Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How to choose a stang

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 09:09 PM
mustangme

Default How to choose a stang

My son and I have been shopping for a 65-69 mustang. What should we pay attention to regarding VIN and options? What makes the car worth more? We plan to spend 5-6K
We want a V8 w/AT and ready to drive. We dont mind working on the power train or interior but want to stay away from body and rust.
We found one with power steering,brakes, tilt steering and a/c. It appears to be a good deal.. It is out of state - we have looked at photos.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:52 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Default RE: How to choose a stang

I am no proffesional at mustangs, or older ones for that matter but there are a few things that you should look out for..

Make sure all of your VIN numbers match.. there are books to find that will help you out with this.. not only the different numbers on the car itself, but also that they all match up with what they should be...ie the engine the seller claims, as to the one in the VIN

second. like you said, STAY AWAY FROM RUST... there are so many places to look for this at, mainly floor boards, trunk, then surface rust on the frames... if you can, life the carpet on the interior, look by the rear floor boards too.. if the owner doesnt like you snooping through a 6,000 dollar car, somthing should seem odd...my dad bought a 72 Mach 1, and we knew that there was some rust,, well, some turned inot some more, then somemore, climaxing in rusted holes in the trunk and floorboard,,things looked fairly solid,

ive read in magazines that it is defiately better to get something cosmetically sound, like with no rust, than it is to get somthing with a good engine, but a **** poor body.. mechanical things are always cheaper,,well, usually

finially what do you have in mind? are you looking for power? or just a cruiser?
cause a 65 GT with a 289 is completely differnet than a 69 Mach 1 with a 351

good luck,
Old 02-14-2005, 07:16 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I would never consider buying a vintage Mustang before I had the opportunity to drive it and inspect it carefully for rust. Rust is the number one problem with these cars, especially if it is from the rust belt. Look for one in Arizona or California if you are going to go out of state.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:50 AM
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

Make sure all of your VIN numbers match.. there are books to find that will help you out with this.. not only the different numbers on the car itself, but also that they all match up with what they should be...ie the engine the seller claims, as to the one in the VIN

good luck,
The #s on a old ford do not macth up to the vin #. They are not the same. The closed you can get is to make sure that is is the right year motor and drivetrain.

I am with everyone else. Get a rust free car with very little body work to be done. Now is the time to think about what you want out of a Mustang. Do you want a hotrod or a car to get youy from here to there or what. Then go out and look for that car.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:24 PM
72MachOne99GT

The #s on a old ford do not macth up to the vin #. They are not the same. The closed you can get is to make sure that is is the right year motor and drivetrain.
[sm=wtf.gif] that makes NO sense to me.......

you find the VIN on a old Mustang...then you compare the multiple locations on the car...making sure they match.....

im not sure what youre trying to say, that old VIN's and new VIN's dont match? [sm=dontgetit.gif] of course they wouldnt....oh well, im sure you'll clear that up for me if you understand what im trying to say

but yea, going south is a good idea if you want a solid car.... michigan however, like my dads, hmm, thats debateable
Old 02-14-2005, 03:07 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

what state are u in? ive got a stang 4 sale. 67 coupe ac ps pb.........
Old 02-14-2005, 05:29 PM
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

The drivetrain #s and the vin # are not the same.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:03 AM
72MachOne99GT

i know that they arent going to be the same number and everything, but arent they still going to match up

for example. my dads car is a 72 Mach 1

2f5Q..someting or another... the Q, is the 351 4v

isnt there going to be something on the drivetrain that lets him know that is what is in the car..

im just stressing to double check anything you are told by a seller as best you can...
thats all
Old 02-16-2005, 09:22 AM
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

Ok, thats right. And the motor # will be for the year or the car. All of these #s are to deep for me.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:50 PM
Gene68ragtop

Body work is the # 1 cost for the old mustangs. Take everything out of the trunk and inspect the wheel wells for rust. Check the front lower corner of the doors for rust bubbles. Check the front fenders near the lower doors for rust bubbles. Check the exterior portion of the wheel wells for rust. Take a magnet inside a hankerchief and run it along the car. Any place where it doesn't stick is suspected for "bondo". Start the engine, take a $ bill and hold it by the exhaust. If the dollar bill wants to get sucked into the exhaust, you probably have some engine issues. Start the car when it is cold to see how easily it starts. Check and see if everything works, wipers, heater fan, seat adjustments. If everything works, the car was most likely properly maintained. Good luck!

Quick Reply: How to choose a stang