Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Opinions on lowering the front end

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 04:16 PM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

Default Opinions on lowering the front end

After a couple other threads concerning raising the rear of my '67 Coupe, most people commented that I need to lower the front. Now that I've thrown away $130 on leaf springs, I understand where they're coming from.

I have no idea why the front is so high. Someone suggested I might have big block springs in it currently.

So here's the question: Do I buy stock springs, or do I go with something designed to lower the car? My signature pic shows the car's current stance.

MustangsUnlimited has these stock springs:
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=CS8304+01

These also look interesting... 560 lb springs that lower the car 1". But if I do have big block springs, will I be lowering it more like 2"?
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=GT515+01

Finally, here's a 620 lb 1" lowering kit. Same concerns as the one above. Also, how much stiffer will the car be with these over the 560s?
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=C307KIT+01
[align=right]
[/align]
Old 09-05-2007, 04:19 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Opinions on lowering the front end

My opinion,

Take the front springs out, cut 1/2 coil off each one and put them back in.
Drive the car around the block
If it is still too high, take out the front springs, cut 1/4 coil off each one and put them back in.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:22 PM
69 redruM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dodgestang

My opinion,

Take the front springs out, cut 1/2 coil off each one and put them back in.
If it is still too high, take out the front springs, cut 1/4 coil off each one and put them back in.
X2 (this is what i am going to do to my 69)
Old 09-05-2007, 04:23 PM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

Are you suggesting I cut and use what I have? I've been told cutting the springs is a bad idea because it totally changes the spring rate. Depending how hard they are to remove & install (and cut), this plan sounds like it could be long and tedious.

How much do you think 1/2 coil will lower it?
Old 09-05-2007, 04:30 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nassaubayman

Are you suggesting I cut and use what I have? I've been told cutting the springs is a bad idea because it totally changes the spring rate. Depending how hard they are to remove & install (and cut), this plan sounds like it could be long and tedious.

How much do you think 1/2 coil will lower it?
Taking the coil out, cutting 1/2 coil off and re-installing it will be the exact same amount of work as putting brand new ones in...with one very strong benefit...you will be 100% certain the car will sit lower when you bolt it back together.

This is a Saturday job start to finish for a relatively competant shade tree with the correct tools. You will need a spring compressor which many people don't own, other than that standard tools are all you need. You don't need to take anything major apart.

Jack the car up at the sub frame letting the wheels sag.
Take of the wheels
Take of the shock tower cover
Unbolt the top of the shock
Take of the shock tower cap
Unbolt the shock
Insert spring compressor
remove spring
cut
re-install

The spring rate will go up slightly as you cut, but I have serious doubts it will be enough for you to notice. Considering just how high your car is now that is why I say start with a 1/2 coil and then if it is still too high go with a 1/4 after that.

It isn't hard just mark them carefully to make sure you take off the same amount on each and use a cut of wheel if you have one. If not, sazsaw with tungsten steel blade will also make quick work of it.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:33 PM
69 redruM
1st Gear Member

cut the springs with a band saw not a torch (torch will reduce the spring rate)

1/2 coilshould be about 1"

i want to drop the front of mine 2" so i am going to start by cutting3/4 coil and try it out

you will need to align car after you get the ride height set where you want it
Old 09-05-2007, 05:04 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

I dropped the fron of my stang about an 1" and it gave it an awesome stance and actually made the overall front stiffer. The car barley moves up there, which is the way I like it. On your car a 1" should be a good start.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:08 PM
blueovalboy7
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 66JameStang

I dropped the fron of my stang about an 1" and it gave it an awesome stance and actually made the overall front stiffer. The car barley moves up there, which is the way I like it. On your car a 1" should be a good start.
How did you drop it though, new springs or did you cut your springs like Nick mentioned?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:17 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

Actually i had to buy the springs my car originaly had an i-6 in it so the springs would not have been enough for the weight of the V8(or so I think) I bought this set of springs right here and the instal was not bad and it gave me the ride height and firmness I wanted.

http://mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=C305+01
Old 09-06-2007, 09:28 AM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dodgestang

Taking the coil out, cutting 1/2 coil off and re-installing it will be the exact same amount of work as putting brand new ones in...with one very strong benefit...you will be 100% certain the car will sit lower when you bolt it back together.

It isn't hard just mark them carefully to make sure you take off the same amount on each and use a cut of wheel if you have one. If not, sazsaw with tungsten steel blade will also make quick work of it.
That's a very good point. Plus, the worst thing that can happen is I have to buy springs and do it a second time.

I have a die-grinder with a 4" cut-off wheel on it. Do you think that will be enough to cut through the spring?

Quick Reply: Opinions on lowering the front end