a carb rebuild or new fuel filter. I replace the fuel filter and the car still had trouble starting. Before rebuilding the carb, I decided to check the spark again. It's freaking orange again... WTF?!? What the hell am I doing wrong???? Do I have a bad unit or did i run the wire to the ignition wrong?

Old 09-01-2007, 09:23 PM
doc540
1st Gear Member

Default RE: I'm starting to hate my pertronix....

Might be a dumb question, but did you replace the stock coil with a hot one?
Old 09-01-2007, 09:33 PM
az1966
2nd Gear Member

welcome to the world of pertronix...same crap gotta used one back after spending big bucks replacing everytine else,,they stand behind their warrnty,, NOT IN FRONT OF IT,,,their claim was nothing wrong with the unit ,,me and 2 friends almost got whip lash cause of it;s dieing,,, on the sarface,, it seems it's ok for a hanger queen but not for dailey driving,,good luck!!!
Old 09-01-2007, 09:35 PM
JamesW

Wow..I had an original Pertronics and never had a bit of problem...
Old 09-01-2007, 09:57 PM
blane17
2nd Gear Member

i replaced the coil as well with a matching pertronix. what do i do now? new pertronix? new coil? what should i be testing?
Old 09-03-2007, 01:27 PM
blane17
2nd Gear Member

So here's where I'm at.... I have a Pertronix II wired directly to the ignition swith, bypassing the pink resistor wire. I attached my multimeter to the positive side of the coil and to the negative battery terminal. With the engine off, but the ignition turned to "ON". I get about 11.5-12volts at the coil. The problem is, I still have a weak orange spark. What should I be looking at? Bad pertronix? Worn rotor? Worn distributor cap? What could be causing this? Thanks guys?
Old 09-03-2007, 03:43 PM
rouge67
1st Gear Member

Replace the Pertronix by the old mechanical points. And check howit runs. I'm not sure that Pertronix II is well adapted for your Mustang. What kind of spark plugs do you have ? Is your timing point good ? And your spark plugs wires ?
Old 09-03-2007, 04:28 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

We don't like the petronix also. They burn out quite a bit.(Although they always say they've never heard of it) I would look in a slightly different direction. The pertonix just trips, and cause te system to fire. Don't have anyhting to do with the amount of spark it gets.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:26 PM
az1966
2nd Gear Member

ya... got their flame thrower coil and a really loose 35 gap on ap46 plugs no mpg or performance improvement,,,kills me that I spent big bucks on everything else to prove it was their unit and they came back with no issues found,,and sent what had to be a used unit, to get past the 30 month curb side warranty,,,nicer to know that their customer service never calls to confirm the fix or performance or even getting the "new" unit
Old 09-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Tomphot
1st Gear Member

The problems always seem to happen with the II model.
I have the original and have never had any troubles.

Quick Reply: I'm starting to hate my pertronix....