Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Can we talk ANTI-THEFT for a bit folks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 09:12 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

Default Can we talk ANTI-THEFT for a bit folks?

I was just wondering if I can pick some of your minds about some of your best anti-theft measures for protecting your classic...

Here is what I've got so far:

Viper alarm
+Tilt sensor
+Hood sensor
+Trunk sensor
+Door Sensors
+Starter Kill

Backup Battery Kill switch hidden in car

Custom Hood Lock with Huge Assed Hardened Master Lock for extra deterrant

Club on the steering wheel every night (I know that wont do much but its a little deterrant)

Locking Wheel Lugs

I am thinking about GPS but dont want to spend $700 for lojack. Anyone know of any good DIY alternatives?
Thanks and hope to hear from some more of you urban cowboys!
Old 09-04-2007, 09:27 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Can we talk ANTI-THEFT for a bit folks?

A little thing...you could put a simple toggle switch on your ignition wire that wouldnt allow it to start flipped one way, but start the other. You could just put it under the dash out of the way...
Old 09-04-2007, 09:43 PM
jcomp
2nd Gear Member

I've got a removable steering wheel in one of my cars. I usually just lock it in the trunk since it takes a key to put it on or take it off.

I think the best theft solution is some good insurance. You can't prevent the thieves from using a tow truck.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

sllep in the back with a 12 guage. you asked for cowboy advice.LOL
Old 09-04-2007, 09:58 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

The toggle switch for the ignition is actually what I was referring to with the "Backup Battery Kill Switch" for lack of a better way to put it. And that is a great idea! Glad the previous owner had already done that one for me, I just moved it to a new and less obvious location.

I think the insurance is key also. I have it insured through my regular insurer... State Farm. I have been loyal to them even though they are not the cheapest because of the way they have taken care of me whenever I had a claim (which fortunately has not been for quite awhile now!)

Does anyone have any experience with any of the Classic Auto specific insurance companies?

And I love the 12 gauge shotgun idea. Hopefully when my alarm wakes me up at night, my .357 will suffice.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Curse The Sky
1st Gear Member

Unfortunately, if someone is THAT determined to get into your car, they will. Actually, scratch that - they don't have to get into your car... if nothing else, they can roll or tow it away. You have to consider two types of thieves: opportunists, and those that are out there to make a living on it.

Opportunists will see your stunning, shining classic and figure it's easy to break into and worth a good amount of money. Everything you have in the car sounds like it should be plenty. Other than that, you could get DYI fancy, such as including brackets mounted to the floor beneth the gas pedal, so you can lock in a bar that keeps them from giving it anything - or below the brake / clutch to keep them from shifting. If you're getting really fancy, you could mount a metal conduit and run the wires out of the ignition switch through it to keep people from hotwiring it. Simple things can buy you precious time too - take a normal inline fuel filter, seal one end, and install it somewhere before the carb; swap it out for a good one when you're ready to go. Some of those things seem impractical, and probably cause you to spend five or ten minutes unbolting everything before you jump in the car and go; I would only go through all of that if I knew the car was going to be parked for an extended period of time in a risky area, and even then, I'd probably just take another car.

On the other hand, the career guys are another matter. Honestly, there's a lot you can do to slow them down, but in the end, nothing is going to ultimately stop them. Bolts and locks can be cut (with cutters or a torch), panels can be removed (keep in mind, if they have to wreck a hood, door, window, or fender to get into something, they probably will), wiring can be rerouted, and locks can be picked. A GPS would definately make me feel more secure, but even then, it's costly, and only "works" AFTER your car has been stolen.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as "nothing can be done," but it is true - keeping people out isn't easy. As a last resort, you could somehow record your own alarm "sound;" for example, a recording that screams:"Be advised, someone is breaking into a [color] [year] mustang in your area!" Heh, at least it wouldn't be as ignored as the normal alarm sounds.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Mr. Classic EFI
2nd Gear Member

Kinda like Ignition kill switch, except EFI fuel pump kill switch. Engine still cranks, just no can start!!
Plus battery in the trunk, & disconnect.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:28 PM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

dont drive it if your that worried.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:21 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

1970coupe
2nd Gear Member
dont drive it if your that worried.
That is simply not an option. It is not so much that I am totally paranoid about where I keep the car now. It is jus that unfortunate past experiences make me view protecting my car as a "game" of sorts.

It's a little bit of "How many hoops can I make Joe Thief jump through to get my car?"

And if he gets it anyways, I lost. And I'll get over it. That's all.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:02 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

good car insureance is best you cant stop a towtruck or a gun in your face.

Quick Reply: Can we talk ANTI-THEFT for a bit folks?