Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

protect your wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 02:38 AM
ShAkE N BaKe!!
2nd Gear Member

Default protect your wheels

Im going to install my new wheels this weekend and was wondering what lugs/locks you guys recommend?
Old 09-14-2007, 07:30 AM
shr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: protect your wheels

i hate to say this but the snap-on/matco/mac tool sales people sale tool kits to remove saftey lock lugs, it makes life pretty easy so i think that they are a good idea but never completely safe. i would get a keyed type lug not thos hex or star bit lugs. those are probably your best bet
Old 09-14-2007, 08:45 AM
65StangFB
2nd Gear Member

Unfortunately there are tools that you hammer on and take them right off. It sounds absurd, but you could have 5 sets of locking nunts to make life a little harder for the theif. Like ESPN says "You can not stop him; you can only hope to contain him"
Old 09-14-2007, 10:20 AM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

65Stang and shr are right...
I have a set of locking lugs that the previous owner had and they are the mostly useless star shaped lugs. I would probably just buy a better set from Kragen or whatever your local auto parts store is. I have always had a set on my wheels in every car I have had. I have never had my rims jacked but I know a few people who have, in their own garages and right on a busy street. I have seen plenty of cars sitting on milk crates and cinderblocks right on busy streets (that is Oakland for ya!) The locking lugs are definitely not a guarantee but it makes things more difficult for the thief which sometimes is all you need. Thieves are often very lazy and stupid, this is why they are thieves. I think the most important thing is that you make it as difficult as possible for a thief to get the car.
One thing you might consider if you have not already... I have a Viper alarm on my 68 and I have a feature that will set off the alarm if the car is lifted more than 1 degree from where it was at when the alarm was armed (i.e. jacked up to get the wheels). It is a good idea. Then you need to make sure that it is not easy for a thief to get to your alarm to cut the wire or disable the siren. I paid less than $400 for my alarm installed.
Below is my hood locking contraption. The Hardened Master lock is somewhat of a deterrant.
BTW, I am sorry I have not been able to help with your backspacing question. I live on a busy street and park my car on gravel and if you can believe it I dont have a jack anyways so removing a wheel has not been a viable option this week. I hope you are able to get the information you need from other sources.
I will look forward to seeing the results on your ride! Have a great weekend!

Old 09-14-2007, 10:45 AM
65StangFB
2nd Gear Member

Would you mind showing/telling how you did that set up? I have been thinking how I am going to do that and it involved cable coming out at the bottom. Not completely thought through yet. Thanks
Old 09-14-2007, 10:57 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I've removed tons of wheel locks with nothing more than a deep-well 1/2" drive socket and a hammer. Dirve the socket on with the hammer, then turn the socket with a ratchet or breaker bar. If I can do it, any thief can.

If they want it, they'll get it. Best bet is to be careful where you park the car. I know this is no help, and I'm not telling you you shouldn't get the locks, just be mindful that locks are not enough.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:01 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

Hey 65Stang... I will try to get some pics to post on here over the weekend. Basically the bottom lock loop was easy. The top was hard because I have a fiberglass hood. It is far from being theft proof if the thief is willing to destroy the hood to get into the engine bay. Of course a determined thief would be. The idea here is deterrant. Plus someone is going to have to make a lot of noise getting the hood open, setting off the alarm, disarming it somehow, getting past my ignition kill switch, etc...

If I was going to steal my car, I would simply tow it. That is what a pro would do. And if/when that happens, I will just have to buy another one. Its a game you play with these cars and sometimes you lose.