Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Can you help me positively ID this REAR END? thx!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 03:40 AM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

Default Can you help me positively ID this REAR END? thx!

Hey folks,
I have another favor to ask you. I am looking at some pics I took of my 68 Coupe baby's belly. Everything I know is telling me it is an 8".
Does it look like that to you?
My concern is that I am running with a 347 Stroker and I want to make sure my rear end is strong enough. I have no reasonfor concern but have only been calling this girl mine for about a month. I dont plan on racing her or anything like that, mostly street legal driving and spinning the tires here n there of course. Not doing sideshows or beating up on her.

Is the 8" enough? Do I need to upgrade to something bigger? 8.8 or 9"? There is a lot of talk about these bigger tails and it has me wondering if I need to place this on my list or not. Thanks for your time, I know this topic has been somewhat exhausted lately. Cheers.
Luke
Old 09-06-2007, 03:48 AM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Can you help me positively ID this REAR END? thx!

I can't tell from that angle, can you take a pic from the back? And if it is an 8" then its only a matter of time before your 347 (if it hooks up) blows it apart.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:29 AM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

So you think I will blow the 8" up.... here are some pics from the rear angle. One without flash, one with. The weird thing is that there are dimples on both sides and I didnt think that was a characteristic of the 8" but it cant be an 8.8 and I dont think it is a 9...

It is also almost impossible to see but there is another indentation on the rear center of the housing, very small. Dont know if that is damage or the way it should be... You can barely see it in the pic without a flash, its really faint, just barely rightof the center...

If anyone out there has had experience with an 8" blowing apart from a 347, I would love to hear about it. What should I expect to have to replace if that happens? Would it be smarter to just get a bigger diff in there?

Remember I am not driving this thing too hard. And so far, every time I let in on the gas pedal, things feel very solid. AND I have a C4, not manual. Isnt automatic transmission easier on the diff? Seems like I read that somewhere....... Am I tripping? Thanks.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:34 AM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

If you're not leaving on a transbrake or anything then yeah an auto is alot easier on rear. If you're not driving it hard then whats the347 for???? Get out there and wail onthat bitch, lol! And that looks an awful lot like a 9" to me...
Old 09-06-2007, 04:39 AM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

Well the guy that I bought the thing from said it was a 9 but I never bothered to look into it. I cant find any pics online of 9"ers that look like this one. So I just started thinking it was an 8.
It wouldnt make much sense since he spent a sh@tload of cash on the 347 kit professionally built in San Francisco, hooker competetion headers, demon carb, msd, RPM AirGap Edel intakes, new C4 StreetFighter and so on...
I guess I need to get out the old measuring tape and figure out where to measure from...
Thanks for your help here! Hope it is a 9!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 04:43 AM
blueovalboy7
4th Gear Member

It looks like my 8", but from what I just read online I'm not too sure, here is the site if you want to look.
http://www.maliburacing.com/ford_9_i..._nine_inch.htm

Old 09-06-2007, 04:50 AM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

Thanks for that link Brian.
I was just looking at those pics really closely. There is a lot of info to read and that will have to come tomorrow when i can see straight.
Thanks for your help!
Old 09-06-2007, 04:52 AM
blueovalboy7
4th Gear Member

Anytime, I enjoy trying to help, because I generally learn something everytime I do.

Well I'm looking around and what's throwing me off is that you're diff doesn't have a fill plug on the housing, but every picture I find of an 8 has a fill plug in it. I'll keep searching.

(Sorry for the many edits to my post, I'm kinda tired and I had been drinking)
Old 09-06-2007, 04:55 AM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

haha, i wish i was drinking. I didnt notice the edits til you mentioned it, no worries. hmmm... I dont know what to make of it yet...

damn i am glad i am not the only nocturnal internet addict around.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:57 AM
blueovalboy7
4th Gear Member

Haha, yea I don't sleep well, and well as for the drinking I don't have anything but water and beer so I chose the beer.

Quick Reply: Can you help me positively ID this REAR END? thx!