Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

My first decent break - scored an exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Curse The Sky
1st Gear Member

Default My first decent break - scored an exhaust system

Being 21, in college, and not rich kinda makes it hard to restore one of these. So far I haven't had much bad luck, but I definately haven't had any easy breaks either. Yesterday, I finally got lucky.

I found someone selling a "complete exhaust setup for a 1966 Mustang" and called on it. They said it had some surface rust, included "stock mufflers," and they'd take $150 for the entire thing. It was 2/3rds of the way across the state (Connecticut isn't very big; two hour drive), and I was expecting to find a bunch of rusted pipes, MAYBE with some useable headers. Man was I wrong.

The guy had the entire thing laid out on the lawn when I got there. I was shocked when I pulled in to a bunch of shiney two-and-a-half inch aluminized pipes with alittle bit of rust on the H pipe and the pipes out of the mufflers, and just a few scuffs on the Tri-Y's. Apparently the guy owned two showroom quality '66 GT-350s that he sold about two years ago, and this was the exhaust from one of them before he swapped it out. After happily paying the $150, and loading it all up, he came back out with a box of miscellaneous stuff that he said he'd sell for another $50. Everything was brand new, still in the box, and most of them still had the prices on them. A fuel pump, two solenoids, at least a dozen clamps and hangers for the exhaust, random carburetor and air pan parts, a few gaskets, a small can of high temperature paint, etc. I didn't really need the stuff, but I took it anyway - having spares is always nice. Either he wanted to get rid of stuff, or he felt guilty (?) about walking away with $200... he came back out and gave me a perfect front windshield, and a few grill trim pieces.

Overall, that was one worth while trip.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Default RE: My first decent break - scored an exhaust system

Holy crap, nice find! The 2-1/2" pipes are a little big for your C code, but I'm sure it'll like that exhaust better than the factory setup. Enjoy
Old 09-03-2007, 11:38 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Good one man. That windshield alone probably cost more than the 200..
Old 09-03-2007, 12:15 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

That was definately worth the trip. That's probably a $500-$600 system. What kind of mufflers?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Curse The Sky
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Starfury

Holy crap, nice find! The 2-1/2" pipes are a little big for your C code, but I'm sure it'll like that exhaust better than the factory setup. Enjoy
I'm planning on making it a 347 stroker (if I can find a decent price on a kit) with a better cam, intake, and carb. If that doesn't work out, I'll see if I can squeeze in a stroked 351W or 351C and build that up. It would be nice to put this all into a fastback, but I can't find anyone selling one for a price I can afford.

The mufflers are the "stock" GT-350 mufflers. I'll look for part numbers later to see what I can figure out. The only thing I didn't get out of the deal was the gaskets.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:55 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Your not going to easily fit a Cleveland into a 65-66 engine bay. Stick with a windsor engine.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-03-2007, 02:33 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Fastbacks are overrated, coupes FTW! [8D]
Old 09-03-2007, 02:44 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

Wait till you're outa college to build the Fastback, bro. That's what I've resigned myself to! When I'm out and have adecent job, I'm building an AC Cobra...
Old 09-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Pffft, I'm a college student andmy 67fb is my only car:P
Old 09-03-2007, 04:04 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Im also a college student and thats why it takes me forever to get something done[8D]. Tuiton blows~

Quick Reply: My first decent break - scored an exhaust system