Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

next thing on the to do list

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 02:08 AM
ShAkE N BaKe!!
2nd Gear Member

Default next thing on the to do list

I need to buy a good alarm for my car to (help) prevent those wanting to steal personal belongings or worse, my car. I want it to go off anytime my car is tampered with.
Does anyone have any of those alarms with a lcd remote and notifys you when/where your is be tampered with?(how do you guys like it?)
Is it possible to put "any" type of alarm system from a electronics store? or are there some that would not work with our old classics? sorry if thats a stupid question but Im totally new to these alarms.[&:]
...I need 2 get this done soon.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:32 AM
eescapethefate
1st Gear Member

Default RE: next thing on the to do list

http://www.viper.com/ herd those were pretty good

http://www.viper.com/Products/Produc...?ProductID=107
Old 09-15-2007, 06:16 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

get a removeable steering wheel. honestly good insurance is your best bet a alarm wont stop a tow truck.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:00 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

I have always used Viper alarms and have never had my car stolen. I have not upgraded to the 2-way remote but I would recommend it even though you will pay a premium for it. I would expect the base alarm to cost around 600-700 with the 2-way remote pager. Without it, your base alarm would be under 300 installed, but with a few decent extras, you could get a nice alarm for around 400.

You can get a lot of info from the Viper site but I would suggest going down to a local alarm/audio shop and discussing your options. Just remember that if you install one of the base alarms without the 2-way pager, you wont be able to upgrade down the road without installing a whole new system. So if you are going to do it, do it from the start.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:57 PM
xian67
2nd Gear Member

yah it looks like that alarm systems costs around 400 - 450.

http://www.drdetailshop.com/V5002.htm

wow... found this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-VIPER-5002-2...QQcmdZViewItem

I have 2 quick questions. You know how some alarm systems says remote start up. Will that work on cars with carbs? And they also say keyless entry. Would i need to buy anything so it can be keyless?
Old 09-15-2007, 05:54 PM
ldollar
I ♥ Acer

1) I have heard that you need EFI for the remote startup on your classic but dont know for sure.

2) with the keyless entry feature, that will include a little motor that will power the locking mechanism. but your locks will need to be in very good functioning condition (i.e. lock and unlock very easily manually without any catching or difficulty). If not, the motors are not strong enough to lock/unlock the door and will wear out very quickly.

I do not have either feature on my 68. The remote starting is not something I need/want and my locks are not in good enough condition to work with the motors, especially my passenger side door. But I would really like to have that feature, maybe someday. That is an upgrade that can be added at any time down the road, unlike the 2-way pager.

BTW, that deal on eBay looks like a great deal to me. It doesnt surprise me though, if someone is reselling them without the overhead of operating a shop, they could get away with those prices. I would find someone on Craigslist who installs alarms and stereos and have them do that if you are on a budget or call some shops who sell & install Viper and tell them what you have, what you want to do, and get a quote for installation.

Unless of course you want to do a DIY job. Personally I would rather let the pros do it.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:17 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andrewmp6

get a removeable steering wheel. honestly good insurance is your best bet a alarm wont stop a tow truck.
neither will a removable steering wheel

but its still a good idea, someone wont try to steal a car with no steering wheel...unless they got a tow truck
Old 09-15-2007, 07:45 PM
ShAkE N BaKe!!
2nd Gear Member

yea, i've already been looking into the removable steering wheels. Im going to go to a shop a check out what they have and ask a few questions. thanks for the help guys
Old 09-15-2007, 08:04 PM
ShAkE N BaKe!!
2nd Gear Member

what do you guys think about a kill switch? what exactly do they do?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:25 PM
erikfall

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCa...door_locks.htm

Quick Reply: next thing on the to do list