Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Could it be my timing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 12:21 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Could it be my timing?

Your classic collection is getting larger I see pammie. Where is your coil situated? asI wonder if the coil is getting too hot and your are lossing spark at these higher temperature but when cooled it is nae bother.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:53 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sixtysix

I would check the points..simple fix Scott
I tried to buy them at the auto parts store, but my friend who manages it said it would not help and he knows the situation with my car. He feels it's fuel .... my mechanic is leaning that way, said that when it acts up, if you give it gas, it stalls, and if you don't, it stalls, so it's a fuel issue.

I'm just so frustrated at this point. I'm having him adjust the timing anyway as it appears to be way off ... not sure what else I can change/replace/fix but the carb is pretty new
Old 09-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

I hate to sound like a broken record, but

"How many turns are the idle mixture screws set at, what size is the carburetor, and what size is the motor? "
Old 09-18-2007, 09:53 PM
plainsman1876
2nd Gear Member

Go get a points eliminator Accel has agood one, thats what I did because my points kept closing shut , simple and not that expensive
Old 09-19-2007, 05:28 AM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daze

I hate to sound like a broken record, but

"How many turns are the idle mixture screws set at, what size is the carburetor, and what size is the motor? "
I don't know, 4 bbl, and 326
Old 09-19-2007, 09:36 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

The carburetor for a performance based motor that size should be between 575 and 625 cfm depending on other parts. To small a carburetor will cause loss of power at high RPMs and the motor to run hot. To large a carburetor will cause the car to run rough at low RPMs especially once the motor is up to temperature. As far as the idle mixture screws, check them so we know exactly where they are set. Do this by turning the screws in ½ turn at a time and count the turns. Once the screws stop you know where the screws were set at, you can screw them back out to where they were by counting, and you will have a number for us like 2 full turns or 4 half turns. If the screws are more than 2.5 full turns out you will probably need to retune the carb. When tuning the carburetor to get a good starting point turn the idle mixture screws all the way in being very careful not to over tighten them and then back them out 1.25 turns. That is a good initial setting where you can get the motor warm so it can be properly tuned. I would still like to know what the electrode on one of your spark plugs looks like. I have found that spark plug color is a really good way to tune a carburetor. A black plug means too rich, a white plug means too lean. What you want is a nice tan toasted marshmallow color.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:32 AM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

The plugs were old and rusty and were changed and tossed.

As far as the carb, "its a brand new 4 bbl edelbrock 800cfm carb" according to the kid who knows my car.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:11 AM
73 Sportroof
2nd Gear Member

800 cfm is way too big for a 326. You might try a 625cfm. I think Daze has the answers for you.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:07 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangPammie

The plugs were old and rusty and were changed and tossed.

As far as the carb, "its a brand new 4 bbl edelbrock 800cfm carb" according to the kid who knows my car.
No wonder you are having problems and don't need to use the choke. That is WAY TO MUCH carb!!!! If you do the math an 800 CFM carb is designed for a 400-460 As far as plug color it is the new ones I wanted to know about, what you do is pull one and look at it and then put it back. With that big a carb I know what color they are, black. That means that once you get the correct carburetor and get it tuned correctly you need to take the car out on the highway wind the motor up so you can clean off the plugs, because I have no doubt they are fouled.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:52 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

Ok, today I ordered a new Edelbrock 600 cfm carb with electric choke since you and others told me the carb was too big.

I guess I'll try to sell the 800 cfm since it's pretty new.

I'll have it on Monday

Quick Reply: Could it be my timing?