Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

More '72 Mach 1 Questions and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Levitan

Default More '72 Mach 1 Questions and Updates

Man, what a good day in my neighborhood. For starts I came up with a good name for my Mach....Eleanhorror. Pulled the 4 bbl Holley carb and cleaned it up, added accelerator pump, and gaskets. Replaced fuel pump. Everything from tank to carb is new or rebuilt. Started right up!!! Runs great!! I do have some vacuum line questions.

Where do they go?

1. Vacuum nipple on the bottom side of air breather.
2. 2 males on a sending unit looking thing on the water pump.
3. Small cannister on one of the heater hoses back near the firewall.

I'm getting closer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:10 PM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: More '72 Mach 1 Questions and Updates

Give me a day or two..I've got mine where they belong and I'll take a couple shots to send you for reference. Thanks, Dean
Old 09-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Levitan

Thanks RSR, that would be fantastic. Now onto the next series of drama. I got the car out today and drove around the streets for about 10 minutes just so I'd have some sense of accomplishment. Came home, tried to restart, wasn't happening. So I pulled the alternator and took it to the parts store where they said it was bad. So I bought a new one for $30 and two new battery cables. Hooked everything up, started the car, ran fine. Shut it off, pulled the cap to view cap and rotor, not bad. Installed cap and rotor. Went to restart car, turned over, but wouldn't start. Shut key off and the car kept turning over!!!! Removed key, car still turning over, jump out, remove battery cable. Put tools away, come in here to whine to you guys and hope you can help me. What do I do now?
Old 09-12-2007, 05:29 PM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

Ahhhhhhhh the joys of owning an older car ! I wouldn't worry too much about the continuous cranking issue. I'll bet good money that either the solenoid or switch is bad. I suppose the starter could ground out and do the same thing but that's not likely. I'd try replacing the solenoid first since it's cheap and easy. If that doesn't cure it, keep the old solenoid for a spare... you'll someday be glad you did.

I'll get you those pics tonite.........

Dean
Old 09-12-2007, 06:33 PM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

Ok here's some pics...... The vac outlet on the water outlet goes like this.There is one vac line that runs to the vac port on the front of the carb. You'll see the exact port in the close up photo.

The two lines that run out of the air cleaner base... one of them goes to the vac tree in the rear of the intake manifold. The other went to a vac port on the EGR plate I think. I used a 71 Boss 351 Ram Air aircleaner, plenum and flappersand the EGR plate couldn't be used so I put it in the attic.

I'm not really sure what vac lines you're talking about near the firewall. I've added several pics so maybe you can point it out in the photos. One thing to keep in mind is that my car is a NON A/C car. If yours has air, it may be different. I've got all of the factory parts manuals so if we have to, I can look the lines up in the Ford books.

Hope this helps and please forgive me for the engine compartment being so dirty. I have yet to clean it this year and it needs it. Eight pictures to follow. Five in this post, three in the next.................

Thanks, Dean

[IMG]local://upfiles/26494/FC3EF71FB55F4E05AF943480304398DE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26494/6F32AF7B507745E7A391012674AB2D28.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26494/20F82888628C48E082DBD75D598837D1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26494/57F49431521E4CAEA163867CC5611FC7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26494/26371DE4F1BE45469C63DB26219BFE59.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-12-2007, 06:35 PM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

three more.........................

[IMG]local://upfiles/26494/3C6D01FC25BD4841B897F6BC76C30AD2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26494/285E798420C746438343C94BD14CD2E9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26494/BF5983FE5BB64CA1A5320A0AC7EA2041.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Levitan

Hey RSR,
On the fourth picture down I think I see a vacuum leak.....an uncapped nipple. Nipple? What do they call them so I don't sound too girly everytime I say nipple?
Old 09-12-2007, 10:02 PM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

Vac port, outlet or nipple will all work fine. If you're talking about the pic with the capped port and the object behind it ... that's the screw head on the heater hose clamp. I used the original style clamps and they used an exposed screw head. Good eye though... I had to go look to make sure. Letme know if I can help on any other stuff.

OHHHHHHHH I SEE IT NOW ! That's where the vac line form the heat riser goes. When I removed the air cleaner for the pics I had to take that hose loose. The heat riser diaphragm mounts on the air cleaner snorkle and the hose runs from it back to that tree. You'll see the diaphragm inthe pic with the air cleaner on. Good eye just the same
Old 09-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Levitan

Hey Dean, I do have a few things different and a couple questions. For starts I have a Holley 4160 4 bbl mounted on an Eelbrock Torker(?).

I do know which outlet beneath the carb that runs down to thevacuum outleton waterpump.

1. What does that vacuum outlet on the waterpump do?

2. In picture 2 and others, what is the blue cannister with 3 vacuum lines coming out of it?

I have a former a/c car without any of the pumps. The cannister I was talking about does not appear in any of your photos so I'm guessing it is a/c related. No big deal, I'll address that later.

As far as a dirty engine compart, get real! Yours looks showroom compared to mine.

I understand where the vacuum line goes from the bottom of the air cleaner to the outlet on the back of the carb. I have a multiple outlet with one plugged port which I will attach to.

Picture 8 is the one that intrigues me the most due to the electrical fiasco I went through today. In your pic I see the solenoid mounted above the voltage regulator. I think I'm using the right wordage. Anyways, I have an additional box. It is analuminum electrical box mounted on the flat spot in front of the shock tower. It has been ghetto wired in, between the solenoid and the coil/distributor....I think. I will update that tomorrow when I can see. Any ideas what it may be, maybe a voltage enhancer of some kind? I may need to get a wiring schematic and rewire that area, which I am not scared to do....as long as I have a schematic to go by.

Dean, you are being a great help. I know nothing about Fords, so this is a whole new adventure for me.Thanks again!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:51 PM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

Has someone put a later model breakerless ( electronic ) ignition in your car ? If so, that may be the spark box that you are referring to. As for the function of all of the do-dads... I'll have to reference the factory manuals for that. I wanted this car to be a nice restoration so I put everything back as best I could. In the old days .... I'd have thrown that crap away .

On second thought ..... DON'T THROW THAT BOX AWAY JUST YET ! The factory installed rev limiters were mounted in that location. Your car shouldn't have one on it BUT if someone put it on there years ago... that's a huge bonus. Those things bring CRAZY money to someone trying to restore a 69-71 big horse car.

As for the solenoid and voltage regulator ... you're using the right terms and they were factory positioned right where you see them.

Quick Reply: More '72 Mach 1 Questions and Updates